Guys, you're killing me!

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

As an English teacher, I've wrestled with the idea of "correcting" people quite a bit throughout my life. Should we promote more proper grammar and spelling? Sure. Is it worth it if you're making people feel like they can't come here and seek support in losing weight without fear of people ridiculing them for the way they spell something? Probably not.

Well said...now everyone is hyper aware. I personally enjoy dictionary.com.
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    Maybe the person has a learning disability and all you are doing is making fun of them. I'm beginning to remember why I hate posting on community boards.

I visit a LOT of message boards and frankly, way too many people have a problem with basic spelling and grammar skills. They don't all have a learning disability. Perhaps a small percentage do, but the majority were just never taught or didn't spend enough time reading while growing up and don't bother to learn as adults.

Yes you are right not all of them a learning disability but they do have a problem. It's not always a matter of just not bothering to learn as an adult. Even if it is not a disability there is no need to make a post just to make fun of them. If you would not want them to make a post just to make fun of your weight, then why would you make fun of a problem someone else is having.

Thank you.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread.

My BOSS is the worst. She does not know the difference between except and accept, then and than, was and were.
    "We don't except that coupon."
    "Do you have more then you needed?"
    "Was you able to fill that shift?":grumble:

Drives me BONKERS!

And she doesn't believe that "as" is a word. She writes "has" for everything.

"Has of today we aren't doing that no more."
    "Has always, this is our policy.":noway:

and the worst one... she doesn't think there is an R in frustrated. She writes AND speaks "FUStrated":mad:

I have to LISTEN to this woman SPEAK and read her memos EVERY DAY.:explode:

Pity me.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Why, oh why do I keep seeing these horrible threads about pet peeves? Come on, remove the negativity from your lives. Why is it so easy to get mad over something so insignificant?
  • SammyJo82
    Options
    You people are cracking me up! I haven't been on long enough to notice that I guess but I have one that gets me too: yea and yeah are not the same!

What exactly is the difference between yea and yeah?

I've always considered myself a self-elected grammar nazi - but I guess I haven't been patrolling for yea and yeah...
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    You people are cracking me up! I haven't been on long enough to notice that I guess but I have one that gets me too: yea and yeah are not the same!

What exactly is the difference between yea and yeah?

I've always considered myself a self-elected grammar nazi - but I guess I haven't been patrolling for yea and yeah...

They both mean yes, but are pronounced differently.
  • LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I blame texting for the recent increase in poor grammar and spelling.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Why, oh why do I keep seeing these horrible threads about pet peeves? Come on, remove the negativity from your lives. Why is it so easy to get mad over something so insignificant?

human nature? especially this time of year?
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    LOL there are soooo many people on here who want to LOOSE weight.. Great post!! :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I dnot raelly crae aobut sepllnig msiatkes as lnog as I cna udnresatnd waht the psoetr is tyrnig to cnoevy and it mkaes snese to me. It is teh cnoetnt of the psot wihch is ipmrotnat not the seplilng or garmamar...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with the OP more. Poor grammar drives me nuts and while some people may have a learning disability, I think the vast majority just honestly don't know any better. I would never make fun of anyone for that but I don't think there is anything wrong with correcting them and helping them learn the proper grammar.

That being said, one of my biggest pet peeves is people who put an apostrophe on something that is plural, not possessive:

guys - more than one guy
    guy's - one guy who owns something

I see that error in ads and articles all the time. I just shake my head.

Guys' would be more than one guy who owns something. An example would be:

The guys' house was declared a total loss after the fire.

That would be correct if there were two or more guys that shared ownership of the house.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I dnot raelly crae aobut sepllnig msiatkes as lnog as I cna udnresatnd waht the psoetr is tyrnig to cnoevy and it mkaes snese to me. It is teh cnoetnt of the psot wihch is ipmrotnat not the seplilng or garmamar...

I :heart: how I can read that with no problem. The human brain is an amazing thing.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Thank you for posting.... simple spelling errors kill me. You should see some of the tickets our reps send to our dispatchers at work. I think they have their own language sometimes. My favorite is "comprend" somewhere between comprehend and comprende' (<----not sure of the spelling on that one my Spanish is rusty)

Ha Ha! Love it!

How about one of my professors writing on my paper that I "need to improve my grammer".....needless to say, I wasn't to thrilled......

(just checking if the grammar police were paying attention ;) .... did you see it? :) )

I did. Should be "grammar" instead of "grammer" and "too" instead of "to". :bigsmile:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Wat I hate more is da texting speak used on dis or any other site. U know?

I'll take spelling mistakes and grammar issues any day of the week over the above.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!

My name is Tara and I am totally the first person to admit that I am NOT the best at spelling, grammar or the English Language!

*Everyone says HI TARA!*

When I first read the initial post I laughed, or lol'd...if we are going to go with texting lingo. Lose VS Loose, Ha ha! Then as I read on and saw all of the mixed reactions with all of the different replies, I fell silent. While I understand "Pet Peeves" and the like, this really hit home for me. There are times when I'm writing or even speaking that I can get incredibly irritated with myself because my brain just doesn't think of what I'm asking it to think of fast enough. Mind you, I have had several strokes. I know this plays a part (I literally just wrote "Place a part" instead of "Plays a part." My brain does NOT function correctly, lol!) in the stuttering or using words correctly or remembering things. I recognize that you all said that your frustration comes into play with more of an "ignorance" of a grammar error because of upbringing or perhaps not caring to phrase things correctly. Either these people are too pompous or actually illiterate to realize what they are doing, but do they deserve our scorn?

Regardless of whether they don't want to do it, they weren't raised to do it, or they have a medical reason for not doing it, its more a reason to feel sorry and move on. Not an opportunity to bring it to light. The same idea that someone HAS to WANT to "lose" weight in order to actually DO IT. You can't tell point a finger at an overweight person, tell them they are overweight, all with the hopes they will change their lifestyle and start eating healthy. They have to want it. And if someone were to tell me on a public website that I was writing incorrectly, I would feel attacked: Not helped. Maybe one day they will realize when they go for a job that this is something they need to improve on. But honestly? We just come across as the pompous ones, holier then thou, ready to correct them at the drop of a dime without ever having met them.

I say all of this from the bottom of my heart and without any anger towards anyone on here! No one said anything incredibly inappropriate! I just know how incredibly frustrating it is to be thinking one word and have my fingers type something totally different. Have to reread everything a million times. And I was blessed with an amazing education, just bombarded with strokes at a young age. Others may not have gotten my education. Others may be lazy...who knows?? Just sharing. :o)
  • mommared53
    Options
    Don't get upset because someone started this thread - it's not as if they started a thread about a specific person to make fun of them. If it hurts one's feelings to have someone point out his or her mistakes in general (without even specifying the person) then the problem is with that person.
    For the record I don't think in my head "oh what an idiot, etc etc". Not at all. It just makes me angry that parents/teachers/society have failed children and young adults to the point where many can hardly put a coherent sentence together. Of course personal responsibility comes into this too.. after a certain age, if someone notices that they are making common and embarrassing grammar/spelling mistakes, he or she should take it upon themselves to improve in that area (barring the 0.1% that have suffered a brain injury).

I completely agree. People should grow up and stop being so sensitive for crying out loud. So someone corrected you. Well cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it! I've been corrected before on my grammar, it's no big deal. Learn from it, correct yourself and move on.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Pobody's Nerfect ;)
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Too funny!!!
    I actually love the image of loose weight, very graphic.

And as for spelling, all I can say is dyslexics of the word "Untie"!! I let spell check do the worrying for me, it no see a problem, I no see a problem.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    My favourite saying.

Punctuation Saves Lives!

Let's eat Grandma.

Let's eat, Grandma.

do you want to eat Grandma, or do you want to eat with her?
  • mommared53
    Options

Amazingly, it wasn't difficult to read that. :bigsmile: