Ideal weight for 5'7?

Options
12346»

Replies

• ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh 209 ugh!!!But every time I have people guess my weight they always think I am 170 or 165. I do carry alot of muscle and most of my weight is on my *kitten* and thighs. Just had a baby 6 months ago and nursing trying to get back in shape.

Because I nurse I have to eat an addtl 500 calories a day(1910) total just to maintain my milk supply which means to healthly lose weight I can only do 1 lb a week, which is frustrating cuz I want to go full swing into losing but can't

Oh well my baby's needs come first
  • jmadyun21
    jmadyun21 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My first goal would be160 I think that would be great for my height and frame. Once I reach it, I will see how I feel and determine whether I need to set another goal. The lowest weight I plan to go would be 140. Anything less would make me look too small.
  • ssparklegurl007
    Options
    My height is also 5'7" and my goal weight is 140.....though WHEN (not IF :D) I get to that weight, and I still think I don't look the best I can possibly be, then my goal weight is 130.....nothing lower than that....then I would probably be underweight. Once upon a fairly long time, I was under 130 in middle school or so.....I basically felt self-conscious because I was too skinny for my height (oh, if i only i knew..I would gain a lot more weight later on and feel even MORE self-conscious). But then, puberty came along...and I grew taller (naturally) and gained more weight from middle school through high school. I was 130 in high school and looked pretty good, normal, healthy weight. I was actually happy. Now, I feel self-conscious, upset that I am a little overweight (I am in between skinny and chubby....the very borderline), basically.....NOT what i want to be feeling.

However, I am starting to lose weight AND body fat (down 5 lbs and about 5% body fat), which is good. I feel great and proud of myself for eating a lot healthier, smaller portions (the right amounts), and going to the gym every day, PLUS a walk that day (weather permitting LOL) for 30 minutes every day. So yeah I hope you all continue on a happy weight loss journey and actually succeed! :):D<3
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think the ideal weight and calorie intake should be for a girl who is 5'7?
    This BMI chart says a healthy weight range for someone who's 5'7" is between 120 - 155 lb.
    To maintain any particular weight, eat 10x that in calories, so 1200 - 1550 cal per day.

http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
  • jdubcr
    jdubcr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 5' 7" and am aiming for 139.
    Have been as low as 125 and high of 152.
    125 too thin! That was about 10 years ago after doing weight watchers it was hard to figure how much to eat once I wanted to stop losing.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I will be happy in the ball park of 148. At my peak in May 2014 I was 246 :frown: I'm down to 230, and that is 11 pounds down in 2 weeks of being on this program.

Oh, and I am 5'7" tall.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and my off-season weight is 130. My stage weight (see my profile pic) is 118-120. That's impossible to maintain long-term for me. In the off-season I eat around 2200.
  • chvyryder
    chvyryder Posts: 3
    Options
    I am 5'7 and have been as low as 121 and as high as 155. Every one has a different body shape but I enjoy myself best at 127. I am currently at 130, sometimes 131 so I am trying to get back to 127. When I was 121 I was WAY too skinny and everyone said I looked unhealthy (factor of divorce) then I gained some weight, exercise and weight train and have reached 130. But I do not feel content, I would like to go back down to 127.

To maintain I was informed to eat 1600 calories a day and then told that I should not lose any weight based on height and weight. However if I wanted to I would need to eat 300 calories less a day, I think. I usually eat between 1400 to 1600 because I work out 3-4 times a week.
  • flame_retardant
    flame_retardant Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7.5, 29yrs old, and currently 136lbs. I got on the scale once in front of my friends and everyone thought I'd be 10lbs lighter. I'm big-boned with big shoulders and play them up so the rest of me looks narrow in comparison. It's wonderful the things you can do with clothes if you dress right.

I'd be happier at 130lbs though, I think just so that my middle-section would be more toned/stronger and less flabby.

My lowest as an adult was 22yo - 112lbs. Bones popping out all over the place, emaciated face.
  • mbibble
    mbibble Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My frame is pretty tiny but curvy. I weigh 115 right now and everything is very puffy and un-toned. I eat around 2,000 calories a day and was running high mileage weeks until I had surgery on my jaw that I'm recovering from. I didn't really gain that much weight, but I have new thigh & butt cellulite that I didn't have before. :(

Like all of you, I think all bodies are different so the weight isn't that relevant. I weighed 100 pounds through high school at the same height and no one even batted an eyelash. At 110 earlier this year, everyone said that I had filled out & looked great but I feel slightly too "loose" at 115. I'm looking to lose around 3 pounds. Hopefully it won't look extreme...

Anyone else have 5'7 goals that look scary on paper but fine on their bodies?
  • Alexandria82010
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and weigh 129. I used to wear a size 12 but I got down to a 6 with hula hooping! I hate working out but hooping is fun! My goal is to eat around 1300 calories a day but I eat under some days because I'm a broke college student lol.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I got a bodpod scan done to find out my ideal weight. It told me that at 158 lbs I had 27.8% body fat. So, using some visual charts, I decided I wanted to be at 17%. I used an online calculator and it told me I would need to be at 137 for 17% body fat. I'll probably look really good at 140-148 and may or may not feel the need to get any more lean, but we'll see.

Anyways, getting a body fat test is the best way to answer this question, because the answer has as much to do with lean body mass as it does your height! :)
  • dizzyray822
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and because I have so much to loose now my first goal is 200. Once I get there I will evaluate and most like set my next goal for 170. As a teenager I remember working very hard to get to what my recommended weight was for my height and got to 138 by only eating 900 calories. I looked sick and looking back I think I had a problem. I have a larger frame which is not an excuse for being fat now but 138 was just too small for me. I think I felt happiest about 170. So my thoughts are everyone is different and as long as you are eating healthy and staying active you'll know when you feel your best.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am just under 5'7 like by a very slim margin so my dr. sometimes does 5.6 and three quarters or 5'7 depending on the nurse. :)
    In any case, my GW is 152-156. I have been there before and I look good there. I am a muscular frame and my nutritionist and coach told me my frame would not look good really tiny, which I already knew. :)

I was as low as 127 when in college and everyone told me I looked sick. I got up to 140 and I was still told I was too skinny.. go figure.
    No matter what others say you should aim for a size you feel comfortable with and where you know you look good. For me that is around the 150's. Oh and to get to my goal weight, my TDEE estimates that I should be eating about 1830 per day as long as I work out three days a week, which I do and I lift. I am trying to get my body fat % down as that is more important than the scale because the scale is not as accurate for really measuring success -IMHO.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think the ideal weight and calorie intake should be for a girl who is 5'7?
    This BMI chart says a healthy weight range for someone who's 5'7" is between 120 - 155 lb.
    To maintain any particular weight, eat 10x that in calories, so 1200 - 1550 cal per day.

http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

WRONG. To maintain a weight of 120-155 lb. at 5'7, the calorie range is about 1550-1750. This is based off of many calculators I have seen including www.fat2fitradio.com and scooby. No wonder women feel the need to starve themselves...:noway:

BTW- thats based off of sedentary TDEE. A woman who exercises can probably maintain on 1750-2000 cals+
  • indiacruella
    indiacruella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

5'7" Female, Currently at 144 (ish haven't had a weigh in recently) my original goal weight was 140, but I've lowered it down to 134 pounds.

I've changed my goals because I know I won't be happy at 140, but also as I was getting closer to my goal weight I started to feel less motivated and struggled to shift those last pounds. I'm hoping this will give me the extra push I need! x
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 123-125. I feel fabulous at this weight. Lots of energy and quite muscular but curvy. I train for triathlon so on rest days I am at 1700 and workout days go over 2500 sometimes. I am determined to not get injured so am going to eat exactly what calories I need and very high quality foods. I was 133-135 for a long time but wanted to run faster and lose body fat. I am now hoping to build muscle and lose 1 inch off each thigh. I've never been so happy about my body my entire life. I am 43. Thanks MFP for taking the fear and mystery out of my food. I am scoffing over 300 g of carbs a day too. After years of lc that is heaven. Please visit my diary!!

Case in point. (from page 2)
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Before my college weight gain, I weighed 150 at 5'7. I worked out over two hours every single day and played sports competitively, so even at that weight I looked as small as I will ever feel comfortable looking. My butt was the biggest thing on me then lol. That's my goal weight for now, even though I know I will probably look bigger since I won't be as muscular and compact. I'm eating around 1395 net cals a day, running three or four times a week and lifting, and am 35 pounds from my goal.