Running vs stationary bike.... Help please!

Hey everyone!

So I want to really try and shift some weight before crimbo and was considering starting running. I already do body attack and combat but that's more for fitness and enjoyment I guess. My boyfriend has bought a stationary bike for the house, so my question is, which is going to give me the best weight loss?! Obviously combined with reduced calorie intake!

You guys are so helpful on here so would really appreciate some words of wisdom!!

Replies

• ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Hi,

I use a mixture of both for weight loss but essentially it depends on you and what you enjoy.

I would say it all boils down to how hard you work & the length of exercise time, running burns more in a shorter time but cycling has its benefits though, its none impact so easier on the knees and ankles. Cycling also helps with your running, hence why I do both.

Not sure if this helps
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    so my question is, which is going to give me the best weight loss?!

The one you like to use more ;)

Biking and running can burn about the same calories.
    Running, you've got to also carry your weight, so it's a little easier to burn a lot of calories.
    The bike supports your weight, so you don't burn quite so much - gotta work harder.

Because your carrying your weight, running increases bone density, which is very good at holding off osteoporosis.
  • roostking1
    roostking1 Posts: 13 Member
    I prefer running. If you have access to a treadmill, to reduce wear and tear on knees and ankles, I like to "hike". Set the angle very steep and a moderate speed, no running, but not walking either. This burns just as many calories I have found and its easier on the body as well.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Running is harder but more efficient. Stationary bike is probably easier to get into if you're just starting to work out. Personally I find running better, kind of therapeutic, just going outside and listening to so music and watching the sun rise. Stationary bores me. There is a benefit in that you can watch TV and do it but even still... It really comes down to which ever you're more comfortable with and enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    , which is going to give me the best weight loss?! Obviously combined with reduced calorie intake!

Weight loss is, as you identify, about calorie deficit. You needn't do either so this becomes more about the other benefits from those.

Running burns calories faster and is weight bearing so helps improve bone density, muscular control and joint/ connective tissue resilience.

Cycling is non weight bearing so has less injury risk, although there are some overuse injuries you could incur

In practice they're complementary, cycling helps reduce the risk of running injury, running helps cycling endurance and capacity.

Equally they're both lower body dominant so benefit from something to aid upper body and core strength.

Personally I run and cycle, with some bodyweight resistance training and swimming to improve upper body performance and mitigate injury risk. That said, my main focus is on performance rather than weight management.
  • thekeelster
    thekeelster Posts: 21 Member
    Aaah thanks guys! Looks like a fairly good argument for both, but you've all made me lean more towards running I think. Going to start slow though as I'm a total running novice!
    I do cardio classes and have done for ages, but my OH's pointed out that these were never going to be enough for the weight loss I've wanted and I definitely need to start adding the weights in; have a conditioning class booked for tomorrow!

Going to still use the bike though being as we have it at home, but I get the boredom thing as I did find the other day watching tv that I was clock watching!

Thank you!! : )