First 5k tonight!!

Options
I am running (jogging? speed walking?) in my first 5k tonight. It's the Electric Run here in Raleigh and I am pretty nervous and excited! I haven't been able to do a lot of training so I am sure that a portion of it will be me walking but I hope that this helps click something in me and gives me the running bug. I know people who absolutely love it and I want to be one of those people!! Wish me luck!

Replies

• tlove1967
    Options
    Good LUCK tonight!! I like to call it WOGGING (walk/jog combo) you've done the hardest part!! SIGN UP!!
    there will be so much excitement tonight, you will surprise yourself. And, since this is your first race, you will already have a PR (race slang for personal record) Congrats to joining the world of runners!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Good luck & have fun! There's nothing wrong with having to walk for part of it. Heck, there are people that walk the whole distance, and that's fine too :)

ETA: While I don't necessarily LOVE running, I love doing runs, if that makes sense. I love the atmosphere, and I usually sign up with a friend or two, so it's fun. Free food is a bonus at some of them, and I love getting finisher's medals when they have them lol.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Good luck and enjoy yourself! Let us know how it goes for you. You'll do great.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Good luck & above all - have fun!

I've been doing the C25K program & it's great if you do get the running 'bug' and want to continue.

I've just finished it (never having run before since school & I'm 51) and now run 5K 3 times a week (best time is about 37mins).

I'm just beginning a Bridge to 10K program and have my first 5K race coming up next month!
  • dianewingerter1
    Options
    Good Luck!!! Have fun doing it!
  • akaiookami
    akaiookami Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Have a wonderful time!
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    We'll be rooting you on! :bigsmile: Check back and let us know how it went (my first is in 2 weeks so would love to hear your feedback) - you'll do great!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!! I did the Electric Run last year...it's a good one. Enjoy the sights and music! It's a good one for plenty of walking.
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I did that one in Minneapolis this past summer - was fun! LOTS of walkers as there are lots of sights to stop and see & many photo ops along the way. Have fun and good luck!!!
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Have a great time and enjoy it. Good luck, may your shoe laces stay tied :laugh:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! It will be so much fun and you will feel such a sense of accomplishment! I ran (ok, jogged really slow) my 1st 5k 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 46 and I loved it! This Sunday, my 10-year old daughter is going jog with me at a Girls on the Go 5k! I'm so excited because we are doing something ACTIVE together!

Kudos to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The electric run is so much fun! But know it's not timed. So if you want to know your time set a stopwatch.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good luck and don't forget to have a good time!