Does drinking alcohol stop weightloss?

Options
13»

Replies

• golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Alcohol itself (and I am referring to the "-OH" molecule and not "beer" or "wine", etc) has no nutritional value. It does contain about 7 calories per gram of energy but is considered "poison' to the body and as such the body gives a high priority of processing alcohol over things like burning fat. That said, I think alcohol in moderation should not hinder weight loss if it fits in your daily (or weekly) calorie allotment and drinks like red wine have been shown to also have health benefits as well as being enjoyable to drink.

I think most of this issue with alcohol are the side effects (eating too much food while/after drinking, how one feels the next day, sleeping after drinking is not as restful, etc). I, myself, have enjoyed a beer or two while watching the favorite sport teams fail again (NY Mets/Islanders/Giants...grrrrr!!! lol) and still continued to lose weight so it can be done....

YMMV of course....
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    That's not true. Alcohol has macros and nutrients. Beer has carbs, protein and vitamins. Wine has carbs and vitamins.
    This is correct! While a shot of vodka has next to no nutritional value, both beer and wine have macro and micronutrients in them!

As far as alcohol slowing fat loss, here's the deal. When alcohol is in the system the body will stop burning fat and divert it's attention to ridding itself of the alcohol. A gram of alcohol provides more energy then carbs or protein but less then fat (gram for gram). This is why some people say alcohol makes fat burning impossible. Technically their statement is correct but there a big catch. It's a very temporary thing. Once you process the alcohol, you will again begin using stored fuel if you are in a deficit. If at the end of the day/week you are in a deficit, your net fat loss will be based on the size of the deficit, not whether or not you drank alcohol.

It is best to treat alcohol the same way you treat everything else. Consume it in moderation and track it against your goals. Now here's the fun part, alcohol has a higher thermic effect of food then carbs, protein, or fat. This means it requires more energy to break it down. What's that mean? Alcohol is listed at 7.1 calories per gram but after you figure out what it takes to break down the alcohol, the number is really closes to 5.7. So you are actually going to be in a slightly larger deficit then you think if some of your calories are from alcohol. Don't get me wrong, its not an earth shattering difference and alcohol is not the new weight loss miracle product. Just feel happy knowing you have a little extra deficit on the days you drink.

As was pointed out above, the problem with alcohol is sticking with your calorie goals once under the influence. Drinking a glass of wine of a beer or two usually isn't an issue but leaving yourself 1000 calories to get sauced on vodka/diet sodas can sometimes leave you inebriated enough to say "F this diet, I want me some TACO BELL!".

TL/DR: Treat alcohol like everything else, consume in moderation and track against your goals. Don't get so drunk that you overeat or binge.
    Well heck, you should have said that in that other thread. Would have saved me the time of basically repeating it! :-D
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I hate when I'm in 2 threads with virtually the same topic. I get confused on what I said in which one! lol
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP I was wondering this, too. I like sweet drinks, need some low cal mixers. I don't like cola. Used to drink things like appletini, screwdriver, margarita any good replacements
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cutting down (if you drink quite a lot) is a good idea as alcohol contains lots of calories without filling you up or providing a great deal of nutrition.

In the past few weeks I've only had a glass or two of wine per week, when back in May/June time it was more like that per day! This has definitely been necessary to help me stay under their calorie goal.

Does anyone else find that after a really heavy night's drinking their weight drops quite a bit though? I've had two heavyish nights since starting to lose weight, and both times, my weight dropped by a couple of pounds (and it didn't come back). I'm guessing it's just to do with alcohol being a diuretic and therefore going to the loo a lot so losing water weight...
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    French people are sort of known for their daily wine drinking and also their slim waists.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    And their portion control. :wink:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    ..... Alcohol is listed at 7.1 calories per gram but after you figure out what it takes to break down the alcohol, the number is really closes to 5.7. So you are actually going to be in a slightly larger deficit then you think if some of your calories are from alcohol. Don't get me wrong, its not an earth shattering difference and alcohol is not the new weight loss miracle product. Just feel happy knowing you have a little extra deficit on the days you drink. ...

a round on the house!
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost just under 85 pounds since March first of this year and I've drank nearly every weeekend. Not just a couple beers a night, either. I work really hard during the week and rigorously stick to my diet/exercise plan, then on the weekends I have fun.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ..... Alcohol is listed at 7.1 calories per gram but after you figure out what it takes to break down the alcohol, the number is really closes to 5.7. So you are actually going to be in a slightly larger deficit then you think if some of your calories are from alcohol. Don't get me wrong, its not an earth shattering difference and alcohol is not the new weight loss miracle product. Just feel happy knowing you have a little extra deficit on the days you drink. ...

a round on the house!
    I see what you did there.... lol
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The alcohol itself is not really the problem (with me anyways), but the eating habits associated with drinking. After a certain point, there is a fear of being too hungover, so that's where the unhealthy eating comes in. And usually I'm not thinking herb chicken breast, rice pilaf, and asparagus at 2am or after a day long tailgate, but rather cheeseburgers, tacos, chicken fingers, fries, etc, which are big calorie hits.
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most of the posters here. alcohol in moderation will not impede weight loss. nonmoderate drinking will surely sabatoge your weight loss and more importantly your overall health.

:drinker:
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 - 4 oz of gin or Irish whiskey, either straight up or with diet tonic water / diet ginger ale fairly regularly.
    I've stopped drinking wine and beer because of the carbs and calories.
    80 proof liquor has no carbs and just 70 calories an ounce.
    I haven't noticed it slowing my weight loss.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Had to try it last night with a little gin straight. The result is: inconclusive :p
    Last night before going to bed my weight was rather low and I thought I might hit a new low the next morning. Turned out I only lost 300 grams of waterweight over night (normal is around 700), despite having to pee in the middle of the night ^^ But it's inconclusive because I have terrible DOMs today, and not from lifting up the drinking glass *laugh*
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Since I'm so conscientious and I'm rapidly starting to love you guys, I had my usual slightly-too-much saki over the weekend to scientifically test the theory (well, mostly I just wanted a good belt of hot rice wine while binge-watching "Storage Wars"). I didn't overeat, didn't go over my goal calories either day, and I'm down about a quarter of a pound this morning over late last week. If I can dodge that over-eating bullet, I can drink and lose weight, but I have to be REAL careful what I drink... if I'd tried this with Chablis I'd have messed up for sure.