Gradually improving diet, but body is achy

Options
I've eaten like crap for the past year or so. No excuses, but bad choices. Over the past few days, I've tried eating somewhat better even though I'm not "there" yet.

I feel a bit achy and queasy. Other than crazy quackery, is it possible that my body is reacting to the drastic decrease in processed foods and sugars?

Just a week ago, I'd probably eat 10-12 "fun sized" candy bars per day, but I've cut it back to about 2-3. I also greatly reduced my soda intake.

Any ideas?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I can always tell how unhealthy I eat on the weekend on Mondays. It can be the increase in food micro nutrients. (Vitamins and Minerals)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, your body is reacting to the decrease in sugar. You're probably also going to have caffeine withdrawals too, depending on how much soda you cut out. Drink lots of water and try not to kill anyone in the next week, and just ride it out. You'll be fine :flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It could be from lack of caffeine if you were eating a lot of chocolate and drinking caffeinated soda.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    any change and our body reacts. if we go from healthy to unhealthy (or) the other way around.
    keep at it. you're doing great!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Was the soda you quit caffeinated? If so, and you haven't replaced it with other caffeinated drinks, it could be caffeine withdrawal.

If you've added new foods to your daily intake, you could have an intollerance that is causing inflammation in your joints.

Are you still eating enough fat?

It could be a variety of things. I'd suggest giving it a little time to work itself out. If it continues, I'd either talk to my doctor about it, or trying eliminating new foods one at a time for a week at a time and see if there is any change.
  • sarahdelrosso
    sarahdelrosso Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I remember the nutrition professors at Stanford saying that you do go through a detox from these "extreme" foods. When I'm achy from bootcamp I take baths. Don't know if that helps--good luck!!
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    sugar withdrawal suuuuuper sucks. This last time I told my husband to remind me how crappy I felt for those first couple of days if I start upping my sweets again
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar withdrawal can definitely make you feel icky for a few days. I also wonder if you're getting enough fats and/or hydration with the joint achiness.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    try not to kill anyone in the next week, and just ride it out. You'll be fine :flowerforyou:

This is the key! LOL Grrr....
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    It can be the increase in food micro nutrients. (Vitamins and Minerals)

Good point. My body is probably like, "WTH are these blueberries, nuts, and spinach??!!!"
  • ginnyneko
    ginnyneko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say your body is definitely detoxing and sort of in shock from lack of sugar and caffeine. Your pancreas may also have suffered from that way of eating, I'd make sure your blood sugar levels are normal and that you haven't developed a pre-diabetic disposition. Be sure to drink lots of water, and you may consider taking chromium picolinate. Chromium picolinate is a nutritional supplement that works to increase the efficiency of insulin to optimal levels, so your blood sugar is more balanced out.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    Was the soda you quit caffeinated? If so, and you haven't replaced it with other caffeinated drinks, it could be caffeine withdrawal.

Yes, it was caffeinated. I'm still drinking one or two cups of coffee per day, but I've cut WAY back on the soda.
    Are you still eating enough fat?

Oh, yes, I'm still eating too much fat. I"m trying to move it to "good" fats though.
    If it continues, I'd either talk to my doctor about it, or trying eliminating new foods one at a time for a week at a time and see if there is any change.

Good idea! Thank you:)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    try not to kill anyone in the next week, and just ride it out. You'll be fine :flowerforyou:

This is the key! LOL Grrr....
    That's also why I stopped trying to quit coffee and just embraced my addiction :drinker:

Take it slow, and don't try to cut out everything all at once. You can eat anything in moderation.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    Chromium picolinate is a nutritional supplement that works to increase the efficiency of insulin to optimal levels, so your blood sugar is more balanced out.

Thank you!
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    Thanks, y'all! I haven't cut out all of the bad stuff, but am trying to shift to a healthier diet. I don't think I"m drinking enough water, but will up my intake today and going forward.
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a huge thing in both chocolates and soda. But the withdrawals do not last too long. Maybe two weeks. Ibuprofen helped me.

Sugar is also an issue for withdrawals. Try eating fruits and get natural sugar loaded with Fiber. The fiber helps you absorb the sugar slower and this may help with that. Of course in the long run you don't want to go overboard on fruit either. But I like to have an apple when I used to crave chocolate. Now I crave apples.

All this after only about three weeks.