Options

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah!!!! I burn over 1000 calories when i mow the lawn!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Not sure if I'm pushing my luck on the exercise boundaries here, but just wondering if anyone would log 30mins of lawnmowing as exercise, or just keep it in you basic calorie burn? I know it's a bit OTT but curious on whether or not others would log.
    Cheers
    FYI - always happy for more friends to help on the journey so add me if interested in this and other awesome topics! :-))

I would if it was a push mower. Especially since this is how I mow...

sexylawnmowerhaha.gif

LOL! God, I miss the Dave Chappelle show!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Of course I have issues. I have issues with people who makes excuses.

I'm not logging cleaning. Or mowing. Or cooking. Or any of those other crap "exercises." If you do, that isn't my concern.

I don't call cooking, cleaning, or mowing "exercise." I would consider them activities.

What is your stance on people who log walking as their "exercise" of choice? I personally don't call it exercise, but certainly an activity which burns calories, more calories, than the activity "not walking."

Also, you do sound concerned.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    If it elevates the heart rate, why not log it?
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I'm not logging cleaning. Or mowing. Or cooking. Or any of those other crap "exercises." If you do, that isn't my concern.

I don't call cooking, cleaning, or mowing "exercise." I would consider them activities.

What is your stance on people who log walking as their "exercise" of choice? I personally don't call it exercise, but certainly an activity which burns calories, more calories, than the activity "not walking."

Feel free to message me if you feel the need to discuss my exercise habits, the reason I unfriend people who make excuses, my favorite color, political views, blood type, etc.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    What ever activity, exercise. craptivity you do log, if it fits and contributes to your goals, who gives a turd what others consider it.
  • hyperchase
    Options
    I use a Fitbit and it logs menial tasks like that for me based on steps taken, good enough for me.
  • MsRuhl
    MsRuhl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would, just because its not something that's apart of your everyday routine :)
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Feel free to message me if you feel the need to discuss my exercise habits, the reason I unfriend people who make excuses, my favorite color, political views, blood type, etc.

Why would I message you about your exercise habits? They have zero effect on mine. Glad we're not friends. I would hate to be unfriended for logging "exercises" you deem un-worthy.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that when I mow it is usually in 100 degree weather, high humidity. After I am done my clothes are soaked with sweat. To the person that doesn't think it should be logged, please feel free to come and push mow our tall thick grass anytime you want.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I would, just because its not something that's apart of your everyday routine :)

You don't mow everyday?
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am set to sedentary, so I would log it.
    This^^^
    I also DON'T eat my exercise calories. Everyone's preference is different. You need to do what works for you.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've decided not to log anything that has to happen, like house/yard work, walking the dog, grocery shopping. Advice from others on here has been to use that as a buffer for the inevitable logging errors and overestimating calorie burns for actual exercise

This is what I do. I'm always surprised when I see people on my friends list log things like running errands or shopping or cooking. I don't consider these things exercise, just part of my daily activities that have to get done.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I would like to add that when I mow it is usually in 100 degree weather, high humidity. After I am done my clothes are soaked with sweat. To the person that doesn't think it should be logged, please feel free to come and push mow our tall thick grass anytime you want.

ditto, minus the 100 degree part.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    << It takes me 2.5 hours to push mow my lot, not counting trimming out before hand. Dang right I'm logging it (only half what MFP recommends btw, as previously stated).

I do it once a week. Definitely not an everyday thing.

Do I say "I'm going to workout, be back in a couple hours?", no, but I do still log it as calories burned. Derp. >>

THIS :)
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: So true! Florida is so hot, people only mow a portion of their yard at a time, at fear of heat stoke.

ETA: grammatical errors.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Would you unfriend me if I logged 24 hours of breathing everyday? Breathing totally burns calories.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I may take a walk on lunch break in honor of this thread, just so I can log Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace.

Definitely wouldn't consider it "exercising" however it would contribute to my daily calorie allotment. Might not even change clothes to do it.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is where an activity tracker like a FitBit comes in really handy. I would probably not try to manually log things like mowing a lawn, walking through a mall, grocery shopping, etc, but FitBit picks up all of those steps.