Is spinning 6 times a weeks beneficial to weight loss

I want to lose 10 pounds and I recently fell in love with spinning. If I do a spin class six times a week without doing other excercise would I reach my 10 pound weight loss goal? Or should I incorporate other excercise into my week?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    i am the first to encourage women especially to do weight-training just because it is so good for our bones.
    but 6 spinning classes per week - sounds awesome and wish i loved it, too. LOL
    go for it! you will probably be really hungry, so make sure to eat healthy after your work-out!
    :smile:
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    i am the first to encourage women especially to do weight-training just because it is so good for our bones.
    go for it! you will probably be really hungry, so make sure to eat healthy after your work-out!

I have been really hungry after spinning. I usually eat 1200 calories a day. Should I increase my calorie consumption considering I'm spinning so much? Or should I leave it at 1200?
  • K3nda
    K3nda Posts: 12 Member
    I love spin class but I only do it once a week. I would try to mix up your cardio and see if that helps :)
  • yes it is, I did it for 90 days straight and it help me sculpt my abs, that was like a year ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I want to lose 10 pounds and I recently fell in love with spinning. If I do a spin class six times a week without doing other excercise would I reach my 10 pound weight loss goal? Or should I incorporate other excercise into my week?
    It will if you stay within a moderate deficit from your TDEE.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Eat at a deficit~ lose weight
    Eat at a surplus~ gain weight

No matter what your workout, just make sure your truly eating at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Weighing and measuring everything you consume is important.
  • La5Vega5Girl

I have been really hungry after spinning. I usually eat 1200 calories a day. Should I increase my calorie consumption considering I'm spinning so much? Or should I leave it at 1200?

if you are doing that much cardio, i would suggest eating back about half of those you burned. i personally do not eat back my exercise calories, but i do mostly weight training which doesn't burn as many calories as an hour of spinning would.

example: eat 1200 calories.
    spin & burn 400 calories (assuming, i have no clue)
    then eat an extra 200 calories above your normal 1200
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    what he said. Eat at a deficit, then the spinning can help you on top of that. 3500 calories a week= 1lb in theory.
    Why would spinning help? = because it burns calories like most exercise.= 400-700 cals an hour
    Do what you enjoy but people like to mix up cardio and do some resistance training as well.
    As said above people eat back but depends on getting an accurate record of cals burned. If its the MFP estimates then 50% is a pop amount.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It might be nice to try something else once every week or two, just to work another part of the body and so you can see what else you like. That way, if you get sick of spinning, you'll have a backup.

But you may never tire of spinning! So, I could be full of it.

If you haven't seen the doctor yet, do that. All weight loss journeys should be supervised. Decide if 1200 is enough with him.

Many people can eat more than 1200 and still lose. But if you aren't weak, tired, dizzy or hungry, stick with 1200 until you don't feel strong and energetic.

I used to think "spinning" was like a class where women twirled around. Then I went to a gym.

Enjoy your spinning!! :)
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Your body doesn't know whether you're spinning, running, or doing Zumba. Focus on the food instead of the exercise. Eat less, move more.
  • La5Vega5Girl

I used to think "spinning" was like a class where women twirled around. Then I went to a gym.

^^ LOVE IT! ^^ :laugh:
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    If you love it, do it. If you stop loving it, change to something else. If you feel like you are doing it so much it is causing injury, take a break (and see a doc if needed.)
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Might want to incorporate some weight training. You will lose weight, yes, but your body doesn't care if it pulls from fat or muscle.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    I lost 40 pounds in 4 months spinning 3 or 4 times a week.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    ....and I ate back roughly half of my exercise calories.