Avoiding foods you overeat

Options
Many of my favorite foods are those that are healthy but really high in calories, e. g. nuts, avocado, and hummus. I struggle to control portions with them. Yesterday, I ate probably about a cup and a half of trail mix, and I haven't weighed myself since, but I can tell I've gained fat from those 1100 or so calories. Should I give up such foods permanently?

Replies

• Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Maybe you could buy the individual packs of those things. I think an individual pack of trail mix would be about 100-200 calories.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am going to say no to that. Ziploc baggies are your friend. Measure out your servings and have a baggie when you want. Log it and carry on.
  • tabbyrose727
    tabbyrose727 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am going to say no to that. Ziploc baggies are your friend. Measure out your servings and have a baggie when you want. Log it and carry on.

This has been the best solution for me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    There are some things that i won't stop eating until the package is empty. So i either buy a small package, find someone to share with (not hard for me, i live with 3 boys and dh) or just buy it waaaaaay less often.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal preference. I tend to destroy a bag of potato chips once they're opened, so I don't keep them in the house. I do still eat them, just usually when I visit a friend or go out to eat.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Depends on who you are.

I grew up fat thanks to the regular overconsumption of high carbohydrate foods. "Moderation" didn't do jack for me.

Abstinence did. After a few years of low carbing off/on eventually my cravings for a good 80% of those old trigger foods died. I don't exclusively low carb anymore, but my cravings never returned for bread, pasta, crackers, cereal, pizza, chips and like food. Avoidance changed my entire relationship with those foods for good. I almost never crave those foods, and when I do have them I can easily go months or years without having them again.

It didn't, however, with certain sweets. I can avoid eating certain kinds of cookies, cake, and my favorite food, ice cream, but eventually I give in and I tend to over consume those. Avoidance killed the immediate cravings but eventually I'd want them and give in. I moderate those now by eating as much as I want, when I want, but limiting how often I have them.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale to measure portions and prelog all of my foods. For example, I could easily mindlessly eat 2,000 calories of pecans (yum!) dipped in peanut butter. Instead, I weigh out 1 serving of each on a plate, put away the packages, log them in myfitnesspal, and eat them. I can go back for more if I want more, but I have to log it then too. I know that I'm crankypus if I have fewer than 700 cals left for dinner at the end of the day, so I will only have extra snacks if they leave me enough calories for dinner.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    weigh portions, individual sizes, or work them into your day.

i ate a whole avocado with dinner. i eat a lot of good fat, but weigh everything that isn't an individual size.

side note - today at the cardiologist he told me that i could eat more than 35% fat if i wanted to. not news to me, but great to hear from a doctor!!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    for hummus, eat this with veggies instead of things like pita chips. the veggies are way less calories than pita chips, so you can eat lots more hummus!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    weigh portions, individual sizes, or work them into your day.

i ate a whole avocado with dinner. i eat a lot of good fat, but weigh everything that isn't an individual size.

side note - today at the cardiologist he told me that i could eat more than 35% fat if i wanted to. not news to me, but great to hear from a doctor!!

I eat maintenance at over 40% of my calories from fat - nuts, olives, avocados, high fat organic yogourts (11%), and really good cheese and grass fed beef & buffalo. No problems. No weight gain as I keep my fats & high carbs separate and keep carbs below 150g/day (after subtracting fibre).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0

"...The new study was financed by the National Institutes of Health and published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. It included a racially diverse group of 150 men and women — a rarity in clinical nutrition studies — who were assigned to follow diets for one year that limited either the amount of carbs or fat that they could eat, but not overall calories...."
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do both avoidance and premeasuring. I avoid cookies and chocolate, but buy premeasured peanut butter. Expensive, but I can't be trusted with a whole jar
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^

This is your answer...
  • GoForLew
    Options
    Something that works for me is portioning things out and then putting them away where I can't see them all the time (like a cupboard I don't open often). That way, I don't overeat them on two different levels.
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I've been doing this and it helps so much. Not only am I not eating 3 or 4 servings of pretzels or veggie straws, they're not going stale as fast as when left in the open bag they came in.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people posting here I use pre-measured portions to control my snacking. I haven't eliminated anything I really like from my diet I've just gotten better at controlling them. In some cases I've found healthier versions of the things I like and have added a lot of things I never thought to try. Some things that I was kinda on fence with anyway like avocado I gave up without much fuss. If I haven't learned to like it by now, I'm not going keep trying. I've got other places to spend those calories and fat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    First if you gained anything from those 1100 calories it's 1/3 of a pound at most... you won't even notice.

Second, just weigh a serving and put the bag away. Or don't buy them, and maybe after a while you'll realize that having a little of what you like is better than having none.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I don't allow certain foods into the house - tortilla chips, baked goods, trail mix type snacks. If my fiance brings them home, I ask him to hide them and not to tell me about it - I will tear the whole place apart if I know there's an open bag of tostitos somewhere.

With things like peanut butter, I leave the jar in a closet in a bedroom or something - out of the kitchen. When I need some, I measure out two tablespoons and it goes right back in the closet.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recomend kitchen safe with time lock. Take a portion and sight away put the rest in the container and set the lock for whenever you feel its ok to have another portion. Its a life saver. I keep all my sweets there, open in the morning when my will is the strongest and set the time lock for next 24 hrs.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Some things I just avoid. Cookies, popcorn, and potato chips -- I don't care how pre-measured the serving is, I will go get more. I only buy them when I'm about to go to a party and can share, or when I've done a monster workout and can justify them.