What exactly is "Clean Eating"?

Options

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean because it makes me feel healthier and better. To me, this means eating foods that are not processed or processed as little as possible. I will eat some packaged foods, but I exercise judgement based on the ingredients. For example, I prefer canned/boxed tomatoes with tomatoes as the only ingredient and I buy granola with ingredients I would be able to put in my own. It is not necessary for weight loss, but I find that I am more full eating this way and feel better overall.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I consider clean eating as eating only whole foods....no additives, no altering. Basically meat, vegetables and whole grains.

That being said, I'm a dirty, dirty girl...eh, I mean eater.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This thread alone proves that the term "clean eating" is basically meaningless. While we can most agree that "eating clean" refers to eating minimally processed whole foods, this is where the agreeing stops and the senseless bickering begins. Many people mentioned whole grain as "clean". There are many who would argue grain/gluten were never meant to be consumed by humans. The same goes for milk. Milk can be minimally processed (just pasteurized) but plenty of people claim that we shouldn't drink cows milk ever.This is why all encompassing terms like "clean eating" fail. It's also silly to think that if your diet is mostly comprised of minimally processed whole foods, that having a snack or two that is processed will make any difference at all.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    'Clean Eating' is a marketing term used to sell books and it's completely arbitrary.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This thread alone proves that the term "clean eating" is basically meaningless. While we can most agree that "eating clean" refers to eating minimally processed whole foods, this is where the agreeing stops and the senseless bickering begins. Many people mentioned whole grain as "clean". There are many who would argue grain/gluten were never meant to be consumed by humans. The same goes for milk. Milk can be minimally processed (just pasteurized) but plenty of people claim that we shouldn't drink cows milk ever.This is why all encompassing terms like "clean eating" fail. It's also silly to think that if your diet is mostly comprised of minimally processed whole foods, that having a snack or two that is processed will make any difference at all.

/end thread
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    @ OdesAngel -- I use seasoning...no dressing. Seasonings have one ingredient.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The problem is, clean eating means different things to different people, but usually it means cutting out all junk food, including the pasta you mentioned. Essentially it is eating only whole foods. And suprisingly its not that expensive if you dont try and buy the organic foods, just stick to single ingredient foods and you should be on the right track.
    care to elaborate on how pasta is junk food?
  • fitspiration1989
    Options
    As well my vegetables, milk, cheese.

Cookies in a bakery have no label on them when you look at them at first, same thing at tim horton's :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    There IS NO exact meaning.

Vegans would consider eating meat "dirty".
    Low carb eaters would consider white carbs "dirty".
    Paleo would consider just about anything processed "dirty".
    Some people consider fast food "dirty".

Me I consider unwashed or anything with dirt or flies on it "dirty".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

not necessarily true. Depends on whether you buy only whole seasonings and grind them yourself. A lot of seasonings actually contain fillers, and no they aren't listed on the label. Anything below a certain percentage does not have to be listed. So maybe you aren't eating as clean as you think.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I've heard of clean eating but don't really know what it means exactly.
    Does it mean for example, that if you're making a Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce, you make it using actual Tomatoes and not ones in the Can?
    So No Canned or Packaged foods, right?
    If so, that's not so easy or cheap to do! :noway:
    Would love to see some Meal idea's.

clean eating may mean different things for different people. I find it is actually cheaper to eat clean than it is to eat dirty, but not everybody knows how to cook well enough to pull it off.

it generally means no packaged "foods," but packaged food is all right (by which I mean minimal processing, 1-3-ingredient packages."

I buy mixed nuts, for example. There are 5 different kinds of nuts in the container. That's still eating clean. A can of tomatoes, while not optimal, will suffice as clean eating, so long as they are just tomatoes and maybe some citric acid... preferably fresh, but that's not always possible, and honestly, fresh in the winter at the grocery is pretty rank and expensive.

you can look at my diary. we make nearly eveyrthing from scratch.

I've also got a grocery project going on right now at my blog, life.kerimarion.com
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've heard of clean eating but don't really know what it means exactly.
    Does it mean for example, that if you're making a Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce, you make it using actual Tomatoes and not ones in the Can?
    So No Canned or Packaged foods, right?
    If so, that's not so easy or cheap to do! :noway:
    Would love to see some Meal idea's.

As others have said, the term doesn't really mean anything.

But you certainly can try to make pasta sauce with fresh and whole tomatoes and see if that works for you. I sometimes do because I grow tomatoes and when they are plentiful I'm desperate to use them any way possible, and I make a lot of sauces that rely on chopped tomatoes and other veggies vs. a red sauce kind of thing, but for the latter I think it's much easier and just as tasty to use a good canned whole tomato. (The posts about buying just tomatoes are interesting, since I've never actually noticed canned tomatoes with other stuff, other than the obvious basil or garlic, etc., which I do prefer to add myself. Maybe it's just the kind of tomatoes I've always bought.) Back in the day I went through a phase (oddly enough when I was gaining weight) where I was really purist about food and wanted to rely on whole tomatoes rather than canned for everything, but I no longer see any purpose to that. (During the same period I was all about making pasta from scratch, but I rarely do that anymore, partly because I mostly have pasta for a quick meal, and while I can whip up a tasty and healthy sauce super fast, I can't make fresh pasta that fast and I see no problem with dried. I don't actually eat pasta that much lately, but not because I'm against it or anything.)

Beyond that, if you want to use mostly whole foods (most of my dinners and breakfasts are whole-food based, although I can't say that for lunch, since I buy it often, although from places I think have good quality food), you can choose meals that are less time-consuming than making fresh pasta and a red sauce from fresh tomatoes would be. I usually just have some sort of meat, some sort of vegetable or two, and a starch or fruit or both, depending on how large a meal I want. I have a huge number of meals I can make based on what's on hand in about 30 mins (maybe longer with cooking time, but not much) following this model.

Oh, and I'm not even a "clean" eater. I like to cook and eat a lot from whole foods and lots of vegetables and such, though.

If you want to look at my dinners, my diary is open, although I only list ingredients, so you have to figure out how they are put together.
  • lemonlime006
    Options
    Like so many other people posted, different people have different definitions. For me, I think it means not eating pre-packaged or processed foods. While I don't necessarily stick to this, I use it as a guideline. It requires way more work and preparation. I don't stick with organic, because I find that the cost difference is far too drastic where I am. I generally try to stick with shopping the perimeter of the store. I buy lots in the produce section, the meat section, and the dairy section, which for me is clean eating.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options

not necessarily true. Depends on whether you buy only whole seasonings and grind them yourself. A lot of seasonings actually contain fillers, and no they aren't listed on the label. Anything below a certain percentage does not have to be listed. So maybe you aren't eating as clean as you think.

When did I say that I eat this way? I said I consider clean eating. Read! I like my junk food too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

When did I say that I eat this way? I said I consider clean eating. Read! I like my junk food too.
    Hou didn't. I noticed that, too. :)

If it were true that to be clean, a seasoning had to have only one ingredient...that would not speak well of Mrs. Dash.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No one knows what "clean eating" is. Even the people who say they "eat clean" don't know what it is. It's all subjective.

Did your food fall on the ground and now it's covered in dirt? No. Guess what, your eating clean, lol.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Definitions vary, although all tend to revolve around a similar axis - that of eating food rich in micronutrients (vitamins/ minerals/ antioxidants/ etc).
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it means different things to different people. to me, it would mean cutting-out M'n'M's, Snickers and Coke. I would focus more on tea, whole foods, veggies, lean meats, no bread or anything overly processed. but that's JMO.
    :smile:
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I use the term clean eating or whole foods to describe my way of eating and I don't really care if it is meaningless to somebody else since I am not eating for them. If you want to describe your way of eating as clean you get to make up the definetion that suits your own use. My way works for me, hopefully your way is working for you. that is all that really matters.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people that the definition is all over the place. So many foods are made in factories now that the definition of the word 'unprocessed' is also all over the place. I eat meat which is butchered and trimmed in factories, and not just ground meat either. The canned tomato is a good example too, because it's processed and cooked in a factory, but a staple in most cupboards. Pasta, rice, the croutons for my salad, butter/margarine, oil, stock cubes, salad dressings, nori, cheese, yogurt, basically everything with a barcode has come from a factory. Fruits and produce are mass-harvested and then washed in factories, and the ugly or oddly shaped fruits are taken out and used in other things or destroyed. Apples are waxed to be shiny and appealing to shoppers. I might be the first human to actually come into contact with most of the food I buy, beyond a glance by the quality-control staff at the factory. And I feel like I eat pretty well.

The all-natural-ingredient stuff isn't hand-made by people in kitchens with aprons on either, it's made in factories too. It's wonderful because it is convenient, we don't have to preserve our own vegetables or churn our own butter, and it is a lot cheaper than fresh, especially during the long winter months. So I think it does annoy most of us when people use 'clean' as a label for their food, because it does seem a lot like it is a label people give to themselves, purely to make themselves feel like they eat 'better' than the rest of us.