vegan and having a hard time with macros

2»

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian, but there are many days I eat very little meat. I eat a lot of legumes, mostly stuff like lentil soup and my protein is fine. Quinoa is great for vegans due to the complete protein profile. And, not exactly macro related, but lots of dark greens will help with the iron. Not as much as liverwurst, but you're a vegan.
  • Just a little advice you shouldn't base your macros on a percentage like it tells you to on the site, you should base them on what works for you, just try to hit protein in grams that is close to your body weight or at least half your bodyweight and you should be fine.
  • i use vital wheat gluten also called seitan it has 75 to 80% protein more protein than chicken!. you can find very good recipes on youtube!! just search seitan.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I haven't read the other posts.

You can adjust your macros and re enter your protein to a lower percentage.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    I agree with those who say you might want to re-evaluate that 30% number. Seems really high and quite difficult to attain without supplements. I am a vegetarian who eats no eggs and almost no dairy (I'm planning to transition to fully vegan). You are able to get plenty of protein as a vegan, but the problem with meeting high protein percentages is that is often comes packaged with some carbs in the mix. Like legumes, they are full of protein but they also have carbs. Protein shakes and bars can be "carby" too, depending on the brand. My approach has been to focus on getting a minimum number of grams of protein, include some healthy fats, and get my carbs from sources that provide plenty of fiber and nutrients, like fruits, veggies, whole grains. Sometimes I might have a fiberless nutritionless and carby--but delicious--cupcake or something... but that's just a treat, not a staple in my diet. I don't sweat the specifics of the macro numbers, though when I'm "on plan" and not overdoing the cupcakes (!), my percentages tend to hang around 55/20/25 (carb/protein/fat) but I don't try to enforce that.

Everyone has had some good suggestions--beans, lentils, nuts, seitan, tofu, tempeh (I love this one), edamame, protein shakes/bars (I recommend Cliff Builder's bar because it has 20g and is vegan... it is a tasty treat). Eat some at every meal. I like to eat tofu for breakfast a lot--look up recipes for "tofu scramble". I also eat some "fake meats" from time to time, though not often.

I don't know if you've tried black soybeans, but they are an uber low carb bean. The taste resembles regular black beans and I ate them as a sub for that when I was on Atkins years ago (in my carnivorous days....). Edensoy makes them in cans.

You might also look into protein-enriched, unsweetened Almond Milk. I use SoDelicious Almond Plus which is 40 calories and 5g protein per serving. You can drink a big glass and get 10g/80 cals at breakfast.

Another idea is to also choose higher protein options in food groups that you normally wouldn't eat for protein. For example, a lot of grains have protein, like quinoa, wild rice, bulgur, barley, oats. When you eat grains, eat these. Among the vegetables, you can find protein in things like broccoli, brussels sprouts, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, corn, peas. Fruits with some protein include apricots, plums, figs, etc. Google "grains highest in protein", "fruits highest in protein" "vegetables highest in protein" and you'll get a lot of ideas. The amounts aren't really high and they are packaged with carbs so I wouldn't eat broccoli and rice normally and think of them as "protein food" BUT these are sources of protein that add up over the course of the day, a few grams here and there.