17lbs and no one notices?

Options
2»

Replies

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You were not obese to start, so people might not be so quick to comment. That doesn't necessarily mean they didn't notice. People can be really cautious when commenting on somebody's weight. I remember when it became quite apparent I was losing weight, about 30% or people would ask "are you trying to lose weight?". You know just in case I had cancer or something.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Okay, this might seem shallow, but I've lost 17 pounds. I can see it and feel it, but not a soul has said to me, "have you lost weight?" Maybe I'm more invisible than I thought. I don't HAVE TO have that affirmation, but it sure would be nice.

I once made a comment on how wonderful it was for a former neighbor to have lost weight. A couple of month later I found out she had cancer. I will never make a remark about weight loss to anyone again.
    Also depending on how much weight you need to lose, 17 pounds really might not be all that visible to the casual observer, which most people are.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    If I see someone every day, it takes a LOT of weight for me to notice, I'm just not observant (and being too observant about a coworker's body is a one way ticket to HR!).

Do people know that you're dieting/losing weight on purpose? There's always the chance it'll be due to some illness after all, or that the person is one of those offended by talk of "you look great now!" (it does sort of imply that someone didn't look great when they weighed more, after all).

Just went to dinner with 10 other family members that I don't see often, only one noticed my 20+ lb loss. My coworkers, though, knowing that I'm working hard at this, have said nice things a couple of times.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    People won't notice until you lose around 50lbs. 17lbs is a lot and you should be proud but don't look for it in the headlines. :) Keep up the good work!!!
  • caitconquersweight
    Options
    Nobody said anything to me at all until I'd lost 25-30 pounds.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It was 25-30 lb. before the people who see me regularly noticed anything. People who don't see me so often were quicker to notice (after about 15 lb.), because they didn't have a gradual change to mislead them into thinking nothing had happened.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Okay, this might seem shallow, but I've lost 17 pounds. I can see it and feel it, but not a soul has said to me, "have you lost weight?" Maybe I'm more invisible than I thought. I don't HAVE TO have that affirmation, but it sure would be nice.
    I started to have a handful of people notice at 30 lbs..more at 40, I'm now over 50 pounds down and that's when the larger number of people have started to notice.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I usually don't say anything even if I haven't seen the person in a while for fear that they are ill. This started after mentioning it and being told that "cancer is really helping my waistline, but it's not good for much else". People are hesitant unless they know you're trying to lose weight. Best of luck snd keep up the good work.
  • apm88
    apm88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well done! I've heard that it takes 4 weeks for yourself to notice weightloss in yourself, 8 weeks for friends and family, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world! While the time obviously differentiates from person to person to notice progress, stick with it, and everyone else will catch on soon enough:)
  • 4wesome
    4wesome Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In just 6 weeks I've lost 30 pounds, 3 dress sizes at least, 5 inches off my belly, 4 inches off each thigh, and so on. I don't work so the only people I see regularly are at church every week. Not one of them has mentioned the weight loss to me. I have, however, overheard someone mention it in conversation. Also, a couple of people have asked my husband if I had lost weight.

I agree with the others that people are afraid of offending you by either being wrong (like asking when your "baby" is due) or insinuating that you were fat before. If they say you look great now then its like saying you did not look good before. I, as I assume most people losing weight, already know we looked and felt bad before which is why we lost the weight. You're not going to hurt my feelings by complimenting me. The overly sensitive crybabies have caused folks to back off their compliments. They definitely notice though.
  • tayleigh4
    tayleigh4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18.4 pounds and no one had said anything to me either! It really made me feel down. 2 nights ago when I was at work one of my supervisors randomly came up to me and said "So how much weight have you lost? You look GREAT!" and also, I told my other friend how much I lost, and he said "I was going to say you look like you lost weight, but I didn't want to be rude." Honestly, people probably have noticed, but don't want to offend you or anything. Congrats on 17 pounds btw, almost 20! You can do it!! :)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    It's such a sensitive topic though. Do they ask if you've lost weight and risk hurting your feelings by saying you were "fat"before? Do they let it go until the loss is more noticeable? What if it's not on purpose and their is some illness that is being kept a secret?

Don't look for validation in the recognition of others. Be happy for yourself because, ultimately that is who you are losing the weight for. You have lost 17 lbs. Great job! Way to go! Keep up the good work.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    It's such a sensitive topic though. Do they ask if you've lost weight and risk hurting your feelings by saying you were "fat"before? Do they let it go until the loss is more noticeable? What if it's not on purpose and their is some illness that is being kept a secret?

Don't look for validation in the recognition of others. Be happy for yourself because, ultimately that is who you are losing the weight for. You have lost 17 lbs. Great job! Way to go! Keep up the good work.
    This is exactly my view point as well. Reminds me of the other threads we have about all the insensitive comments people receive about their weight and appearance. For those of us who pay attention and care about not offending others, it gets difficult to know what is okay to say and what isn't. Either way, congrats and keep on losing!
  • sks972ca
    Options

You're 17 lbs less visible, does that count as more invisible?

Possibilities based on life experience:
    - Some folks don't comment because they've got their own things going on (maybe they're struggling with failure to lose weight).
    - Some folks don't comment because they don't notice.
    - Some folks don't comment because they think it's rude to comment.
    - Some folks don't comment because they're not sure if it's intentional weight loss and not a medical condition/illness, and don't want to put their foot in it.

I'm doing this for me. If no one comments, that's absolutely fine.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    People who see you every day will have a hard time noticing. Honestly my husband didn't really notice until he grabbed my butt yesterday. I have lost 13lbs, which is a lot for me (I still have more to go though), but I have always been pretty good about hiding weight changes. Hang in there!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I lost more than 70 lbs and very few people actually told me that I have lost weight. Sometimes people avoid the subject because they think they might hurt you some way.
    I mean... I lost 70 lbs... in 2 years, I agree, but people should have noticed.

I personally think that it's better this way than getting into weightloss conversations... they always start debates.
  • Sleaterkitty
    Options
    I empathize. And sometimes it's nice to hear! It's motivation when someone says you look good. I lost over 50lbs and some friends said nothing. I kept thinking: "I lost a toddler... and you don't notice?" But like many people have said, sometimes people don't know how or it may come off as telling you you were so fat before. All that matters is you notice. You're doing great. Keep it up!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Great responses! It looks like I'll just have to wait a few more pounds. Honestly, I don't need to hear it; it just surprises me a little that I haven't. Now I know some of the reasons why. And honestly, I'm not terribly observant myself, so I don't know why expect other people to be.

Someone mentioned noticing muscles....I'm working on that too. It is a lifestyle change after all.