The 17 Day Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    this diet is done in 17 day cycles. So once you finish the first 17 days you move on to the next 17, and you keep repeating the cycles until you reach your final goal.

And you lost motivation and whatnot last time. What makes you think this time is going to be different? Why not commit yourself to eating at a calorie deficit, which is what you'd be doing anyways? You'd just be more flexible by eating what you'd eat and not have to worry about "cycles".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 4 of the 17 Day Diet. I haven't cheated with added sugar/carbs! But haven't lost anything yet! I did this last year only cycle 1 and lost 6 lbs. I know it works. The first cycle is a detox, so the 2nd/3rd day, i had a constant headache. I feel better today but disappointed that the scale didn't move. I am 42, 43 next month and i am 5'4. I would like to lose 25 lbs. ( i am at my highest pregnancy weight and i delivered my babies 15 & 17 yrs ago!) So, as I have gotten older, my metabolism has slowed but my food intake hasn't changed..I just kept gobbling sugar and carbs. But I love to work out, so that's why my weight goes up & down! I am swelling in the legs really bad (I am shaped like a pear), so I think the sodium is what's doing it. I am determined not to give up and not go back to eating sugar/bad carbs and drinking diet coke & Sweet tea! If I don't lose at least 5 lbs on the 17th day, I may stay in Cycle 1 instead of moving onto cycle 2 (adding sweet potatoes, grains, etc). I just need help!

Talk about complicating things.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hai, I lost 53 lbs in 9 months by eating a deficit and learning something about sustainability rather than throw it away for the 17 day diet. Word
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have to step into this thread again...if you go back in my posting history I used to defend this "eat plan"...last year about June through September...

I did this eating plan for 3 years...and never had the same success I had with just eating at a calorie deficit watching my macros etc.

I just don't understand why people won't listen...to someone who was where you are now and came through and learned something just by listening.

This "diet" yes will knock the weight off you...serious weight...mostly water weight on the first 17 days...then as you slowly add food back in you gain it back...this book doesn't give you the tools to sustain it. No talk of calories, deficits etc.

Just count your calories, weigh your food and stay in a reasonable goal and you will lose weight...my ticker is proof as is most of the tickers here questioning why you would want to do this.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    In for fad diets and already seeing the phrase "detox"...

And cake. Always in for cake.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

How about ice cream cake?!?!?!

2ujpmgx.gif
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

2ujpmgx.gif

Only if the toppers dance like that.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

2ujpmgx.gif

Only if the toppers dance like that.

I shall make it so! It'll be like the sequel to The Lego Movie. I need Emmett.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "What happens after day 17?"

Obviously this: http://youtu.be/OqL7jyrXhLs
  • Mariafit40
    Options
    I've done the 17 day diet, lost like 10 pounds, the minute you eat sugar or some real carbs, the 10 pounds come back on and a few more! it sucks.......don't believe you can live on a diet very long..
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    I've done the 17 day diet, lost like 10 pounds, the minute you eat sugar or some real carbs, the 10 pounds come back on and a few more! it sucks.......don't believe you can live on a diet very long..

While I think this diet is stupid, the only thing that makes you gain back weight is a calorie surplus.

Wouldn't it just be too easy to say eat a balanced diet and find a moderate deficit, lose weight at a sustainable pace, and still enjoy things you love? It works. ...
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I got the book from the library. After reading the first little bit I decided it would never be for me and didn't seem like something I could build lifelong habits from. I returned the book to the library.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am on the 365 day, 24/7 diet. I eat it if it fits my macros. My weight loss is slow, but I won't have sagging skin and I will live my life while I do it.

I will not deprive myself of certain food groups because I can not do that the rest of my life.

17 days? Meh.....
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    What snip said... If you can't change your lifestyle to a sustainable 365 24/7 workable solution, then... WHY???? You'll only gain it back, learn bad habits, potentially hurt your metabolism, etc in the long run. Use MFP to teach you the proper way to eat for the remainder of your life that helps you lose weight then maintain. :glasses:
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

2ujpmgx.gif

Still half asleep... read this as... 17 days of eating ice cream cake. Did I get it wrong?
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have seen this book at a friends home but never thought to crack it. I have logged in and tracked my food for 17 days in a row. This has been working for me, I've lost weight. It seems easier just to log on here and track food I want to eat. Is this book really the key to your weight loss goal?