Can I lose 20 more pounds?

Options
Hey guys.. I currently weigh 154 down from 264.. I am maintaining there. When I first got to this weight, I looked kinda bad because I wasn't working out at all and I was just no looking healthy..
I have been running and lifting seriously for a month and (I think) looking much better.. I actually have a shape now..
My question is can I stand to lose 20 more pounds? I am 5'8.. would you look at my Pictures and see what you honestly think? Pretty much the only place I have a decent amount of fat let is my stomach.. I will continue to run and lift either way..
Thanks!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not sure that you 'need' to lose 20. Perhaps aim for a slight deficit (maybe 250 per day) and continue working on toning?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will echo StaciMarie. I wouldn't say that you need to lose 20 pounds. But if you want to lose the stomach you'll likely need to lose more and using a slight deficit is a good way to do that. I'm in a similar spot, where I feel mostly good about the weight loss but still have that stomach to work on.

By the way, your loss is amazing. You have done a lot of hard work and it shows!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think 135 is underweight for 5'8", but only your doctor can tell you for sure what is healthy for you.

I will get to 135. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its hard to tell because you aren't in a bathing suit. But what I would recommend is continue with a small deficit and monitor progress through pictures until you are happy. If you reach 135 and still not happy, evaluate what needs to be done.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I think you look great, but as stated above maybe only a few more pounds to lose stomach fat. Stick with weights and cardio as you are doing, while eating in a small deficit and your body will continue to change.

Congrats on your current success!!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    i think you should go for it. I think you should set your standards and goals high. Look how far you have come! if you don't like how you feel if you lose more, you can always focus on not losing then and putting some back on. But go for it! Aim for your dream. Not to sound hokey but... why not !!!
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I may try 5 lbs at a time and see how it goes!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, what a wonderful job! I wouldn't say lose anymore, just keep on working out.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I think you've done an amazing job and look great where you are! But I also think that you should continue with the weight training. Recomposition, without loss, can do wonders for the body. However, you asked for honest opinions and I'm going to give it... I don't think you are ever going to lose your stomach through only weight loss. In your mid-section you have a lot of loose skin and to get rid of that, you will have to have some sort of plastic surgery. You can lose weight and fat, but excess skin just won't go away. So, what I would do is keep going with the weight training and either eat at maintenance or slightly under. Give your body some time to adjust and improve and go from there. You may lose another 10 and still be unhappy and decide that you want the PS for your stomach. Or, you may see enough improvement that it isn't necessary. Either way, you've done a fantastic job so far and you should just keep listening to yourself because what you've done has worked! Congrats and good luck!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss! You look fantastic!

I think a 5 lb weight loss goal is a great idea. I started around 154 at 5'8" and my first goal was 145. When I got there I made my goal 140, then eventually 135. I have been maintaining around 135 for about 7 months and it feels really good.

You will know when you get to where you want to be and to where you feel comfortable. Knock on wood...maintenance has not been too hard for me, so I think that is where you know you are at a good weight for your own body type.

Again, great job on your loss! You are an inspiration! :smile:'

ETA: I agree with the others about body recomp. You really don't need to lose anymore weight, but I bet you will find as your BF% goes down, you will lose a little bit more weight and firm up in places as well.
  • bradsbaby1996
    Options
    Thing is I feel good where I am and I think my body likes it too.. I have been at this weight since the end of July/first of September. . So this may be the right weight for me! I think you are right about the plastic surgery. . I've had 3 csections and a hysterectomy (same scar) and I just don't think my stomach will ever bounce back on it's own. . My hubby is actually all for me getting a tummy tuck but I wanted to be well into maintaining first..

Lifting is helping me tons! Seriously!
  • bradsbaby1996
    Options
    Oops, end of July/first of August!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm guessing most of the extra weight on your belly is from loose skin and you will need surgery to get rid of it - I have the same problem!
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't think you NEED to lose it you look great but if you want to that wouldn't make you underweight, you'd still be in a healthy range. Life is too short and you need to do what'll make YOU happy. Go for it girlie!
  • Hachiko89
    Hachiko89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look great as it is, just lose another 5 and see how you feel then. I don't think you should lose anymore than that. Also go by your BMI (taking into account that you won't have the average persons BMI as you have more muscle mass due to lifting)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You look great, but it really depends on how you feel. Having lost a lot and regained it, I'd focus on maintenance - what's a level of intake/exercise you can live with?
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your extra skin is probably making you weigh more. I'd say you're quite a good weight.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    lose 20 more pounds and see how you look/feel. you can always gain back a little by eating a bit more healthy foods. personally I don't think you would be underweight if you lost more. you look great and great job, btw! :smile:
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you need to lose 20 more lbs. Your currently 1 lb. under my goal at 5'8". Depends on your build too. I know at 130 lbs. my senior year ( after a tonsillectomy ) I looked ill. I was wearing size 7/8 which were lose in the waist but used to rub bruises on my hip bones. I've always had wide shoulders too.
    Though you may be able to maintain that if you have smaller bone structure.
    I've heard it can take a few years for our stomachs to looked for lack of a better word toned. Though some do have to have surgery to remove excess skin.