Questions about the gastric sleeve

Options
Hi all,

A little about myself. I had lap band back in Oct '11. I went for a fill for the first time a year after I had the surgery. I ate what I want when I had it and didn't follow through with the post op diet, so that's the reason why it took so long for a fill. I ended up taking phentermine and lost 70lbs. The band ended up slipping May of last year so I had it removed. I gained all my weight back & realized that I couldn't do it by myself. Now I'm getting the sleeve. My operation date is 10/7. My problem that I think I'm going to have is, being bored with eating the same things over & over again. It seems we are very limited on what we can eat. For the ones that had VSG, do you feel bored with the same foods? I'm open to any kind of feedback from ones who had WSL. Open to friends who have gone through it, going to have it, or curious. All support is welcomed. Thanks !

Replies

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

A little about myself. I had lap band back in Oct '11. I went for a fill for the first time a year after I had the surgery. I ate what I want when I had it and didn't follow through with the post op diet, so that's the reason why it took so long for a fill. I ended up taking phentermine and lost 70lbs. The band ended up slipping May of last year so I had it removed. I gained all my weight back & realized that I couldn't do it by myself. Now I'm getting the sleeve. My operation date is 10/7. My problem that I think I'm going to have is, being bored with eating the same things over & over again. It seems we are very limited on what we can eat. For the ones that had VSG, do you feel bored with the same foods? I'm open to any kind of feedback from ones who had WSL. Open to friends who have gone through it, going to have it, or curious. All support is welcomed. Thanks !

I'm just gunna say it. Your not motivated to exercise self-control to stop eating the garbage that got you fat to begin with. You need to change your habits and it doesn't require surgery to do it. If your bored take a walk, get a hobby.

Its a little pathetic that your wasting so much money on medical procedures when you can't shoveling junk in your pie hole.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not being funny but you've just basically stated yourself that even with medical intervention you've regained the weight twice now. Do you really thing that the gastric sleeve will be the "fix" to this?

Maybe you need to address your eating habits, any psychological issues you have surrounding food first.

There are a lot of folks on here who've lost serious amounts of weight so it can be done. Good luck OP. :flowerforyou:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Some Antonyms for bored:

concern, energy excitement, liveliness, sympathy, pleasure

This is the problem. It has been my problem in the past, too.

1. Concern: I'd rather be bored with my food than concerned with it.

2. Energy: No problem, my food gives me energy. That is what food is for.

3. Excitement: That is what food should not be for. The only time your food should provide excitement is if someone slipped a $100 bill in it.

4. Liveliness: Please, no. I never did get how people could eat anything that even appeared to be looking back at them.

5. Sympathy: I assure you, our food has no sympathy for us, and if it's on my plate, even if it's a hapless plant, I must not feel sympathy for it, or I'll starve to death.

6. Pleasure: Find your pleasure elsewhere, if you're overweight, you've had enough pleasure in food to last a lifetime. Right there with ya, too, I used to be the same way, now I have to keep a leash on that.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Okay...

I have never considered any type of weight loss surgery...haven't done diet pills...nor any fad diets. I have worked really hard to lose the 80lbs that I have lost along with increasing my activity level. I was 61 when I started...a year later...I am a different person.

Having said that...

Why try to shame someone else for making other choices? Why berate her before you even ask her why she felt as if surgery was her only choice?

I don't get people sometimes...is it all about making someone else feel bad...or is it about making yourselves feel better?

To the OP...

I am curious...what brought you to this decision? I am not judging...I am not in your shoes.

I looked at your profile and you seem to have about the same amount to lose that I did when I started a year ago.

I hope that you find your answers...I hope that you are making the right choice for you...I wish you luck.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Some Antonyms for bored:

concern, energy excitement, liveliness, sympathy, pleasure

This is the problem. It has been my problem in the past, too.

1. Concern: I'd rather be bored with my food than concerned with it.

2. Energy: No problem, my food gives me energy. That is what food is for.

3. Excitement: That is what food should not be for. The only time your food should provide excitement is if someone slipped a $100 bill in it.

4. Liveliness: Please, no. I never did get how people could eat anything that even appeared to be looking back at them.

5. Sympathy: I assure you, our food has no sympathy for us, and if it's on my plate, even if it's a hapless plant, I must not feel sympathy for it, or I'll starve to death.

6. Pleasure: Find your pleasure elsewhere, if you're overweight, you've had enough pleasure in food to last a lifetime. Right there with ya, too, I used to be the same way, now I have to keep a leash on that.

I disagree with #3...well maybe some others but definitely #3.

I find some meals exciting...trying new things that I have never tasted. Exploring recipes from different countries.

When I baked a lot I loved creating these beautiful desserts...and the excitement of me and others sitting down to enjoy them.

Food does not have to be boring...even while you are losing weight.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Oh...@Meerataila

I agree...no food shall stare at me as I try to eat it...all eyes...ears...noses...heads...must be removed. Too much guilt...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Okay...

I have never considered any type of weight loss surgery...haven't done diet pills...nor any fad diets. I have worked really hard to lose the 80lbs that I have lost along with increasing my activity level. I was 61 when I started...a year later...I am a different person.

Having said that...

Why try to shame someone else for making other choices? Why berate her before you even ask her why she felt as if surgery was her only choice?

I don't get people sometimes...is it all about making someone else feel bad...or is it about making yourselves feel better?

To the OP...

I am curious...what brought you to this decision? I am not judging...I am not in your shoes.

I looked at your profile and you seem to have about the same amount to lose that I did when I started a year ago.

I hope that you find your answers...I hope that you are making the right choice for you...I wish you luck.

Noones shaming her for doing WLS. People are shaming her having done it before and not followed the instructions. Now she's going for round 2 the excuses are coming beforehand. This will fail.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

As a person who has been bored, I sympathize.

It wasn't that I wanted to eat a bunch of stuff I shouldn't. It was that I couldn't stand to eat another bowl of peas or another piece of baked chicken. I wasn't hungry and was sick of eating!

I didn't start eating junk food, but (since I also have a lack of appetite), I'd just eat less and less. I actually got dizzy one day and still was like, "No. I cannot eat more dry tuna on rice cakes. If I see another green bean, I'm going to scream." It was more lack of appetite than boredom, though. When I have an appetite, I can swallow food.

It is unfortunate that the healthy stuff isn't really high in calories.

Add more variety. Try new foods you never ate. Make things differently. Healthy marinades. Mrs. Dash - there are so many kinds! Just keep switching it up as much as you can. It's a big help!!

A lot of people who have those surgeries end up gaining the weight back because their problem wasn't physical; it was mental. Consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. Even if you don't have one, they can help you sort through your feelings about food.

Good luck!
  • KaylaLouise
    Options
    Both my parents have had the gastric sleeving (theyre in there 50s) and also my friend who is around my age (early 20s).

This has been a life changing surgery for my parents. My dad who had type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Although it is not an excuse his high pressured job and long hows meant he didn't make time for the gym or exercise. Since his surgery which may be around 4 yrs ago he is now no longer on any medication for the diabetes and blood pressure. He has a new lease on life and is happy and active.

My mother has also had issues with her weight for as long as i have known. She has had very bad knees and it got to the point she could barely walk. She needs knew replacements but they would not operate due to her age (this is when she was in her 40s) now in her early 50s she has had 3 knee replacements (yes 3!) she was hoping this would give her the ability to exercise where she couldn't before. Unfortunately she now has rheumatoid arthritis which cause her a lot of pain and inflammation
    of the joints. She finally decided to have the operation too and the weight is steadily falling off her.

Here is what my mother ate during the healing phase after the surgery.

WEEK 1-2 was protein shakes, jelly, custard,water, cup of tea with a little milk, chicken broth.
    Basically if you could not drink through a straw you could not have it.

WEEK 3-4 puree food just as scramble egg, soups blended, salmon mashed up, casseroles, so any soft food that could be blended together. Savory mince with lots of vegs and still protein drinks. Vegs with cheese sauce and gravy to help with chicken or mince.

Week 5-6 all soft foods weetbix, porridge, chicken, fish, mince, and lots of vegs and all the above foods.

**Must eat protein first then vegs very small amounts about 6 to 8 meals a day plus water.**

My mum is now i think maybe 10-12 weeks post surgery and doing great. My parents still eat "normal food" just smaller portions, they are aware of what will fill them up super fast (like breads and pasta) and not give them the nutrients there body requires. They are aware of what foods cause them some pain with indigestion etc. They still have treats every week but they just know they have to eat very small portions.

For example last night it was my nan's birthday and we went out to Chinese, they could still eat it but very small servings. Its like we all should do on here, eat healthy - protein and veggies, eat smaller portions and move more.

I know a few people have given you a hard time on here and im not here to do that but if you in time stretch you stomach back out which is possible, you cant have this surgery again. They are not in your shoes and you need to do what is right for you. some people think that its cheating or taking the easy way out (my friend who had it done felt this way) she tried and tried but could never keep the weight off, so if this is the drastic measure that will work for her/you to help prevent future health issues then good on you for looking into it!!

We all have our own journey with weight loss and we just have to find what works for us each. How many people have bought in fad diets or pills or shakes etc? We're all guilty of this and many of us have taught ourselves the lessons on healthy eating and portions size and lost weight successfully only to put it back on, I'be done it myself and now have double to loose.
    You will learn to eat less and healthier otherwise you will be physically sick a lot of the time and in pain, If this is what you need to do to finally loose the weight then so be it and people shouldn't judge.

I would advise finding a place that has a follow up program with dietitians etc to keep you on track.

I hope this has helped a little and if you ever want to talk or have any questions on my parents or friends experiences just PM me :)
  • luvnmother
    Options
    Not sure how this message board works completely, but it has been suggested I give it a try.
    I just loaded the myfitnesspal app yesterday and started logging today. I am hoping to get a head start on the life style change and food choice. I am waiting for the gastric sleeve. Hopefully will be finished with pre op requirements and get scheduled in October.
    I am 216 and 5 Ft 3. I have been struggling with weight gain since 2000 when I had my 1st child. but I have gained 20 lbs just this year alone. I can't stand how big I am , how it restricts me and worry about my health. I know someone who had the sleeve a year ago and she has done great. She says she would do it all over again. I have decided to commit to this surgery regardless of my fear of drastic change. I know this is a tool to weight loss. I must be committed to follow all rules and suggestions. But I know this is going to be hard. I am one of those people who thinks about lunch while I am eating breakfast. My family is concerned about them removing 2/3 of my stomach. I'm just concerned about my head not listening to my new stomach. But I'm ready !!

I am curious about recovery and what to expect the 1st 3-4 weeks.