I get so bored running..

Options

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    he actually has a point, you may need to try something different to get your cardio, jumping rope, bike around, there are tons of things you can do. Is there a particular reason you NEED to run?

^ This. If you NEED to run solo to meet your service obligations, then just suck it up and force yourself to run. If you have problems focusing on long distances, pick a telephone pole or mailbox (or some other landmark) that's a quarter-mile ahead and tell yourself that you will run until you reach it. Then pick another one. Repeat until you're done.

But if you get sufficient running in when you're in a group, then there's no shame in finding another cardio exercise to do by yourself. My wife hates running but loves cycling, so she cycles. I like them both, but cycling is easier on my knees, so I do about 5 hours of cycling for every hour of running.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    then don't run

You suck

How so? He has a point. If you don't like it/get bored with it, then find something that better holds your interest.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to run when you find it boring?

I don't run because I don't like it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Instead of just running, try to beat your time over that particular distance, or up your distance, or do some intervals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Some good tips here. Try a running club, try music or audio books. Switch up your route, or just don't run.

You're Army, so you have to run for your PT tests, so you have to run. But if the formation runs singing jodies are good enough then you don't HAVE to run more often.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I run uphill, downhill, flat, over fields, through the forest, along streams and rivers, listen to the birds sing, watch the squirrels, enjoy the flowers and fruits of the current season.....

To sum it up, I enjoy nature. Running is good for the body. Running in a natural setting is good for the soul too.

And because variety is the spice of life....I bike, run, horseback ride, swim, strength train, and practice Tai Chi ;-) All over the course of a week usually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I hate running, so I don't do it...or rarely do it. When I was in the military, it was a requirement but I only did as much as I needed to in order to meet that requirement. There are numerous other things I enjoy far more than running, so I do those things.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    music, day dreaming, looking at the scenery. my sister does math problems in her head as she runs. you could listen to podcasts or audio books. there's a lot you can do to help get you through a long run.
  • apacheta
    Options
    How about borrowing someone's dog? Running is way more fun for me when I have one of my dogs along. They are very entertaining and great running dogs push you to your edge. My mutt is kind of a slacker, but my GSD kicks my *kitten*. Plus you'd be doing both the dog and your friend/neighbor a great kindness...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Why are you running? If it's only to get in shape, then find something else to do. If it's to comply with physical fitness requirements for the Army, tough sh** suck it up.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Mmmmm a bunch of hot army guys running and sweating .....
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I incorporated 2 wheels and pedals into my long days. I hate running alone. I love biking alone and go longer and farther and am now a happy person doing cardio.
  • Project2015
    Options
    my boyfriend has an app on his phone called, zombie run! i believe. and it has you running to get supplies for survival of your group, tells you when a zombie is coming and you have to run to get away from it, the app tracks your movement and steps,and you can set it for as long as you want. thats what gets him running, maybe you could try it!
  • lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    then don't run

You suck

he actually has a point, you may need to try something different to get your cardio, jumping rope, bike around, there are tons of things you can do. Is there a particular reason you NEED to run?

I was sort of thinking the same thing actually. Running may not be a good fit for you if you hate doing it :-/ I get bored as hell with running... So I just recently started riding my bike to work. I figure a car runs on money and makes you fat while riding your bike runs on fat and saves you money :-P
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You really find outdoor running that boring? There are usually countless things to distract me along the route and I have my music, I guess I don't expect to be in a persistent state of high entertainment every waking moment...
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Did a seven hour trail run today...no headphones...but I can tell you I did not get bored once.... I got a lot of other things, but bored was not one of them.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    First, I love my music.

Second, I daydream and make up stories in my head. Then, my mind will begin to wander and I will start solving problems (talk myself through issues) or generating ideas (I'm in a creative field). Then I will do the daydreaming/stories and the whole cycle begins again.

Basically, if I run long enough I will solve all my, my family's, and ultimately the world's problems!

This is actually why I love running. I finish stress free!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Someone probably already said it, but I do an audiobook. There is a great app called Overdrive Media Console that lets you rent them from your local library using your library card. Totally free, and I just lose myself to the book and the rhythm of my feet hitting pavement.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd agree with others that maybe you should find something else to do for exercise but I assume since you're military, you have to run. My cousin is in the military and does a lot of races to keep himself motivated. He also tracks how many miles he's gone on an app and sets goals to do more miles every year. Make it a game. Try going faster, farther, etc. Challenge your friends, spouse, etc to join you. With races, a lot of times they're for charity so let that be your inspitation, knowing you're also helping someone.

I like doing interval training, picking new routes, generally meandering. You talk about ADHD, I can't even tell my husband where I'll be because I see a street and think hey, I wonder what's down there. I even had one adventure earlier this summer where I made myself a bit nervous, hoping I could find the way home Thankfully I have a pretty good sense of direction. :)