Healthy options at an Indian Restaurant

Options

Replies

• adityamohan
    Options
    You r absolutly rite.. Sone people don't research properly nut there tongue is very long.. I feel sorry for them
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get chicken badami and enjoy.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Definitely the tandoori chicken and just go light on the creamy curries- but enjoy!!!
  • Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Indian restaurant food is no way like real Indian food consumed at home, we eat foods very similar to Indian food (just on other side of border to India ;))
  • stephiedee23
    Options
    Nihari. It's probably not that healthy...but my lord, it's worth every calorie.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Eating healthily at an Indian buffet is so easy, just fill your plate full of everything, eat it, and return at least once or twice. Otherwise your appetite is not healthy, and your self control is too high.
  • hactci
    hactci Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    palak paneer. Since its mostly spinach it tends to have less calories than other curries. Though they usually load it with fat, and paneer is basically cheese so its not like its going to be -The- healthiest thing on the menu, but if you don't know the calories its a safe bet to make.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you've never had it before, please just do a little extra cardio or something and ENJOY!

I would also recommend thali (I love to get vegetable thali). It's basically what you'd call a "sampler". Even if not on the menu, just ask ( I think it's pronounced like "dolly", but a little more "t" than "d"). It's all very yummy.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options

This looks interesting. Hmmm, diabetes is definitely not soaring in Western countries. This epidemic of skinny people is killing us.

It is soaring in some western countries, yes. I'm not making a sweeping statement of all countries - I'm just saying that wealthy westerners generally eat better than wealthy Indians. Diabetes is soaring in the US, for example, but here you're at higher risk of every disease, diabetes included, if you are lower income.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Without getting into a debate about what "healthy" means (so I'm going to use my colloquial definition, something like lower calorie), I'd say avoid anything creamy.

Most people like murgh makhni, chicken makhni, butter chicken, chicken tikka masala (these dishes are either synonyms for each other or are very similar). The sauce is pretty much a lot of butter with cream (depending on where you go). Not low cal.

You'll probably want things called "masala." if you get bindhi (okra) masala or channa (chick pea) masala or lentil masala, they should have a sauce that isn't as fatty.

However, I like what HereOnOut said. JUST ENJOY YOURSELF! Indian food is too good to play the low-cal game with. Don't cheat yourself. And try something with lamb. A good lamb vindaloo could change your life!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I always go for some chicken tikka (similar to tandoori but the chicken is breast whereas tandoori tends to be on the bone. There should also be fish tikka and lamb, both of which are also yummy and about as low-cal as you can get! Some raita (plain yoghurt with tomato / cucumber or onion, or a combination of all three) and a couple of popadoms because I can't resist!!

Gosh, I'm hungry now.... :D
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The Indians definitely don't eat healthy food, hence why all of India is overweight and Western nations are slender and athletic. Oh, and yoga.

I thought this was a joke?

Shhhhh! :tongue:

Weighing in (ha ha) from The Subcontinental 'Hood here ... As Augustremulou said above, diabetes is absolutely soaring in this part of the world. "Indian Food" (e.g. South Asian food in general) is healthy in theory, but most people cook with oil + oil + ghee + mounds of rice! Veggies are great; veggies coated in oil, not so much. It's fine and arguably even quite healthy when you're doing a traditional amount of physical work, because it's basically veggies with the body's needed fat coming from oil or ghee. Amounts of meat on the plate, if served at all, were small. (Actually still are, compared to the West.) But I have relatives who live in rural areas, very "traditional," who struggle with diabetes now -- along with half their neighbors. Everyone has "sugar" these days. And the main cause is good old "Indian cooking." Tasty, but not healthy if you're sedentary and don't control things like amounts of rice (which most people don't). Yes, there's a lot of undernourishment, but that's another issue; those people aren't exactly eating like the offerings at an Indian restaurant - or like their middle-class neighbors who struggle with diabetes.

It CAN be healthy. I cook healthy "Indian style," but honestly it's kind of a mental challenge -- though a fun one -- to figure out how to come in under my calorie limit for the day cooking that way. And at an Indian restaurant, you will not be getting cooks who are carefully calculating the calories! You'll be getting the oil + ghee thing, because that's what is thought to make it tasty. (And it does!) Just as a benchmark, our dinners are generally around 700 calories, and that's using only about 1 TBSP of oil or ghee and not eating any rice or roti (bread). So assume that at an Indian restaurant, you're easily going to go over 1200 calories. Particularly if you're in the West (which I assume you are), in which case they're tossing in enticing things like cream etc.

FWIW, I'll add to the suggestions above that if you do without the rice or just eat a tiny amount, it'll give you some wiggle room. Also, pappadum are pretty low-fat plus gluten-free. On the whole, though, I'd just say to figure you can't get away with a light dinner, and so you might as well enjoy it. A thali plate will give you a good idea of what you like (in small amounts). And oh well, it'll be good fuel for the next day at the gym anyway :-)
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    Indian food is delicious and MOST of the actual FOOD is healthy. What gets me in trouble at the Indian for me is Chai tea. Lots of sugar and (if made right) lots of milk. Also there are these delicious round things soaking in syrup that are purely comfort food of tasty calorie breaking.

Try the chicken Tikka masala or Lamb Korma if you can. I adore Kormas.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anyone cooking Indian want to share some of their easier recipes? I love indian butand suck at cooking it, unfortunately I don't have an Indian restaurant close to where I live so its tough to get my fix!
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    Anyone cooking Indian want to share some of their easier recipes? I love indian butand suck at cooking it, unfortunately I don't have an Indian restaurant close to where I live so its tough to get my fix!

I made this one the other day. My only complaint is it wasn't as spicy as I was hoping for.

http://blog.paleohacks.com/crockpot-curry-chicken-recipe/

It calls for garam masala and if you don't have any/ can't find it in stores it's just a spice mix. I use this one

http://www.indiasnacks.com/recipe/488/Lazy-Garam-Masala.php

Trying This recipe as soon as I can get out to the butcher:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/lamb-korma-recipe
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Coming from a South Asian Background .... you can find healthy food in any ethnic cuisine. However, home cooked meals are much more healthier as you would know what you are putting in them.. Restaurant foods are hard as they focus mostly on taste - hence the addition of cream etc in curries.

this is just my opinion.
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The Indians definitely don't eat healthy food, hence why all of India is overweight and Western nations are slender and athletic. Oh, and yoga.

Are you kidding me? Homemade Indian food can be extremely healthy. Restaurant food is a different story, but the stuff served in restaurants isn't always the best representation of the food consumed daily by all Indians. And half, if not more, of India is malnourished, not overweight. Stop making judgmental and ignorant statements when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Don't mind him. He's out of his mind.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Without getting into a debate about what "healthy" means (so I'm going to use my colloquial definition, something like lower calorie), I'd say avoid anything creamy.

Most people like murgh makhni, chicken makhni, butter chicken, chicken tikka masala (these dishes are either synonyms for each other or are very similar). The sauce is pretty much a lot of butter with cream (depending on where you go). Not low cal.

You'll probably want things called "masala." if you get bindhi (okra) masala or channa (chick pea) masala or lentil masala, they should have a sauce that isn't as fatty.

However, I like what HereOnOut said. JUST ENJOY YOURSELF! Indian food is too good to play the low-cal game with. Don't cheat yourself. And try something with lamb. A good lamb vindaloo could change your life!

big point- sauce is made with heavy cream- I work with lot of folks from Indian- and they all complain that most Indian places aren't "real" Indian food- it's got to much heavy cream in it to qualify as "real"

so just stick with basic- mostly sauce-less stuff and you'll be pretty good to go.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've worked in an Indian restaurant for 4 years and I've tried everything on their menu in that time.... The Tandoori options are the healthier options because they use less ghee, but all the other pan fried stuff is cooked in it....

Personally, speaking as someone who has lost over 150lb and eaten restaurant cooked Indian food every week for 4 years, my advice is go there, enjoy what you want to enjoy and drink plenty of water the next day, plus do some extra exercise for a few days to help minimise the potential weight concerns.... But the meals I eat every week have never impacted on my weight, because I eat less calories during the day, prior to the meal and cut back a few calories the following day, also increasing my exercise for the following 48 hours.

xXx