What kind of butter/margarine/oil do you use?

Options
I use PC Blue Menu Celeb Calorie Reduced, but I was wondering what other people use? I've considered the Becel Olive Oil as a healthier choice, though it may be higher in calories. What do you use? What suggestions do you have?

Replies

• Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've always used and will always use real butter. Or olive oil depending on what I'm eating/cooking.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I use unsalted butter, blue bonnet margarine, and soybean oil... (well, not all at the same time!) :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon grease. Just depends on what I'm using it for :)
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I use Land o Lakes Light Spreadable Butter with Canola Oil because it's spreadable right out of the fridge and only 50 calories per tbsp.

I use regular unsalted butter sticks (store brand) for baking.

ETA: I also use olive oil and/or canola oil, depending on what I'm making.
  • bikergirlalex
    Options
    I'm frightened of butters, margarine and certain oils. It sounds silly, I know, but I have no idea what kind of manufactured chemicals are placed in some of the stuff, that it worries me of my health. However, I do have to use oil, and when I do I use only certified organic oils like coconut, peanut or olive oil. They all work rather well.
  • Adubmarie87
    Adubmarie87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Non GMO Smart Balance Original. Tastes amazing and a little goes a long way! Extra Virgin Olive Oil for all other things! :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Depending on what I'm using it for, I use real butter, coconut oil or olive oil cooking spray.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I usually get Kerrygold or German butter made about a twenty minute drive from where I live.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    For baking real, unsalted butter. There is nothing better! (Well, once in a while in a graham crust or something I'll use coconut oil)

For cooking it depends, I'll use a lot of different oils, but never margarine and very rarely shortening.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Real butter (margarine is evil, I won't use it) or olive oil, typically. I prefer to work them into my calories / macros rather than go with something lower in calories but chemical laden.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what I am making. For a quick stir-fry, I usually use some sunflower oil. For basic quick frying, canola. For Italian, olive. For baking and other cooking, real butter. For toast, I use a butter blend (Kroger brand) that is a low oil ratio because I like the taste better. I don't do any margarine, really. I guess the butter blend would be considered margarine, though. All of these are between 50 and 120 cals per serving and all go a long way. I think when it comes to cutting calories, the fats area is always the first place where people do it, but probably not the best place to cut them all. Your body needs good quality fats to stay balanced. I'd stick with the good fats and do a bit of nipping in some other area to keep them. The only time I cut them is for things that only need a small amount of butter so I do have some of that butter spray. But honestly, that is more for convenience than anything because it can be easier to spray it than try to spread it on. LOL
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I use real butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon grease. Just depends on what I'm using it for :)

^^This^^ Decided that I liked the flavor of all the above to much to eliminate. Enjoy with moderation, so instead of countless pats of butter on my biscuit, one pat does the trick (okay maybe 2 pats :)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Real butter (salted or unsalted, recipe dependent), coconut oil, and olive oil. For me, just those three will work for every thing I cook or bake.

I can't remember the last time (if ever...) there was vegetable shortening, corn oil, canola oil, or margarine in my house. I do not like the taste of those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mostly olive oil (including the spray kind), sometimes coconut oil or butter.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Real butter & Pam Cooking Spray
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm eating, how it fits my macros, but mostly how it fits in my calories.

Smart Balance Light with Flax Seed
    Land O Lakes Light Butter with Canola Oil
    Land O Lakes Salted Butter
    KerryGold Irish Butter

For frying or baking, I tend to use PAM.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Depends what I'm doing with it but - butter, coconut oil and olive oil.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Real unsalted butter, olive oil, and coconut oil.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    unsalted butter, avocado oil, coconut oil, sesame oil-- depending on the recipe
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Pure (brand name) olive oil spread and cold-pressed olive oil or sunflower oil for frying.

I wouldn't use butter as it is a flesh food.