protein shakes help

Options
afternoon everyone got some lean whey protein powder. can you use milk with it instead of water ? thanks

Replies

• Raaneve
    Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond and/or coconut milk with my protein shakes all the time... it *does* add a few calories, so be sure to factor them into your program, but even with the extra calories it makes the shakes much more tasty! :)
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Should not be a problem, just count the milk in the calories for it. (A tip: Choose a meal slot that is empty. Put in the amount of powder, then the volume of milk. Use the quick tools to remember the meal. Next time, you just have to add the meal, instead of the separate ingredients.

Some people also like mixing it with banana to make it thicker, although I go for straight water and ice in mine (the ice helps with mixing, and making it colder, and I have mine at work, so milk would be more inconvenient)
  • LaRhondaRoshell
    Options
    Can the shakes be used as meal replacement? They seem to keep me full
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I always drink mine with milk. They're much tastier that way plus you get extra protein.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Can the shakes be used as meal replacement? They seem to keep me full

If using as a meal replacement, I would suggest adding some nuts, seeds, and fruit, to ensure you're getting some decent micronutrients as well as just the protein hit. My own meal replacement shake I have on occasion is yoghurt, berries, banana, nuts, seeds, coconut oil and now some protein powder to bring up the protein content.
  • 19vickb87
    Options
    thanks everyone . I always log all my food and drink so I wont forget to add the milk , I just tried it with water today and think it might be a bit nicer with milk
  • thismoment
    Options
    I slice bananas and freeze them in 1/2 banana portions. So the bananas don't go bad and they thicken up the shake like ice.
  • 19vickb87
    Options
    oo I love bananas , I shall have to try them with it :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I add banana, almond milk (unsweetened), yogurt, and berries, and have it as my breakfast. Comes to around 300 calories, but lasts me all morning, without getting hungry before lunch.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I did Almond milk, 1 cup berries, 2 TBS PB2, 1 TBS Chia, and Protein powder for about 300 calories and keep me full for hours.
  • Cathiesunday
    Cathiesunday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't digest whey or soy so I use sprouted brown rice protein powder. I add it to a cup of unsweetened almond milk as a base and then adjust my add-ins to my mood. If I'm in the mood for chocolate, I add a tablespoon of baking cocoa and maybe a squirt of caramel coffee favoring. If I feel like fruit, I add a few slices of frozen peaches and a half a package of unsweetened jello powder. I think that as long as you start with a good base (mine is 20 grams of protein/100 calories) you can customize as you like. Of course you have to keep track of the calories in those add-ins. I also add my calcium citrate to my protein shake and that helps to thicken it too.