How do I get a smaller butt?!

Options
I am having a major issue losing in my butt/upper thigh region. Do you guys have any tips on how to lose it and not build muscle?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just lose fat. Outside of that, you are fighting genetics. But considering you are several underweight as it stands, it's probably a body image issue. And gaining muscle, believe it or not, will make you look more lean. The below is an extreme example, but look at her 120 vs 130 results.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why you would not want to gain muscle? In 3-4 months my hips went from 44 inches to 39 inches, with almost 20 pounds lost. If I had not been squatting and dead lifting heavier weight, my butt would still be around 42 inches I'm SURE. Anyway, if you're eating at a deficit to lose the fat, you can't gain muscle mass anyway. Weight training will just help you lose fat.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    5'11" & 119lbs. And you want to lose an additional 5. ?

I don't think you have much fat in your butt to lose

• arditarose
    Options
    5'11" & 119lbs. And you want to lose an additional 5. ?

I don't think you have much fat in your butt to lose

Oh yeah, I didn't see that. Now I think you should definitely squat!
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Judging by the fact that you're 5'11 and 119 pounds, I'm relatively sure that you won't decrease the size of your butt by losing weight, as you don't really have any weight to lose and If it was going to be gone by dieting, it would be gone.
    That being said, building muscle doesn't always make your butt bigger-it can actually make it more compact.
    I've got a huge butt, and the only thing that makes it look better are squats. I can't get rid of it-it's where I gain my weight and what my genes have destined me to have. I can, however, tone it and make it look as good as possible.
    Also, If you build muscle in your upper body it will balance you out a bit more and make it less noticible.
    Finally-embrace it! There's nothing wrong with having a booty!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed it's always the really young ones who think they have to look like they are starving? I'm not name calling but I'm talking to you OP.

Why do you feel you have to weigh lighter than air? Where did you get that idea? I really want to know....I'm serious.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you're really 5'11" and 119, you don't have a fat butt. I promise.

If you're focusing on the tiny bits of fat you still have, you should consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. They can help you work through why it is you're focusing on fat when your body is so skinny. You could end up much happier.

To answer the question, without toning, you can't target a special area. I get not wanting to build muscle!! You can tone your butt without ending up looking muscular. Weights will make your arms bigger, but not your butt. Not so you'd notice, anyway. (Arms, though...yikes.) Try eating a little more and doing squats.

Good luck with everything.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Has anyone noticed it's always the really young ones who think they have to look like they are starving? I'm not name calling but I'm talking to you OP.

Why do you feel you have to weigh lighter than air? Where did you get that idea? I really want to know....I'm serious.

Exactly^^^
    :ohwell:
  • Jenny_Aguayo
    Jenny_Aguayo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AMEN SISTA!!!!!!! :love: :wink:
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You're 5'11" and 119 pounds. How much butt do you have to get rid of? And if you do have some butt, why get rid off it? Squat deep and get that thang right. Good day, I said good day! :tongue:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The world needs more butt, not less. Don't be part of the problem.
  • arditarose
    Options
    what the world needs now...is butt, sweet butt.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    what the world needs now...is butt, sweet butt
    :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I swear I have got to stop reading posts while drinking water!!
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Note: I am 5'10.5 and lean body mass for me is 123-128lbs. You may not be exact, but have to be in my neighborhood regarding LBM. Take it that you are 5'11 and 119lbs, you would be at almost 0-5% body fat. To lose more would be, I don't know, possibly unhealthy? Since I know what it is to be tall and I follow many tall girls on Bodybuilder.com, I am aware that girls our height are about 10% BF in the 130+ lbs range, which is very lean for women. They are slightly muscular, therefore, appear smaller, but weigh more, yet are healthy and look amazing. Sound like you should either choose to add lifting heavy to change the shape of your butt, or seek professional advice regarding discovering what is healthy for you and/or body image issues.
  • shexy16
    Options
    :-( I'm not accusing you of having an eating disorder, but if you weigh 119 lbs., you're 5'11...you MAY want to talk to a counselor. I'm guessing you're not seeing your body how it actually looks.
  • JudyCanton
    Options
    Hey, I just started my journey to lose weight about a month and a half ago. I had this problem and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month and 5 more pounds after without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at judycanton@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.