Plateau? :(

Options
Hi there.

Sooo... since I started weight training 2,5 months ago I haven't lost any weight anymore. (I did stronglifts 5x5 and am now doing new rules of lifting for women.)
I'm still eating at a deficit, a small one, 1700 calories a day.
I've set up MFP to lose 0,2 kg a week as I am only 4 kg away from my goal weight. However, I'm still quite fat in a lot of places. I'd almost call myself skinny fat now. :/
60 kg was my original goal weight. I'm 165 cm tall. So 60 kg should be right in the middle BMI-wise.
But what should I do now? I'm not losing anymore but not gaining either.
I doubt that this is all muscle gained and fat lost? It's been like that for 2,5 months now.
Should I try to lose more and set a new goal weight? Like 55 kg..? I have no idea.
All I want is to look lean and fit and I know that the scale doesn't really matter too. My clothes aren't getting bigger either.
I have started taking measurements on the first of this month and will measure again on the first of october.
But in the meantime I'm just being cranky about it and upset that i don't see or feel any results like I used to - before weight training.
What do i do? :c

Replies

• Zoe_lifts
    Zoe_lifts Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    anyone? xD
  • bugzbrown
    bugzbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Zoe,
    After a while of your initial workout routines, it is normal for the body to reach a standstill like you apparently have. I've read tons of things about this kind of thing (I was in the same situation myself). One of the explanations that most makes sense, specially in your case (weight lifting) is that your are slowly building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My suggestion is that you use a measuring tape and measure out main areas of concern, preferably first thing in the morning.
    I actually found that taking daily measurements and taking a weekly avg shows me a more accurate evolution chart (as depending on your diet, water intake and so on, your body may change slightly on a day to day basis).
    I must warn you about measurements and weights in a more general term... there will be times when you simply seem not to be progressing at all. I stayed a couple of months with virtually no noticeable change to my body. I was biking the odd 15km a day and doing indoor climbing twice a week for about 2 hours. I was burning through roughly 1200 Calories during my workouts, and eating at a deficit of about 400. I would have expected to have lost a substantial amount but actually barely noticed any change, either in weight or measurements. It was only when I had a checkup, that what had happened became visible. I did a full checkup, blood works, fat % and the rest (I try to do checkups every two to three months). My body had gone from 22% fat to 17% fat, I had lowered my Base Heart Rate from 76 to 72, and my overall recovery rate had also increased.
    So what can I say to you? Keep pushing. You are young (I am almost twice your age) and if you manage to get into the habit of exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet (you don't need to go crazy, just eat healthy and happily - ocasional slips and indulgences are part of being happy), you'll be in prime shape not only now but for the rest of your life.
    Keep going strong girl.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lower your calories a bit, your caloric needs have likely lowered either due to a change in exercise habits (assuming you have been doing TDEE method and thus not logging and eating back exercise) or have lowered due to slight weight loss. So even though you've been slatting, if you have been eating 1700 since you first started then it's probably no longer an adequate deficit.

Recalculate your needs, either with or without exercise, and recalculate your deficit (10% would even be fine, but 15% would probably give you more ease of mind).

I recommend exrx.net or health-calc.com
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Hey Zoe,
    After a while of your initial workout routines, it is normal for the body to reach a standstill like you apparently have. I've read tons of things about this kind of thing (I was in the same situation myself). One of the explanations that most makes sense, specially in your case (weight lifting) is that your are slowly building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat.

This is not what is happening in OP's case, she is simply either no longer losing weight at all (calories too high) or she is losing MUCH much slower, especially as she's near her target weight
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I half agree with bugzbrown. It's not very likely that you're gaining any muscle as you're eating at a calorie deficit and you're a woman - both factors combined making muscle growth difficult to impossible. But I do agree with the bit about patience. When the changes are smaller, they take A LOT more time and patience - the latter being the hardest part for many (myself included).

You need to give the strength training more time. And it might not hurt to shave off 50-100 calories per day just to see if it helps. I did that myself recently, mostly to account for any possible underestimates with calories eaten and it has seemed to help. Also, if you're not already, weigh solid foods as much as possible for the most accuracy and of course make sure you're consistent with your logging.

Measuring tapes can be tricky so I'd also encourage you to take progress pics as they may show the most noticible differences.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, lol (165, stuck at 60.5 kg forever). In my case though I know I should eat a bit less, I'm just so hungry, it's hard. But it would be my advice - and to weigh your food if you're not already doing that.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    Hmm.. Yes, I'm already measuring liquids and weighing solids, all that jazz. And yes, it's accurate :) I scan the stuff i can with the app. I have a heart rate monitor for calories burned during cardio exercise so that's also about correct.
    I started out in april eating 1200 calories, then about 1500 and now 1700 as i'm getting closer to my goal weight, AND have gotten a more active job after a few weeks of eating 1200 cals. I was still losing steadily at 1500.
    I guess I'll just have to be patient, eat well and keep exercising 3 - 4 times a week.
    I used to run a lot before i joined the gym in june. Maybe it helps to change up my exercise routine a bit..? Maybe a long run again once a week instead of only weights + 30 mins HIIT or low intensity cardio 3x/week?
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Shift to maintenance for a week or two, then go back to a deficit (half pound per week or so). If anything you'll get a strength boost and end up burning more calories per workout by the time you go back to a deficit.
  • Zoe_lifts
    Options
    Shift to maintenance for a week or two, then go back to a deficit (half pound per week or so). If anything you'll get a strength boost and end up burning more calories per workout by the time you go back to a deficit.
    But i'm not losing anymore, maybe 1700 IS my maintenance? I'm quite short.. Only 165 cm / 5ft 4in