How do you adjust caloric intake to account for exercise?

Options
Hi. Myfitnesspal calculated the number of calories I need to lose one pound per week. Because I work at a desk for 8 - 10 hours per day, I indicated I was "sedentary" as part of the calculation.

When I adhere to the calorie recommendations calculated by myfitnesspal, I am exhausted and I find myself missing workouts and binging. I normally try to workout 30 - 90 minutes five times a week. Am I supposed to adjust my calorie recommendations? How do I do that?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• lockedontarget
    Options
    What kind of training do you do 5 days a week? If your overweight then don't eat back your exercise cals. If you feel tired then it's probable because you aren't eating enough complex carbs. Dieting isn't easy and you need to be disciplined and stick with it.
  • ma5y
    ma5y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I lift weights four to five times a week. I do cardio on the other days.
  • DMSavoia
    DMSavoia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You might be burning too many calories too fast. I would go with 1/2 a pound a week for weight loss goals. I eat 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% of healthy fats daily. My calorie intake is 1400-1500 for losing body fat for my height and weight, I'll increase it to 1650-1700 once I reach my goal. I do not eat back my calories. I stick with my goals always, otherwise I'm over eating. I lift 4 days a week for about 45 minutes and 20 min of hiit after 3 of my lifting workouts. Do you drink a post workout protein? Are you having a Preworkout snack for energy? I wouldn't say you are sedentary if your workouts are that long 5 days a week. I'd say lightly active instead. I have a sedentary job but I include my fitness as an average for my goals, lightly active.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi. Myfitnesspal calculated the number of calories I need to lose one pound per week. Because I work at a desk for 8 - 10 hours per day, I indicated I was "sedentary" as part of the calculation.

When I adhere to the calorie recommendations calculated by myfitnesspal, I am exhausted and I find myself missing workouts and binging. I normally try to workout 30 - 90 minutes five times a week. Am I supposed to adjust my calorie recommendations? How do I do that?

Thank you in advance.

If you are doing the MFP method you're supposed to log that exercise and you get calories to "eat back." That's how you account for exercise with MFP...you just have to be careful not to overestimate calorie burn...which is difficult.

Otherwise, use a TDEE calculator and include some estimate of your exercise over the course of your average week and just customize your goals on MFP.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What kind of training do you do 5 days a week? If your overweight then don't eat back your exercise cals. If you feel tired then it's probable because you aren't eating enough complex carbs. Dieting isn't easy and you need to be disciplined and stick with it.

Or this tool can be used as designed...which is to eat back exercise calories...which is all explained in the stickies....
  • ma5y
    ma5y Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll adjust to a one-half pound loss per week.