Would you log lawnmowing?

Options

Replies

• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Yes and for that little extra burn do the neighbors yard.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yes I log mowing. I use a pushmower and live where we have hot and humid Summers. When I mow, I don't use the front wheel drive to make it easier. I am pushing that mower through thick tall grass and will absolutley log it all day every day.
  • rdbartle1958
    Options
    Yes, I log lawn mowing. If you can't find it in the database, there are websites you can go to that tell you how many calories are burned doing various tasks (mowing lawn, pulling weeds, general gardening, raking, household chores, etc). Most of them base the calories burned on your weight and the number of minutes spent doing the particular activity. In my experience, the calories burned mowing the lawn are just a few more than walking at a normal pace. Good luck! :)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If it's a push mower and you have more than a 1/2 acre sure.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I log lawnmowing.

I'm set to sedentary, as it's not something I do everyday.
    It is a form of exercise, if you don't think so, feel free to come mow my lawn and then we can talk.

Not much different than people who go for a walk and log that.

It has nothing to do with "wanting" extra calories, it has everything to do with me tracking my Calories, be it calories in or calories out.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    No. When I see people logging lawn-mowing and cleaning it makes me think that they don't have enough willpower or determination to do a real workout. If you want extra calories for that type of stuff, buy a Fitbit. Then you can log only your intended workout and your Fitbit will give you any extra calories you've earned doing normal activities throughout the day.

Where can I get some of this willpower? Got any I could have?

Sure. Just send me three easy payments of $19.95 and I'll tell you all about you need to do this for yourself because no one can lose weight for you. I'll tell you my secret of how I gave up coffee and processed foods and have never felt better. I'll even share with you how I fell off the wagon, gaining everything back plus another 15 pounds, and yet somehow still was able to realize that I had to do this for me or I was only going to keep getting fatter. Order now! (Visa and MasterCard accepted!)

:bigsmile:

Make it one difficult payment of $60 and by God you got yourself a deal!
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No. When I see people logging lawn-mowing and cleaning it makes me think that they don't have enough willpower or determination to do a real workout. If you want extra calories for that type of stuff, buy a Fitbit. Then you can log only your intended workout and your Fitbit will give you any extra calories you've earned doing normal activities throughout the day.

Okay, so when I tromp up and down the stairs a couple 30 times, carrying laundry and vacuum cleaners and stuff....and I get down on my hands and knees and deep scrub the floors upstairs and down....and when I get out a ladder and clean the ceiling fans, double vacuum the carpets, sweep both huge porches, do the laundry, dishes, and change the bed sheets....YOU THINK THAT IS A LACK OF WILLPOWER because I log the cleaning??

So, I am dripping sweat and so tired that I have to take small breaks, but I lack willpower because I log that as additional exercise....LADY, YOU HAVE ISSUES TO HAVE POSTED THAT!! SERIOUSLY???!!
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I let my Fitbit do the calculating!
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you have "sedentary" as your basis then you can log it. But if you do, make sure are really moving while doing it. when I mow I build up a sweat and have an elevated heart rate. If I ever do something and don't feel like I burned anything, then I don't log it.
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally log any chores... I don't plan on eating them back, and I didn't do it for the sake of exercise, so I leave it alone. I do wear a Fitbit, though, which would automatically factor in lots of walking, especially since I have myself set to sedentary.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you? I log any activity that isn't part of my daily routine. It takes me an hour to push mow our yard, so yeah I log it. I also log shoveling snow, and cleaning my house more than the normal routine. I even log cooking for the family if it's a meal that requires more than the usual effort.

Anything that burns calories is a good thing right? Oh and I also don't eat the calories burned.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Okay, so when I tromp up and down the stairs a couple 30 times, carrying laundry and vacuum cleaners and stuff....and I get down on my hands and knees and deep scrub the floors upstairs and down....and when I get out a ladder and clean the ceiling fans, double vacuum the carpets, sweep both huge porches, do the laundry, dishes, and change the bed sheets....YOU THINK THAT IS A LACK OF WILLPOWER because I log the cleaning??

So, I am dripping sweat and so tired that I have to take small breaks, but I lack willpower because I log that as additional exercise....LADY, YOU HAVE ISSUES TO HAVE POSTED THAT!! SERIOUSLY???!!

Total lack. It's only considered a workout if you say to yourself, "Self, this is a workout...begin."
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Self propelled mower? No. Push mower? Maybe. But only if it took a long time, like an hour to do my yard, and there were inclines. Probably not though because I think logging regular activity as exercise is a cop-out for people who want to believe they're working out more than they really are.

If I don't have to lace up my trainers for it and change into dedicated workout clothes, it doesn't get logged. Period.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    It takes me 2.5 hours to push mow my lot, not counting trimming out before hand. Dang right I'm logging it (only half what MFP recommends btw, as previously stated).

I do it once a week. Definitely not an everyday thing.

Do I say "I'm going to workout, be back in a couple hours?", no, but I do still log it as calories burned. Derp.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    It depends. Last time I had to mow a lawn it was a push mower and 5 acres so if I do that again, I'll log it.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Of course I have issues. I have issues with people who makes excuses.

I'm not logging cleaning. Or mowing. Or cooking. Or any of those other crap "exercises." If you do, that isn't my concern.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Not sure if I'm pushing my luck on the exercise boundaries here, but just wondering if anyone would log 30mins of lawnmowing as exercise, or just keep it in you basic calorie burn? I know it's a bit OTT but curious on whether or not others would log.
    Cheers
    FYI - always happy for more friends to help on the journey so add me if interested in this and other awesome topics! :-))

Yes I would and my reason is not that I'd eat any of the calories burnt because I do NOT eat back any of them but to track ME... if I find I lost more inches or pounds or my sugar numbers have gone up/down then I can look back and see not only what I ate but what I was doing that was different or out of norm... so I say log it!
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    willpower?? really? I walk between 8-10 miles every morning before work. I don't mow the lawn everyday. I do have a fitbit. I burn almost 1000 calories when I mow my lawn (half of it is uphill) That is exercise. I am not riding my mower around, I am walking behind it pushing it, may not be exercise to you but it is to me. I do it in addition to my regular 8-10 miles. Willpower has nothing to do with it. At the end of the day my fitbit tells me I have walked between 18-20 miles a day. I log my workout and if I have another activity that gives me a good burn. Just walking around work or home or cleaning I don't log cause I do that all the time.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Total lack. It's only considered a workout if you say to yourself, "Self, this is a workout...begin."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But to the person who originally posted the "it's not a real workout" comment. It's not up to you to judge people's workouts or what a real workout is. I consider P90X3 to be a "real" workout, but a body builder may look at that and laugh at it. Everyone is in different moments. And what may be easy to you is going to be difficult for someone else.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Not sure if I'm pushing my luck on the exercise boundaries here, but just wondering if anyone would log 30mins of lawnmowing as exercise, or just keep it in you basic calorie burn? I know it's a bit OTT but curious on whether or not others would log.
    Cheers
    FYI - always happy for more friends to help on the journey so add me if interested in this and other awesome topics! :-))

I would if it was a push mower. Especially since this is how I mow...

sexylawnmowerhaha.gif