I am NOT large framed--LMAO

Options
2»

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    In science class I learnt that we all have the same frame big or small. I have actually looked this up to. There is no such thing as big boned or small boned. If you take two 5'6 Females and one is 125 and one is 200 and do an xray the bones are the same. I hate when people say that I think we just all carry our weight different.

I dunno if I agree with that. My gym buddy is the same height at 6'3 and we couldnt be any different in body type. We measure so different in the wrists, hips, ankles, shoulders. He would have maybe a 6.5" wrist whereas mine is 9.5". That sounds weird, but he is a medical professional so this stuff fascinates him.

I think this person is confusing bone size and frame size. While it is true there is no such thing as "big boned" bones are roughly the same size if we're talking diameter, the FRAME that they build can be quite different. Long legs or short legs, long arms or short arms, broad hips or narrow, broad shoulders or narrow. It's FRAME size that can impact where your goals will be as far as a healthy weight.

Also, even the estimates for frame size should be taken with a grain of salt. My wrists and feet are tiny but I have broad shoulders, a barrel for a rib cage and long legs. That, combined with a decent amount of muscle mass generally means I will always be on the higher end of BMI, no matter what size my wrists are....

For reference, I am still classified as overweight in the picture on the right. Frame size based on my wrist measurements would say that I am SMALL framed, so I should be aiming for the lower end of the BMI scale. I would have to lose an additional 25 to 40 pounds to be in the ideal weight range for someone small framed, NOT happening, the difference between the two pictures is only 33 pounds.

8b6829e13003c149d1048522ce25882d1441.jpg

Interestingly, I found another calculator that uses elbow breadth, and I'm large framed according to that measurement. My body is clearly very confused! :laugh:

I believe that the weight of each person's skeleton is within a pretty small range - however, as you say, someone's frame can be very different. I am not exactly sure how this impacts weight in general as such. I have a big rib cage for example. Does that mean that I have bigger organs, tissue etc filling it up? (question not necessarily aimed at you - more rhetorical). Have not really looked into it. I also have huge man hands - but according to the link, I am on the border of medium and large framed.

However, I would think the biggest impact is muscle mass. I am 8lbs 'overweight' according to the BMI at my current weight (my avi pic was taken last week). However, I lift a lot and have a very high LBM compared to most women. Generally, the range for the BMI is not too far off - where someone may fall in that is very wide. To get to the bottom of the healthy range however, I would have to have a 0% body fat and lose about 8lb of LBM - lol.

Many people think they are 'big boned' - but often it is just a higher BF% - people often underestimate how much they have to lose/can lose. I know I did at first.

Don't mind me...just thinking out loud :happy:

The reason frame size would potentially have an impact has to do with how much space is available for muscle insertion and the length of the muscles on the frame, so yes, it is ultimately about muscle mass. I'm only a few pounds "overweight" in that picture and while I'm probably at a healthy body fat (based on scale so rough estimate) I'm still at the higher end of healthy, so I certainly still have some I could lose, but it's more in the range of 10 to 15, not 25 to 40.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    *skeptical face*

According to that link I'm large framed and I'm hard pressed to believe that.

I lied, medium framed/borderline large.

Still skeptical.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The reason frame size would potentially have an impact has to do with how much space is available for muscle insertion and the length of the muscles on the frame, so yes, it is ultimately about muscle mass. I'm only a few pounds "overweight" in that picture and while I'm probably at a healthy body fat (based on scale so rough estimate) I'm still at the higher end of healthy, so I certainly still have some I could lose, but it's more in the range of 10 to 15, not 25 to 40.

So you were looking at the middle of the range with the 25 - 40? Many of us, if looking at it at all, really need to be looking at the top end of the range - at least as a guide. The mirror can usually tell us the rest.
  • wonderwoman325
    Options
    Huh...according to this, I would be MEDIUM framed. (5'6" and wrist of 6.5 inches). I always thought I was large framed.

Nah, I'M JUST FAT! *lol*
  • misskissmck
    misskissmck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i dont know how accurate this is ....but i always heard to encircle your wrist with your thumb and middle finger....if they over lap your small boned...if they just meet, medium, if they dont meet you are large boned/
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

So you were looking at the middle of the range with the 25 - 40? Many of us, if looking at it at all, really need to be looking at the top end of the range - at least as a guide. The mirror can usually tell us the rest.

BMI range for me is 124 to 164 so losing 25 to 40 pounds would put me in the low to mid range of BMI, which if I measured my wrists and went by what that says about my frame size is where I should be. My point is that even those frame size estimates can be questionable. I know I should NOT be aiming for the low end of BMI, I've been told as much by doctors and trainers. I have a large frame, even if my wrist size says I'm small. I was about 166 or 168 in that picture, I'm 163 now and aiming for 160. I am debating if I want to drop in to the 150's from there are just focus on lifting and recomp, but even if I decide to drop some more weight, I doubt I'll want to go below 155 and certainly not below 150.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

BMI range for me is 124 to 164 so losing 25 to 40 pounds would put me in the low to mid range of BMI, which if I measured my wrists and went by what that says about my frame size is where I should be. My point is that even those frame size estimates can be questionable. I know I should NOT be aiming for the low end of BMI, I've been told as much by doctors and trainers. I have a large frame, even if my wrist size says I'm small. I was about 166 or 168 in that picture, I'm 163 now and aiming for 160. I am debating if I want to drop in to the 150's from there are just focus on lifting and recomp, but even if I decide to drop some more weight, I doubt I'll want to go below 155 and certainly not below 150.

Ahh..got it. I get confuzzled easily sometimes =).

Agree - those calculators (while eliciting interesting conversations) are pretty crappy.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Ahh..got it. I get confuzzled easily sometimes =).

Agree - those calculators (while eliciting interesting conversations) are pretty crappy.

Nah, I just make things more complicated then they need to be. Hazards of being a science teacher.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    In science class I learnt that we all have the same frame big or small. I have actually looked this up to. There is no such thing as big boned or small boned. If you take two 5'6 Females and one is 125 and one is 200 and do an xray the bones are the same. I hate when people say that I think we just all carry our weight different.

This seems wrong; no two people are exactly the same. I found an article that actually states your bones change with your weight, even!

"A recent article has also highlighted how the femoral neck width of obese people changes to accommodate the added weight. In this case the width of the femoral neck has increased to dissipate weight throughout the bony area by increasing surface area and strength through redistribution of bone. This is an example of active bone remodeling adapting to changes that the person has gone through in life."

https://thesebonesofmine.wordpress.com/category/idiosyncratic-variation/
    very interested to read this... thanks! The bone adapting makes sense... they are constantly changing for various reasons.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The wrist thing doesn't work for me. I have small wrists (and long fingers, index and thumb overlap), but am most definitely large framed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does mean that. A larger rib cage means bigger organs. A larger frame is larger, so there is more space for everything. More of everything. Bigger organs, more body mass, etc.

Makes sense...I mean, I am sure I do not have organs sloshing about in an empty space...just never really thought about it =)

Also makes sense based on the very large 'healthy range' weight. At my height there is a 40lb range.

I just saw an article about a former NFL player donating a kidney to his brother, another former NFL player. Both men were about 400 pounds the article said (obviously very large framed, tall and a big overweight). The article said that the sick guy was really lucky that he had a brother as big as him and with the right blood type because they never would have found an big enough donor otherwise, and that the healthy kidney was the largest healthy kidney he had ever seen. So yeah, bigger person = bigger organs I guess.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    "Your Results:

Unfortunately, the wrist and elbow methods do not agree with each other. The wrist method says that you have a thin body frame while the elbow method says that you have a medium body frame."

My shoulders and rib cage are not very "petite". I have boxy shoulders for a chick. :grumble:

My goal weight is in the upper range of a healthy BMI because at the lower end I look emaciated. 130 is fairly middle of the road for my height (5'6"), but I'm aiming for 145. I've been at 145 before and I've felt wonderful there. I've also been at 150-155 and also felt fine. At 155 I would be at a BMI of 25 even (overweight). :noway:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does mean that. A larger rib cage means bigger organs. A larger frame is larger, so there is more space for everything. More of everything. Bigger organs, more body mass, etc.

Makes sense...I mean, I am sure I do not have organs sloshing about in an empty space...just never really thought about it =)

Also makes sense based on the very large 'healthy range' weight. At my height there is a 40lb range.

I just saw an article about a former NFL player donating a kidney to his brother, another former NFL player. Both men were about 400 pounds the article said (obviously very large framed, tall and a big overweight). The article said that the sick guy was really lucky that he had a brother as big as him and with the right blood type because they never would have found an big enough donor otherwise, and that the healthy kidney was the largest healthy kidney he had ever seen. So yeah, bigger person = bigger organs I guess.

Yes, it's true. I had a friend that needed a kidney. My kidney is too small. You can't give a small kidney to a bigger person (it won't do the job for them). My internal organs are small because my rib cage is only 25 inches (waist 23 inches), and I am short. So, small space, smaller organs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I know I am "large framed" or "big boned" pick which ever way you want to say it.

I am 5 ft 7 currently at at 148lbs...wear a size 8 to 8.5shoe....the only thing the weight loss has done is made me go from a wide width shoe to a medium width shoe.

My shoulders are wide as is my rib cage. Even as a teenager my shoulders measured were always bigger than my sister's boyfriend who was 18....

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Seriously? You actually believe that? This is very inaccurate. I am 5'6" and when I was in peak physical shape, I was still very broad shouldered for a girl and had a "sturdy" build. I was very thin and muscular, but have never weighed less than 145. Yet most women my height would not look thin at that weight. My mom is only an inch shorter than me, yet even at her heaviest, she weighs a good 20 lbs. less than my lightest and looks "petite". How would you explain these type of differences if we all have the same build?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Seriously? You actually believe that? This is very inaccurate. I am 5'6" and when I was in peak physical shape, I was still very broad shouldered for a girl and had a "sturdy" build. I was very thin and muscular, but have never weighed less than 145. Yet most women my height would not look thin at that weight. My mom is only an inch shorter than me, yet even at her heaviest, she weighs a good 20 lbs. less than my lightest and looks "petite". How would you explain these type of differences if we all have the same build?

Agreed...for me a 5 ft 7 woman...my legs are 30 inches..fairly short...but my torso is very long and my shoulders are broad...

You set me beside another woman my height and her legs are probably longer...perhaps a shorter torso...

Along with that you have bone density to take into account, muscle mass, organs, amount of blood etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This seems wrong; no two people are exactly the same. I found an article that actually states your bones change with your weight, even!

"A recent article has also highlighted how the femoral neck width of obese people changes to accommodate the added weight. In this case the width of the femoral neck has increased to dissipate weight throughout the bony area by increasing surface area and strength through redistribution of bone. This is an example of active bone remodelling adapting to changes that the person has gone through in life."

https://thesebonesofmine.wordpress.com/category/idiosyncratic-variation/

Yes, some people definitely have larger frames. For instance, I have always had a very large frame, even before I gained weight. My wrist is about 7.5", and it doesn't have much fat on it either. My head is too big to fit most hats, bracelets never fit me, my shoe size is quite large, and even my ring size is large (though it has been decreasing :) )

You are right. I am a 5'11" woman and my wrist size is 8". I too have always had a hard time finding bracelets that fit, or they fit tight. My shoe size is a 10. Now, that wrist size is boney not much fat on my wrist. So, yes, there are different frame sizes, just like there are greyhounds and labordors. Best.:smile: