Horse Riding

Options
Heya,

Does anyone here horse ride? Is it true that this is a suitable form of exercise? I ride for about 2-3hrs per week. I know it certainly feels like I'm exercising but that might be because I'm totally not fit at the moment. If anyone knows any horse riding related exercises that would be great.

Thanks a bunch

Kye

Replies

• Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Im sooo jealous! I LOVE HORSES its my dream to own one! How do u ride? like is it ur job?
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    Horse riding is definitely exercise, but i don't know how many calories it burns.
  • D_Rose
    D_Rose Posts: 4
    Options
    Horseback riding is a great exercise. It ranks up there close to swimming. Every part of your body works - legs, arms and especially your core. Also it helps you develop better balance and overall coordination. Keep it up!
  • kyejane
    Options
    I'm just riding for fun....trying to get back into it after about 15yrs =)
  • clothes_of_sand
    Options
    Horse riding is definitely exercise, but i don't know how many calories it burns.

Nevermind; apparently this is how much it burns: 272 calories per hour, assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

The more you weigh, I think, the more you burn, but that'll give you a general estimate at least.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-horseback-riding-a412
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I used to ride endurance . . . the more you trot (the horse) and post, especially up and down hills, the better . . . for both you and the horse, physically. :0) A tad jealous myself since I can't afford a horse at the moment. :0)
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    Yep I ride 5 or more times a week and that includes one 1 hr dressage lesson and one jumping session. I count it as exercise and its listed in the database as well. Not sure how accurate the calories burn on MFP is though.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I used to ride a lot and I can't tell you exactly how many calories it burns but it definitely was work.

Even just the amount of balance it takes to just to hold a proper posture is a decent amount of exercise but the more you work the horse the more you work yourself.

We use to do day long rides (with breaks of course) with a lot of trotting, running, up and down hill and I don't think I'll ever get a better work out.

Wish I still lived close enough to my aunts farm to keep up with it. I don't get to ride anymore because I live to far away : (
  • Capone007
    Capone007 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a little late posting on this thread, but wanted to say I hope to get a HRM soon. That way I'll really know what MY body is doing when I ride. I have heard many say horse riding is not a sport and you don't get a good workout from it. Well, those people must be just walking on leisurely trail rides or something! When you're flying around a jumper course over 3' jumps....or using every single muscle in your body possible to fine tune a dressage movement...you can't tell me it's not hard work! I'm glad people on here aren't that ignorant about what it takes to ride! Let's not even talk about training a green horse! ha ha
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this topic as well but I agree that horse riding is serious exercise. Especially during my lesson I will be sweating buckets even on a cold day and huffing and puffing like nothing else. Afterwards it's not just where you'd expect to be sore in the thighs but I'm sore throughout my back from lower to upper and my biceps and forearms are sore. During our last cold spell I went riding in 38 degree weather, had to unzip my coat and was sweating like crazy - it is definitely serious exercise. Plus the tacking up, grooming, hauling hay, etc is also exercise.