Does one need extra sleep after a long run?

Options
Hi all,

I've been running for a while now, usually about 3-5 miles (I've done one 10k and several 5ks). Now I am training for a ten miler and a half marathon! So I've been going on longer runs than normal, and it's been fine. But last night I ran 7 miles for the first time. Then I got about 8.5 hours of sleep (which is more than usual - I generally get about 7-8 hours) but I'm absolutely exhausted today. I could barely get out of bed this morning, and now I've been up for a few hours and I'm just so tired. I don't know how I'm going to get through the rest of the day.

Is it normal to need more sleep after a long run? If so, how much extra do you guys try to get? I'm assuming it's from the run; a lot of my friends have been sick lately, so I'm hoping it's not that. Any runner's tips would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Replies

• lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I usually need a nap on my long run days. Either that, or I go to bed early that night. I think it's normal! Make sure you eat enough and are well-hydrated too.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I usually need a little more sleep after my long runs...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Yep a nice nap works for me as well... Also make sure you are fueling for the effort. Poor nutrition can easily lead to exhaustion.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Same boat!! I'm training for my first half and I ran a 9 mile long run on Saturday. I was completely wiped afterwards and tried to take a nap but I think it was just too bright in my room to fall asleep. I basically zombied my way through the day and went to bed super early and slept in yesterday. I got about 10 hours of sleep and finally felt rested.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Did my long run yesterday (16km), went to bed early and got about 9 hours. Still exhausted though.

My bigger issue is being ravenous the next day.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I almost always take a nap on my long run days. I usually cannot stay awake!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    After 3 years of running, including 3 marathons and 11 half marathons, I generally need 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep. After a long training run, it'll be closer to 7.5. After an event where I push for a PR, I'll sleep 8, sometimes 8.5.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Long run day = nap day for me (training for my first full marathon) :yawn:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! Unfortuantely naps are not something I have time for right now - stupid law school - but I'll try to start going to bed earlier on long run nights.

Also, nutrition probably is a factor. I made another post recently about how I know I've been undereating lately due to stress. I'm going to have to really focus on eating more and getting enough nutrients, especially while training!
  • bairborne
    bairborne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It will take your body some time to get use to the extra miles. But stay with it, there is nothing better then the first finish of a half marathon. I started 2 years ago only being able to run 3 miles and now have 25 races in. It takes support to encourage you on to success!!!! Your body will tell you how much sleep you need, go with it. Nutrition, the right shoes are very important to...You will succeed:smooched: :wink:
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One does indeed, and thank you for phrasing the question elegantly!

Yeah...especially on the long run days (10 mile / 16km +). However your body does adjust over time, and as your miles / kms increase, you'll find you get less tired.

Race day is another matter! You will be really, really tired afterwards, and an afternoon nap is quite acceptable!