Do you really need protein shakes?

Options
13»

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As a competitive BB, for me..the answer is yes.

Two reasons:

First, I drink 2 shakes during off season and 3-4 shakes during prep time. The ones I use give me 21-33 grams of protein for between 100-160 calories. So high dose of protein for low cals. Only thing somewhat similar is egg white and I eat a ton off egg "snots" as well.

Secondly, whey protein shakes are used to get into my system quickly either during or after a workout. While I use casine at night for a long and steady shot of protein. Could I get this will say milk (whey) and beef (casine) probably...but for convience sake this is my choice.

So for me it's necessary, but if you get your daily proteins macro elsewhere and still meet your calorie goal...no one could fault you.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the posts - but I thought I would chime in as just yesterday I was at a conference and a dietitian specializing on sports nutrition gave an informative talk. Ideally if you are training at the elite athlete level you would need some carbohydrates and up to 20g protein within 4 hours of training. If you're just hitting the gym she said a greek yogurt would be sufficient. The refuelling process after a work out shouldn't be large enough to cancel out your calorie burn.
  • stevejill91
    stevejill91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I dont use them or need them even with hi intensity workouts, I just eat real food.
  • MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How is this nonsense? With my protein powder, I get 20 G protein, 3.5 G fat, and 130 calories, when taken with water rather than milk. 20:3.5 is a dang good ratio if you ask me. Minimal calories and fat for a good amount of protein. I understand you can get more protein from say chicken breast or steak, but if you are looking for a quick source of protein and don't want too many calories or carbs if you are on a deficit, protein is an ideal option. Now, is it necessary? Probably not. I personally take it because it helps me meet my macros which requires 35% - 45% of my calories to be from protein, and 20%-25% fat, under 1500 calories daily, which works for me. Plus you get the added BCAAs and muscle recovery formula...
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As a 175 pounds guy, do I really need to get 175 grams of protein? I really have a hard time with this because:

1- I am skinny fat ..skinny arms with very little muscle tone. I do not carry much lean body mass, out of my 175 lbs, I'm sure at least 14-15% of that is fat so, do I really need all that protein to grow?

2- I eat eggs, fava beans, lentils, chicken and/or tuna (among other stuff) on a daily basis, and end up with around 105 grams of protein max. I mean. What else can I do? I'm eating a lot!

3- I still have a bit of body fat to lose so I don't really wanna be eating like a pig. And I'm still a beginner that's just starting out.

4- My body says I'm comfortably full! Is it really wise to be just stuffing myself even though I ate breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks + drank over 3 liters of water for the whole day? I just don't get it.

I do my research and try my best to find out the information but every single piece of info in the fitness world seem to have a completely opposite antagonist to it..

I am so glad I found this thread, it has been really informative. I feel I am in a pretty similar situation to you (except I'm female), feel like I'm doing all I can to eat protein but finding it hard to stay within my calorie limit/not feel absolutely stuffed and sick all the time and still only just hitting 80-100g on a good day.

At the moment I am using Pulsin Soya protein isolate to bump my numbers. It isn't a 'bodybuilding MAX whey/creatine/BULKBULKBULK' style product, but is a supplement designed for vegans to help them reach their protein needs if they need a boost. I mix a spoonful into my porridge, and another one into a smoothie with berries and low fat yoghurt. It doesn't LOOK like one of those scary protein shakes (comes in a small earthy looking pouch haha if your family are anti those supplements - I know my housemates would freak out if I came home with a 10 kilo barrel of whey protein shake), but gives me 9g of protein for 37 calories, and they have pea and hemp varieties if you're not crazy about soy (some people aren't). Maybe check them out?

Otherwise it looks like the advice here (which I'm also taking on board) is to chill out about all the immensely confusing information and give yourself time to try different strategies. I know this is tricky though if you're like me and want to see improvements fast!

Also, if you do want to hit that mythical/magical (who knows....) window maybe take a tub of very low fat cottage cheese and a couple of rye crackers in a cool tub with you to the gym, and just chow on that on the way home? I just looked it up and you can get 36g of protein for just over 200cals if you eat a 300g tub of low fat cottage cheese. It's a lot, and pretty filling, but the only way you'll get a much higher protein/amount ratio is if you use shakes.

Best of luck! Also feel free to add me as another somewhat confused newbie to this whole shebang.
  • ElkOil
    Options
    Dude, you're really over-thinking this whole thing. Take a deep breath, eat right and exercise. Don't get hung up on shakes and it seems like your opinion changes with whoever has your ear at the moment. Learn to filter out the noise, relax, and eat healthy foods.
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That is why protein powder is so popular. You get alot of protein without the unwanted carbs or fat. With meat, you get alot of protein but it comes with fat that u don't want.

Why would you not want fat?
  • Deacap
    Deacap Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one that gets plenty of protein 250ish a day. My problem is the calories I am up to 3000 per day not gaining weight still 188 and 6-1
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So eat a few hundred more :)
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I must be the only one that gets plenty of protein 250ish a day. My problem is the calories I am up to 3000 per day not gaining weight still 188 and 6-1

that's because most 6'1" 190 lb guys eat 3000 Calories to LOSE weight.

increase that by 750 calories and then re-evaluate.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a waste in my opinion.
    And people who sell supplements make it sound too hard to get the necessary nutrition from merely eating right.
    The protein shell game is just like that with marketing that includes roided up models hocking magic powder that will fulfill your dreams. It's a rip-off, but to each his own.
    I prefer whole foods that do the job quite well.
  • xxEAGLExx
    Options
    Who ever says that you need Protein Shakes???

Are they in the business of selling Protein Supplements???

The best way to get protein is from whole foods. Protein shakes are a cheap way to supplement if you aren't getting enough in your diet. I usually just try to eat an hour before lifting. Chicken and egg whites are pretty cheap even compared to protein powders, but they don't keep near as long and need to be refrigerated.

Every supplement that ever really made a difference was banned to keep sports records from being shattered. Just ask Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa, since the supplements they took were available at any GNC until they broke the home-run records.. then they passed a law and classified them as steroids. Supplements are only good to supplement your diet if it is deficient. It's always better to eat real food, and only work builds muscle despite what the magazines say.
  • CherylCalmConfidentCapable
    Options

Your muscles wont atrophy while walking 2 mins home and waiting 10 mins to prepare some food.

Please xplain this to me as a relative newbie, thanks in advance
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Screen-shot-2013-12-20-at-12.21.59-PM.png

^^ thanks for posting this :)
  • worldtraveller321
    worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just eat good food.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Protein shakes are a waste in my opinion.
    And people who sell supplements make it sound too hard to get the necessary nutrition from merely eating right.
    The protein shell game is just like that with marketing that includes roided up models hocking magic powder that will fulfill your dreams. It's a rip-off, but to each his own.
    I prefer whole foods that do the job quite well.
    This guy knows what's up!

• caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Food > shakes
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I occasionally need one. Like tonight, I finished logging my food after dinner and noticed that my protein total was 11. Eek. That's including the cheese I had at dinner. I'm not a meat eater and today was really veggie dominant.

This is precisely why I track on here, so I know when I need to bump up the protein. I wasn't about to start cooking a bunch of eggs or whatever, considering I've finished my main meals for the day. Protein shakes are quick and easy.
  • andrewheppner1
    Options
    I did exactly the same workout for 3 months without protein shakes and then with protein shakes after taking 6 months off. My muscles are WAY more defined with the Protein shakes (2 times a day), I look huge but I'm actually about 9 pounds lighter than when I was on just "real food".

I think that I will go with solely food based protein in the future but keep making smoothies with crazy ingredients because that's really been the fun part, 5 berry beet goji vanilla....banana, spinach, avocado, chocolate. YEEEHAH! Shakes are fun but when I make them into little meals I slack on my real food...