How often do you slip up?

Options
2»

Replies

• let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My first goal on MFP was just to log, no matter what I put in my mouth, for the first 30 days. It brought the awareness I needed to make adjustments, I was over by a lot every day. I am aware now, if I go over by X amount of calories, I just adjust the next meal, or next day. I have been able to eat whatever I want with an ease that I have never had before. I do the best I can to make good choices but sometimes I just want a greasy, or sugary item! I don't see this as a slip, a slip for me would be being too strict and then binging.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week when I go over when I go out to dinner with my husband. This is my "cheat day"; I don't eat everything in sight, but I do allow myself a meal where I can have something I enjoy. It has not caused me to put on weight, but possibly kept me at a plateau. The cheat should not be so many calories that it undoes the deficit for the rest of the week. As my eating has changed, though, I have found that I am not as able to eat as much on those days. Yesterday, we went to the 99 on a cool autumn day, and I had the chicken pot pie; I could only eat half of it and brought the rest home for my son to enjoy. I ended up going over only by 400 calories or so. However, if I had eaten the whole thing (which I could have done a couple of years ago), I would have consumed 1400 calories in one meal. So, I guess the other admonition is to have what you enjoy, but in moderation.

You are going to have special occasions, holidays, or social events where you may end up eating unplanned things. My own feeling is to keep those extra calories for meals and events you really enjoy, not for fast food or "mindless eating."
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If I am going to intentionally have something as a treat....my policy is to find the best treat I can have.

No run of the mill food.

Best pizza, best brownie etc. you get the drift........
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I try to look at my overs/unders for the who week rather then just one day. So I can "slip up" a few times a week, but by the end of the week I try to stay as close to even as possible (ie: Monday under 500 - thanks to lack of appetite and zumba, Tueday over 250 , Wednesday under 400, Thursday over 100, Friday under 100, Saturday over 300, Sunday over 200)...after everything plays out I still ended up the week 150 under my recommended calories....so the slip ups through out the week don't derail me. Or if I know I have an event coming up that might challenge me, I will build up little "stores" of allowed calories for the week, 100 here 200 there and by the end of the week when my event hits, I have built up at least 700 extra calories that I can enjoy. Hope that helps!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I apologize if that subject line comes off as negative. I wish that once I said I am starting a diet, I could stick with it until the end, but the truth is I always slip up. It has been one week since I decided to be a dedicated logger, and I just went far over my calories tonight (knowingly, but not caring). It was a mistake, but the difference this time is that I am here, and I'm looking to head in the right direction tomorrow.

Is it terrible that I've already lost focus after only a week? I have heard people say "oh, it happens to us all!", but what exactly does that mean? Every couple weeks? Months?
    I don't see what you describe as a slip up, but as a learning experience. I just spent two weeks in Ireland, and I enjoyed every bit of the delicious food i ate that i know is just a once in a lifetime, and I ate over my calorie goal quite often, but I also did a ton of walking (my cousin and I did not rent a car), and my clothes are not too much tighter anywhere, so I am okay. I also did not log on this trip but a few times because I was so busy, but that' all just fine.

I am glad to be back home and am right back on track with calorie goals, exercise, and logging.
  • themotherboard
    themotherboard Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I probably slip up all the time, unknowingly. That is why early on, when I could eat a lot more calories, I always gave myself fewer than what I "could" in case I forgot to record something, or in case I measured incorrectly. Now that I have fewer calories I can eat in a day, I do every now and then make a decision that takes me 100 (or under) calories over my daily goal. But never go totally out of control. I think different things work for different people. And I agree with an earlier comment that looking at a weekly average works.

Also agreeing with what an earlier post said, most important is what you do AFTER that matters most. We're in this for a lifetime, so get back on the horse.
  • nomorefatjuu
    nomorefatjuu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lately, onde a week, feeling like I am losing focus and self control
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Don't think of this as a diet - because it can't be a diet. Your previous eating habits are what got you here. By thinking "diet" you are putting the notion in your head that it's temporary. If you go back to your old ways of eating, you will end up back here again. Think of it as a lifestyle change leading to a better you.

From the horse's mouth to your ear!

There will be times - holidays, celebrations, vacations, and the like - when you eat more than your average daily need. Food is a source of pleasure. But if you've made a successful lifestyle change, there will be relatively few of them, and you'll adjust accordingly.

In his recent book _The Diet Fix_, Dr. Yoni Freedhoff suggests asking yourself the following question when you're confronted by something that looks tempting: "How much of this do I need to eat to feel satisfied?" That's a useful mantra. My wife has chocolate every day, but it's usually one or two small squares of rich, intensely flavored chocolate, after dinner. Her weight is fine and always has been. On the other hand, my tendency to mindlessly cut off another piece of cheese, or scarf down another handful of chips, led me slowly but surely to obesity.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Since I eat what ever the hell I want I NEVER slip up. I do occasionally exceed my calorie goals. I almost never go over including workout calories though (I usually only eat half back at most). This is a lifestyle change so if you "slip up" occasionally It is really no big deal. The more accustom you get to this lifestyle change the easier it is to fall within your goals. I suggest that you set you goal to lose .5 pounds a week. Once you can reliably do that you can further restrict your calories if you have a lot to lose. I lost about 70 pounds and have maintained since January of this year. I set my goal to lose .5 a week and never changed it. I ended up averaging 1.5 pounds a week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    This is very stupid, simple, self-help hogwash, but it view the weight loss journey as walking a path in the woods. Sometimes you trip on a tree root, but you get up and keep walking. :)

Most people who lose a lot of weight have setbacks. That's all it is: a setback. A blip. One little moment. Move along, more prepared for what's coming.
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am trying to focus on getting healthier and a life style change, rather then a diet (tried weight loss many times before with no long term success). I try to track the day before and if i want something i will have a little or pre-plan it. I find now that i eat less because my tummy is smaller, so i get full faster. But the most important thing for me is, when a slip up happens, pick yourself up and keep on going. day by day, it will eventually happen. :) Everybody is different but that's my thought for myself.
  • hedean
    hedean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for those replies! I want to quote so many of the wonderful things you said but it would take way too long because everyone added something! Very helpful responses, and now that it is tomorrow, you all helped me feel motivated and regret-free about the setback.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally overeat. Sometimes I underestimate what is in my food and am surprised when I calculate it. But, I have been pretty good so far staying in my calorie goal. I don't have any foods that are off limits, I just have to make room for them or exercise more. Don't beat yourself up though, just start a new day
  • buttfacedprincess
    Options
    I slip up very very often. I'm not proud of it and I have a long way to go with my relationship with food. However, I have never let myself creep up to my starting weight and the trend is downward, so I could imagine a much worse situation. Still, I would probably be at or near my goal right now if I hadn't given in so much. Haha oh well, just gotta strive to do better.