HCG

Options
I need some advice from people who know what they are talking about or who have tried HCG.

I have a friend who has lost 30 pounds in a VERY short period of time using the HCG method of weight loss (drops and eating 500 calories a day). I think it's great that she is wanting to lose weight, but I know that HCG and the calorie deficit are very unhealthy for you. However, I don't have any real experience (I'm not a certified dietician or trainer) to explain to her why it is so important that she stops.
I want it to seem founded, and not come across as I'm "just jealous". I mean yeah, I'd love to lose 30 pounds in a little under a month, but I'd want to lose that 30 pounds the right way.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think those drops are actually dangerous. A scam, yeah. But I don't think the drops are real. People who get actual injections may be setting themselves up for trouble. But those OTC drops, from what I've heard, are nothing real.

It's the 500 calories/day that makes people lose weight. Everyone I know who has done this had to stop because they got hungry. I think your friend will, too. Just let it ride.

People go on fad diets all the time. But they go off of them. Lots of women spend their whole lives gaining and losing the same ten pounds. They're happy that way.

I wouldn't sweat my friends over fad diets. :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's the 500 calorie a day diet that made her lose weight, and the 500 calorie diet that is dangerous. Does she realize that most people put all of the weight on plus more after they stop? Also...it's not all fat she's losing, she's also losing muscle. It's hard to get that "toned" look so many women with little muscle mass. It's not sustainable, and it's not healthy.
  • jonesy2932
    jonesy2932 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did it. I am not sure how I did it. It was hard but I got to a certain point where I felt really good and I believed that the HCG was working. I never did the steps you are supposed to do after getting to your goal weight and gained it all back. She will gain it all back. At some point she is going to get sick of the diet, and start eating everything in sight. It can also mess up her metabolism.

HCG is the hormone that a woman's body produces while pregnant and makes sure the baby is getting calories. The doctor that came up with this diet was in Africa and noticed that women who were malnourished were having healthy babies and it was because of HCG. HCG made sure the babies were getting the nutrients it needed from its mom even if she was malnourished. He thought that maybe overweight people who took HCG it would have the opposite effect and flush out calories (aka fat). That is why you eat 500 calories because supposedly HCG is flushing out at least 1000 calories a day of fat. But looking back I am not sure. Yea it was great to lose weight so quickly. But like I said I gained it all back and am now trying to loose it the right way.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't think those drops are actually dangerous. A scam, yeah. But I don't think the drops are real. People who get actual injections may be setting themselves up for trouble. But those OTC drops, from what I've heard, are nothing real.

It's the 500 calories/day that makes people lose weight. Everyone I know who has done this had to stop because they got hungry. I think your friend will, too. Just let it ride.

People go on fad diets all the time. But they go off of them. Lots of women spend their whole lives gaining and losing the same ten pounds. They're happy that way.

My mom is the same way.
    It's her hobby to try fad diets & makes her feel relevant I guess.
    She gets to kvetch in the usual manner & when I try to talk sense to her, she says 'Oh, let me have my fun'....so I figured, why the hell not? :laugh:
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The HCG shot contains a hormone (If I remember correctly its one found in pregnant women) that promotes muscle retention. The weight loss your friend experienced is a result of the extremely strict diet yes. The shots help to reduce muscle loss so most of the weight statistically comes from fat and water.

Also worth noting. HCG is not offered or recommended for more than 1-2 months consecutively. Its not a lifetime plan. My mother did a HCG diet for 2 months with weekly checkups with her physician. She lost weight (about 20lbs) after being stuck at a plateau with a regular calorie restricted diet. The HCG shot helped with muscle retention (per the body fat testing at the Dr office). After the 2 months she went back to a regular calorie deficit. She did say she felt losing weight was easier afterwards... who knows if thats just the fact that a normal calorie intake felt like alot or if it was due to the fat loss and muscle retention?

Personally the thought of giving myself a shot every day for any reason is terrifying...way worse than the calorie restriction! No needles for me thanks! But to some people its worth it I guess
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My aunt does this 1-2 times a year EVERY year without fail. The reason she needs to do it so often is because she gains all the weight back that she had lost. My aunt is by no means even in the obsese catagory, but she refuses to count calories (I think because she drinks her body weight in wine every week) and she claims to not have time to work out with two kids.

So usually right before the holidays she goes on a month long cycle, gets cranky, drops weight, and then gains it all back in like three months. Right before summer same thing.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    First of all, the drops are bogus. Even if there really was HCG in the drops, they'd still be useless as your body digests it--it's like insulin. Insulin isn't given in pills because your stomach digests it and you don't get a systemic effect.

As others have said, on only 500 calories a day you lose a lot of muscle, lowering your metabolism and making it easier to gain weight when you start eating normal amounts of food again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The HCG shot contains a hormone (If I remember correctly its one found in pregnant women) that promotes muscle retention. The weight loss your friend experienced is a result of the extremely strict diet yes. The shots help to reduce muscle loss so most of the weight statistically comes from fat and water.

Also worth noting. HCG is not offered or recommended for more than 1-2 months consecutively. Its not a lifetime plan. My mother did a HCG diet for 2 months with weekly checkups with her physician. She lost weight (about 20lbs) after being stuck at a plateau with a regular calorie restricted diet. The HCG shot helped with muscle retention (per the body fat testing at the Dr office). After the 2 months she went back to a regular calorie deficit. She did say she felt losing weight was easier afterwards... who knows if thats just the fact that a normal calorie intake felt like alot or if it was due to the fat loss and muscle retention?

Personally the thought of giving myself a shot every day for any reason is terrifying...way worse than the calorie restriction! No needles for me thanks! But to some people its worth it I guess

The bold statement isn't true. Now if you mother did it for a month or two and is obese, it's possible she maintain her based on the amount of fat reserves available. But I personally now several women that did the diet, followed the protocol and 50% of their weight loss was from lean body mass (water, tissue, muscle, bone density, etc..).

The bigger issue is going to be long term. If you suppress calories for a long time (especially at dangerous levels such as 500 calories) you will increase the amount of lean body mass lost, which will slow your basal metabolic functions and your resting metabolic functions which leads to a decrease in TDEE. So it will make sustaining a lot hard because your total allowable calories in is much lower. I can tell you I have worked with a few women who have done this diet. Their intakes are 300-500 calories less than the average person with similar stats and in all those cases, it's taken a year to make progress with them.

This biggest issue with HCG, is there is NO way to get all the nutrients you need on a 500 calories diet. Not only will you not get enough protein, which will lead to muscle loss, you can't work out which won' t maintain metabolic functions and you probably wont get enough fat so nutrient absorption is going to be bleek at most. There is a reason it was designed for morbidly obese individuals under doctor supervision.
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was most concerned about the 500 calories/day intake. I also think the drops are ineffective, but I wanted something to show the issue about the calories and the long-term damage that can cause.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

My mom is the same way.
    She gets to kvetch in the usual manner & when I try to talk sense to her, she says 'Oh, let me have my fun'....so I figured, why the hell not? :laugh:
    I have a very close friend who has done every single stupid diet she reads about and has been doing this for at least 25 years (and probably before I met her, too.). Every new diet pill, she takes it.

For TWENTY FIVE YEARS, I have heard about this great new diet and that great new pill, only to hear that they didn't work out well in the end, but now there is something new! She's generally a bright person and if I pressed her, I know she would admit to the craziness, but I see no need.

If it were serious and she was getting really skinny or really fat, then I would. But it's not. It's just her thing.

It really is their hobby. They go on, they go off. They like it.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    my friends (a couple) did it. they did the hCG and ate 500 cal per day. the man lost about 30 lbs (but gained every bit of it back after he stopped) and the wife didn't lose any more than about 10 lbs (again, gained it all back)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

There is no valid evidence that HCG promotes retention of muscle mass. That is a new wrinkle in the HCG propaganda. A review of all valid research done on HCG concluded that there was NO independent effect of HCG on any aspect of weight loss. All effects of the "HCG plan" we're due to the 500 cal/day diet. And, contrary to the results from your mom's doctor's seemingly magic body fat analyzer, weight losses from HCG "plans" (aka VLCDs) show that 30%-40% of the scale weight loss is fat-free mass.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

There is no valid evidence that HCG promotes retention of muscle mass. That is a new wrinkle in the HCG propaganda. A review of all valid research done on HCG concluded that there was NO independent effect of HCG on any aspect of weight loss. All effects of the "HCG plan" we're due to the 500 cal/day diet. And, contrary to the results from your mom's doctor's seemingly magic body fat analyzer, weight losses from HCG "plans" (aka VLCDs) show that 30%-40% of the scale weight loss is fat-free mass.

I'm not a fan of HCG or a supporter of people who choose to do it. My message was to explain what my mom and her doctor claimed about it. Like I said I'd rather just eat well! No needles for me.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

My mom is the same way.
    I have a very close friend who has done every single stupid diet she reads about and has been doing this for at least 25 years (and probably before I met her, too.). Every new diet pill, she takes it.

For TWENTY FIVE YEARS, I have heard about this great new diet and that great new pill, only to hear that they didn't work out well in the end, but now there is something new! She's generally a bright person and if I pressed her, I know she would admit to the craziness, but I see no need.

If it were serious and she was getting really skinny or really fat, then I would. But it's not. It's just her thing.

It really is their hobby. They go on, they go off. They like it.

omg...that's my mom too! and you're right, it's not hurting & they seem to like the hamster wheel thing :blushing::laugh:
  • sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to be all about fad diets. Among the many, I've tried hCG and thought it was working to curb my appetite to maintain the 800 cal daily or whatever it was. Well, I can tell you that I did lose the weight, but it was for so little, I can't remember how much I lost or how long it stayed off. Anyone eating an a deficit that drastic will lose weight. Beyond whether it's healthy and what not, I thought I could keep it off (as I thought I could with every dad diet). I couldn't. I lost weight, but I couldn't keep it off.

I've tried Herbalife meal replacement shakes, hcg, various diet pills, lemonade cleanse, etc and this is going to sound so textbook and you've heard it before, but the only weight i have ever lost and kept off was through healthy eating and exercise. It has to become a part of your life because even working out and eating healthy won't keep the weight off if you only do it intermittently.
  • phobiep
    phobiep Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done 3 rounds of injectable hcg. It helped me lose about 16 lbs, which I kept off for 5 years or so, until recently when I began having a hormonal imbalance and gained a little bit back. I was DILIGENT about doing the diet EXACTLY the way I was supposed to according to Dr. Simeons. It helped me kick my gluten/carb/coke/processed food addictions and I have continued to eat clean since then. In that respect, it was a life saver for me.
    On the other hand, shortly after my last round (during which, I felt "weird" like my body wasn't liking it), I found out I had a thyroid problem and adrenal fatigue. I have some friends that have the same thing. I've been wondering if hcg might have caused the thyroid condition. Really makes me leary.
    Many people use hcg as a crutch, which I DO believe is unhealthy. I don't see any problem doing it once or twice to kickstart a healthy lifestyle, but I think there are problems associated with using it all the time.
    FWIW, hcg helps your body feel satiated even with 500 calories. I was never starving. But for me, it's not worth the risk to ever do it again.
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This diet is so not worth it. I've shared my story here but it really created some serious health problems. I've talked to so many people since then who message or email me. It's frustrating because for a number of us, this caused serious problems. For others, they lost the weight but even while following 'protocol', over time this diet made them fatter because it slowed their metabolism down so much.

It's the 500 calorie diet that causes the weight loss. The 'hCG drops' don't even have hCG. Look at the ingredient list. If it says something like 3x, 6x, 12x, 24x, etc..., that means it has no real hCG but they shook a molecule of hCG (if you think there was even an original molecule) at some point in a lot of water and water contains the memory of hCG. I tried it with my daughter. I took a molecule of juice and put it in a pitcher of water and shook it up really well. Poured a glass for her and she was not impressed. Could you believe she didn't think there was any juice in that glass. I tried to explain how the water held the memory of juice but she is ever the skeptic :) So, with no hCG, it's just the 500-calorie diet and you should never attempt a VLCD unless being supervised by your physician since it can damage your heart and other internal organs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did it, and gained back double what she lost afterwards.
  • Flora_k
    Flora_k Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, my weight started coming back after a bit and then I couldn't stop gaining. My doctor was even working with me to stop it. Eventually we realized that my metabolism was just so messed up from this starvation diet and I needed to just eat healthy and let it come back. Once it evened off (at a greater weight than when I started that awful diet), and was healthy again from all the problems, I began walking to help lose weight. After a bit, I joined Weight Watchers and that was hugely beneficial. I was super motivated because not only had I gained all that weight back while eating healthy and really watching calories, the hCG diet changed my body. Best way to describe it is that I was lumpier. I had clearly lost muscle and gained fat. So many people who have done this diet have said the same thing. Not worth it.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    "In 1959, researchers in Israel reported that they had placed 45 patients on Simeons' diet, giving half the patients HCG injections and the other half saline injections. The two groups both lost weight at the same rate -- and all 45 participants complained of being constipated, hungry or weak.

In the early 1960s, researchers at UC San Francisco and at a U.S. Army Hospital in Fort Carson, Colo., came up with the same results. All three studies were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

In the decades that followed, researchers continued to study the diet and to show that the hormone added little to the low-calorie regimen. In 1995, Dutch researchers reviewed the results of the 24 studies that had been conducted on the HCG diet.

Just 12 of them were well-designed, the scientists found; of those, 11 reported that HCG was ineffective in treating obesity. The Dutch team published its results in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology."

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/02/health/he-nutrition2

Conclusion; it works as well as dropping saline (and saline is much cheaper).