Non-hormonal IUDs

Options
So, I have been over 200lbs since high school, which is around the same time I started taking birth control pill (BC). Due to lack of exercise and poor eating habits, I kept the weight. I am now 25 and finally lost 30 lbs, and have been maintaining through mostly healthy eating anywhere from the 195 - 205 range.
I recently stopped taking BC in hopes of getting a non-hormonal IUD placement next month. I'm just wondering if there was any women out there that could give me any advice? I'm pretty nervous about it, since all the anecdotal information I get is 50% "it's cool" to 50% "total vaginal nightmare"

Also, any tips for aftercare, or how to get passed this plateau, let me know!!

Replies

• sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the Mirena and I'm having it removed next month which will be my 5th year having it. My weight did go up and down in the time that I had it. Honestly I can't say it was because of the IUD since I haven't tried since it was inserted until now. I have been serious about my weight loss journey for the past few months and have been very successful. The gain in loss depends on the person (in my experience). I also know of 2 others with it and they too have been successful with losing weight. My mood swings however are awhole different story lol. You can add me as a friend. I will update you on the changes in my body when it's removed next month. GOOD LUCK 2 U LUV!!!!!!
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD put in one year after my son was born. Soon after I started having major hip pains. I'm not one to complain about body pains but this was constant and annoying. It hurt to do anything. My doctor said it was because of having a baby but I was fine for the whole year after.

I went to a chiropractor and physical therapy for my hips but nothing helped. After about 6 months I started thinking it was the IUD causing the problem though the Dr. insisted that it wasn't causing the pain. Well I had her remove it anyway just incase and the very next day I started feeling better and then within 3 days my hips felt normal again. I've not had hip pain since. That was 4+ years ago and I've even had another child in the mean time and everything.

The copper must have cause an allergic reaction in my body. They say this is very abnormal however if you do get one take note of how you are feeling physically after.
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had the copper IUD (Paragard) twice. The first time was in my 20's, before I had any kids, and I kept it in for I think 5 or 6 years. I really liked it. It did make my periods heavier and more painful for the first few months, but they eventually went back to normal. The insertion process was extremely painful, and the pain lasted for a few days. I thought there must be something wrong and called the doctor, but he said this was normal. I sucked it up and after a few days I felt fine.

I had it removed so that I could have a baby. After having my daughter, I had another one inserted. The insertion the second time didn't hurt at all, so I think the first time it was painful because I hadn't had a baby yet. So that is something to keep in mind if you don't have kids.

Unfortunately with the second one, the string went up inside me and they couldn't find it. I had an x-ray to confirm that the IUD was still in place. It was; the string was just bunched up. I left it that way for a couple of years until I wanted to get pregnant again. The doctor tried to remove it in the office and after about 30 minutes of extremely painful rooting around in there, he gave up. I had to go to the hospital and have it removed under general anesthesia.

All that being said, I did like it and I would have gotten another one after my son was born, but he was a c-section so I decided to have my tubes tied instead during the surgery.
  • vaultgirlsam
    vaultgirlsam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your stories, ladies! I have not had any children of my own, and I too have a high tolerance for pain. I read they have to dilate your cervix, which is where all my nervousness stems from. I think I could handle the hip and heavy bleeding pains. I am excited overall to feel not like an emotional, ravenous, roller coaster.
  • vaultgirlsam
    vaultgirlsam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love how nonchalant you are about all of this. This sounds terrifying to me, but I can't stand how I feel on the pill, so I REALLY appreciate your honest opinion about it all.
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have one. I like that it is non hormonal, didn't have difficulty with insertion. It does make for a heavier period, which is annoying, but the benefits (99% effectiveness! no hormones! no attendant weight gain! ) outweigh the deficits.
  • just_special
    just_special Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have paragard, the non-hormonal IUD. I have no children, so insertion was difficult as they had to 'pin' open my cervix, which caused a small tear that took a few days to heal, but I made it through fine.

Yes, the first few days after insertion were painful with cramping and pains and such and the first 3-6 months of the painful and heavier periods sucked, BUT 1 year later, I am still glad I got it. I don't have to deal with any of the mood swings related to extra hormones in my body, and I don't have to remember to take a pill or change a patch or get a shot, etc. I also like that I can keep it for 10 years if I want.

I know this IUD isn't for everybody, but it works for me and I am happy with that.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    I have had my copper one for 5 years now, I have had bad experiences with anything with hormones so I decided to go this route. Other than bleeding pretty continuously for a few months I haven't had any other problems since.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have the Mirena and I'm having it removed next month which will be my 5th year having it. My weight did go up and down in the time that I had it. Honestly I can't say it was because of the IUD since I haven't tried since it was inserted until now. I have been serious about my weight loss journey for the past few months and have been very successful. The gain in loss depends on the person (in my experience). I also know of 2 others with it and they too have been successful with losing weight. My mood swings however are awhole different story lol. You can add me as a friend. I will update you on the changes in my body when it's removed next month. GOOD LUCK 2 U LUV!!!!!!
    Mirena is a HORMONAL IUD. Not what the OP is asking about.