Biking to work and sweat.

Options
2»

Replies

• bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I generally carry all my stuff in a backpack.

I am unsure if this school as a shower (it is a smaller middle school). That seems like an interesting option, but changing so many times a day seems very intense.

If you went to a gym wouldn't you change in and out of your clothes as well? It's kind of the same thing.

Also can you inquire about a shower at the school?
  • white__wizard
    white__wizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bike the same distance to work and back almost everyday.

I handle it by taking it really slow, and going in early (if that's an option for you). Once you're pretty in shape, it's definitely doable to go in stank-less. Remember, you're just getting to work, not trying to win the tour de france.

I pack my workout clothes and change real quick before I leave my office job and then take an extended long-way-home-pedal-hard cardio session on the way home.

I'd say have your car on standby for super hot days.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ditto what white__wizard said. Take it slow. If you want to go all out and get the heart rate up you have after work on the ride home for that. I ride to work as well sometimes, best thing I find is to wear breathable clothing. Light material, bring deodorant and wash up in the bathroom if you have to with a towel.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been biking to work for years. Most days it's fine. On super hot days, I may ride in a workout shirt and then put my "nice one" on when I get there. I keep baby wipes with a nice scent there and a deodorant there.

if I'm still sweaty when I arrive, I have a little baby powder to absorb.

It's worth it!

If I don't ride, I walk. It's good "NEAT" activity.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Your middle school should have a locker room, right? Our middle school men play basketball every Thursday morning at 6am then shower and teach.

Your admin should be very supportive of you; you are a great example to the kids!

Best of luck to you! And thanks for teaching middle school; I am a HS teacher, and wouldn't trade spots with you EVER!
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 mile one-way commute as well, and ride year round (-30F to 100F). In the summer/muggy months, it helps if you shower in the morning before the ride to control odor. Also, lower the speed about 1/4 mile from work and coast in.
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad that I found this thread :-D I just started riding my bike to work yesterday. I have a 2.5 mile ride to work from the house and have found all of these tips super helpful. I live in Atlanta and work at an airline headquarters. I go to work at 1pm and ride home at 11:30pm. I think my office has a shower on another floor.. I'll have to go exploring a bit. I'm thinking a 5 min cold shower will help me cool down from the ride. The baby powder tip is also a good one.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    I have been riding to work for years now. I have it down pat. I've got a pannier that is waterproof (year round rider) and I carry what I need. I actually keep socks, pair of pants, sweater at work all the time in case I forget something. I ride to the gym and workout before riding to train station then to get to work. I was afraid of stinking everyone out too in the beginning. I have kinda like baby wipes when I got too sweaty before I start working and I wear bike gear so it's dries quickly. no one has complained yet lolol, not even the boss. I put my hair in a ponytail, in a bun, so don't have to deal with that., I take a spare set of bike gear for the ride home too. good luck