going to in-laws

Options

Replies

• doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Love the two tablespoon idea = an ounce. I can use that!
    I can relate to not being able to take a food scale. In my family, the presence of a food scale would invite questions - unending, personal and very pointed questions with the intention of derailing my weight loss. They all have issues with food and latch on to any reason to tell me that I'm eating too much - while then offering me more food. Its a friggin nightmare. Hopefully yours isn't as stressful!
    Here's a great site I found before I got my food scale.
    blog.photocalorie.com/portion-sizes/
  • alexsondra34
    alexsondra34 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    you are welcome
  • kanikavishvesh
    kanikavishvesh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Love the two tablespoon idea = an ounce. I can use that!
    I can relate to not being able to take a food scale. In my family, the presence of a food scale would invite questions - unending, personal and very pointed questions with the intention of derailing my weight loss. They all have issues with food and latch on to any reason to tell me that I'm eating too much - while then offering me more food. Its a friggin nightmare. Hopefully yours isn't as stressful!
    Here's a great site I found before I got my food scale.
    blog.photocalorie.com/portion-sizes/

same here! :indifferent: and apart from that too much good and not-so-good natured ribbing!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If your in-laws eat heavy, cut the serving size way back. No internet. Would you be able to get to a place with wifi, and you can upload MFP to your smart phone and enter it that way.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    And if you can....and it's acceptable in that household, offer food to the dog.

I know! You're not supposed to give animals people food but my in- laws cook steak and ground beef for their dogs so when they give me a steak the size of my face I just eat what I want and then ask if the dogs want it.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When we go to my in-laws, I might take a little of something I presume might not be that great for me to have and while eating or serving it I might say something like "this looks good, what all did you put in it."
    That way she might be more distracted on thinking the answer rather than seeing what all is going on my plate or in my mouth!
    Then I can come home and enter that on here or for you log it on paper for when youre able to get online :smile:
    It sounds like youre going to be burning calories by keeping busy over there so don't sweat it so much, enjoy your time w/ them!
    BTW...when we go stay w/ extended family 2 states away, when we get there as a way to doing "our" part, we look in their fridge, see what they need and then use that as a reason & time to get their things plus some "extras" that I know we'll enjoy (guilt free)while spending time there :happy:
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My mother in law cooks enough food for an army when my husband and I come to visit, and it is all super tasty and high calories. For whatever reason they don't do leftovers much, so anything we don't eat, gets wasted. I abhor the idea of throwing away food, but I have to let it go. I often compliment her on the delicious food and ask for the recipe ( to enter later) and when I can, offer to help prepare the food. Usually I eat a small portion, (while trying to make it look like more) and either pass or just have a 'taste" of dessert, claiming I couldn't eat another bite. This means I will be hungry again soon, though, so I bring healthy low calorie snacks I can eat in private.

For me sometimes coming home and getting back in to the routine of eating well and working out can be hard after a week 'off''. So no matter what happens while you are gone, be sure to get back on the horse when you get home!
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    If your in-laws eat heavy, cut the serving size way back. No internet. Would you be able to get to a place with wifi, and you can upload MFP to your smart phone and enter it that way.
    Will be trying that.
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    And if you can....and it's acceptable in that household, offer food to the dog.

I know! You're not supposed to give animals people food but my in- laws cook steak and ground beef for their dogs so when they give me a steak the size of my face I just eat what I want and then ask if the dogs want it.

They are great people and wont force me to eat all that often. The problem is all me!!

No animals btw.
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    When we go to my in-laws, I might take a little of something I presume might not be that great for me to have and while eating or serving it I might say something like "this looks good, what all did you put in it."
    That way she might be more distracted on thinking the answer rather than seeing what all is going on my plate or in my mouth!
    Then I can come home and enter that on here or for you log it on paper for when youre able to get online :smile:
    It sounds like youre going to be burning calories by keeping busy over there so don't sweat it so much, enjoy your time w/ them!
    BTW...when we go stay w/ extended family 2 states away, when we get there as a way to doing "our" part, we look in their fridge, see what they need and then use that as a reason & time to get their things plus some "extras" that I know we'll enjoy (guilt free)while spending time there :happy:

:smile:
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    My mother in law cooks enough food for an army when my husband and I come to visit, and it is all super tasty and high calories. For whatever reason they don't do leftovers much, so anything we don't eat, gets wasted. I abhor the idea of throwing away food, but I have to let it go. I often compliment her on the delicious food and ask for the recipe ( to enter later) and when I can, offer to help prepare the food. Usually I eat a small portion, (while trying to make it look like more) and either pass or just have a 'taste" of dessert, claiming I couldn't eat another bite. This means I will be hungry again soon, though, so I bring healthy low calorie snacks I can eat in private.

For me sometimes coming home and getting back in to the routine of eating well and working out can be hard after a week 'off''. So no matter what happens while you are gone, be sure to get back on the horse when you get home!

Good advice!
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    Thanks friends! Will be going this Friday. Wish me luck!
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    You can print this handy guide and put it in your wallet as a reference.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/wallet-portion-control-size-guide

Good luck, and enjoy the visit.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I second all of the advise on here! Small portions, load up on veggies when possible, etc.

I'll throw one more out there: Don't get too worked up over it. If you enjoy your in-laws, then enjoy your visit! Do your best to stay in line, but don't beat yourself up if you don't stay precisely in your calories for the visit. Just try to make up for it when you get back home and into your normal routine.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I've found that travel is really hard because you don't have so much control over what you eat. It's bad enough in restaurants, and worse if you're a houseguest - you simply can't log accurately, and you'll also end up eating "heavier" than you would if you were cooking at home. If they decide to cook the vegetables in a cup of butter or douse everything in a sugary sauce, there's not much you can do about it.

Watch portion sizes of anything that's cooked for you. Skip obvious high-cal stuff like desserts and carby snacks like chips. Snack on fruit or bring your own. Offer to make a big salad for the household with every dinner. Add more exercise if possible to make up for a less than perfect diet.

Even if you missed a week of tracking and went over your goals, it wouldn't make a long-term difference. You just have to commit to coming back to the site when you're back home and getting back on track with your good habits.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Thanks friends! Will be going this Friday. Wish me luck!

Good luck! And have a great trip. Don't forget to update us when you get back - I'd love to hear how it goes.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    If you weigh your food now, then take your scale with you. I do. Who cares if I get looks when I go to my families to eat, the looks are usually greater by "I am proud of you " comments.

I will even take my scale out to eat with me. Imagine me at a steak house weighing me steak before I eat it, then again when done. Yah I am determined to loose it and will do what it takes
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Before we go eat at someones home I get out my serving spoons & measuring cups - I will fill a spoon up with rice or oats or water or whatever I have handy & pour into measuring cups to see how much I am getting from a serving spoon-full. I like to keep my dieting discrete, and this helps me guestimate how much I am having & then I generally log up a bit just in case. You can generally get free wifi from a coffee shop or somewhere close by - enough to log in your food each day as best you can - write down what you eat & then log it later.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    you know what a tablespoon is right? 2 tablespoons = an ounce. 1 ounce = 28.4 grams

be sure to pack a calculator :)

1 ounce of what = 28.4 grams??

Not everything weighs the same, or measures the same.....
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    you know what a tablespoon is right? 2 tablespoons = an ounce. 1 ounce = 28.4 grams

be sure to pack a calculator :)

1 ounce of what = 28.4 grams??

Not everything weighs the same, or measures the same.....

1 oz wt = 28 g
    1 fl oz of water = 28 g of water

So if you know the density of your food, you can convert, however this is why it is generally recommended to weigh solids and measure liquids.

Edited for clarity