Want to lose weight for good

Options
Hi everyone!

I've lost weight in the past but always gained it back (sometimes even more). I know I need to get it down. The last time I went to the doctor, my BP was elevated. Hypertension runs in my family. I've also have family members who have diabetes as well as strokes and kidney failure. I probably can't do much about the hypertension but I would like to lower my risk for diabetes and stroke.

I've tried a lot of different diets in the past. I've even used MFP for calorie counting. Calorie counting worked best but I think that maybe calorie counting is too restrictive? However, I do want to do better with how I eat and eventually cut somethings out of my diet for good. I also want to do better with exercise. I admit that I don't like it but my BP usually is lower when I work out at least 3x a week.

I think that being part of a community like this one will be helpful to me. Reading other people's stories and suggestion are always an inspiration to me. I hope that I can also be helpful to everyone. Thanks!

Replies

• fire7ice
    Options
    It is never easy losing weight (easier to gain it!). We can gain weight from too much healthy food aswell as from junk food. Just have to keep an eye on the amount we eat. Counting calories and weighing things can be restrictive but it does help us see how foods can affect our weight loss.
    Would love to lose weight for good too, though haven't managed to do that so far.
    I like healthy food but also would not cut all junk food out of my diet. I feel that if you restrict yourself too much, at some point you will crack and end up undoing all the good work.
    Good luck with losing for good.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose it for good, then you are going to have to fix on a plan that encompasses a lifestyle change so its sustainabale.

Not sure calorie counting is that restrictive, its just based on burning more than you eat.

If you want exercise then read the forums and the advice given to people just starting. Moving more will help you lose weight by burning calories, weight will help you maintain muscle. Finding how to fit moving ubit everyday life, walking or finding soemthing you can enjoy are all as valid in burning calories. Start easy and work up no matter how unfit you may feel.

Besides the calorie counting and losing weight generally you might also want to consider the nutrition angle to ensure you have a balanced diet and the fitness aspect to assist with body strength, endurance and cardio.

Here was an article I found an eyeopener
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21667065