Can someone explain this to me?

Options
I have like 250 remaining calories left, but only 1 carb, 1 fat, and -2 protein. I thought all the macros were suppose to equal the total calorie number.
I made my food diary public so you can see what Im talking about.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nope. Macros are in grams. Calories are in ... calories. They are not the same unit of measurement.

ETA: There are 9 calories per gram of fat, 4 calories per gram of protein and I can't remember the calories per gram of carbs.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    MFP's food database is user submitted. People make mistakes, so you must check for yourself things if they seem out of whack. Just from my first glimpse at your diary for that day, your entry of Ovaltine in the morning had protein and fat, etc... Yet the entry as your later meal or snack has 0 fat and 0 protein. So that is just one example I see...there might be others.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    OP that is correct. If you total the caloric value of yor macros they should equal what your caloric goal is. However as @cajuntank said, a lot of the foods are user entered and some people are not very careful about getting the macros entered correctly.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The nutrition information for your Ovaltine malt at breakfast is inaccurate. It shows as having a total of 60 calories, but also 37c, 8f, 13p which would be something like 270+ calories -- it looks like the item from the database has wildly inflated macronutrient totals which is the cause of you already hitting some of your macro targets while being under the total calorie goal.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks guys. Ill go over all the food later in the day to fix those issues