Anyone doing the Low carb/ High fat & protien "diet"?

124»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Would you consider doing something for a year straight is a fad? September 29 will be one year that I have been low carb. It is very sustainable for me and I have lost 110 pounds and have gotten all my health issues under control! At 35 I am healthier than ever!

Also, I have been working out since July.. I lift heavy (for me) and I run.. I don't up my carbs for either. .

This works for ME.. Not saying it does or would for everyone..
    Congrats! I see you're at goal! Great job finding what works for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I had recently tried this diet, I lost 3 Kgs in a first week (As per the atkins.com, most of that weight was water retention). Next week, I couldn't kept the patience and ate the carbs, that broke the ketosis. It is very strict diet, no matter how determined you are, you will cheat in carbs. And then you will have to wait for a few days to get back in ketosis state.

So, I would recommend if you can live on exactly 20-22 carbs a day till you reach your goal, you are good to try atkins. Otherwise follow a simple calories in and calories out formula which is recommended by everyone.

Hope you're having better luck with whatever diet you're doing now.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Thank you! My first goal was to lose 80 pounds.. got there and upped it to 100.. I have now lost 110 and am upping it 10 more! This is definitely for me!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Thank you! My first goal was to lose 80 pounds.. got there and upped it to 100.. I have now lost 110 and am upping it 10 more! This is definitely for me!
    :drinker:
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    No thanks, doesn't work and isn't healthy. If your diet has a name, it's a fad and it sucks. If it restricts certain food groups or tells you not to exercise, no thanks.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    I mean if you know how to eat right or well balanced or maybe you've plateau then yeah....I am starting it tomorrow but im going to keep my carbs 50-100
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    I'm eating LCHF right now and it has helped me lose 17llbs. I stay under 40g of carbs and I don't really care about my calories as long as I'm under 2,500. Yes, you can eat heavy cream, cream cheese, salami, butter, coconut oil/butter and still lose weight. I felt weird when I first started shopping and eating this way, but now I don't even blink an eye. It's delish! :drinker:
  • mcpostelle
    No thanks, doesn't work and isn't healthy. If your diet has a name, it's a fad and it sucks. If it restricts certain food groups or tells you not to exercise, no thanks.

It is healthy. Please do a little more research before you post. You have two energy sources, mainly, to burn. One, is glycogen, and the other is ketones. If I eat HCLF then I will burn glycogen, but if I eat LCHF then I will burn ketones. Ketones is what is used in LCHF and you will have no problems. The ONLY reason why it restricts foods is because they are high carb content. Otherwise, eat as much as you want (within or not within your calorie range) and you'll lose weight.

Fat contains about twice as much of potential energy as carbs or proteins leading you to eat less, feel fuller, and burn fat more adequately. And you can most definitely exercise. I know a lot of people that do LCHF that work out and feel amazing including myself!!! :wink:
  • mcpostelle
    Nope because it doesn't pay off in the long run-- it will eventually trash your heart and arteries.

Give me the science to back that up. Otherwise, I completely disagree with you. Eating LCHF will not "trash your heart and arteries". If you can give me science, I'll give it right back at you. On a more personal note, my mother has done LCHF since the 1980's and is in way better health than my father who is HCLF and he works out a lot more than her (not because she can't but because she doesn't like to sweat). She looks to be in her 30's not late 50's.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Agree! ^^ especially if you have alot of fat stored.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Who said everyone that eats low carb doesn't exercise? I have exercised since the beginning and since July have been heavy lifting 6 days a week and for the past month running and lifting 6 days a week!
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Who said everyone that eats low carb doesn't exercise? I have exercised since the beginning and since July have been heavy lifting 6 days a week and for the past month running and lifting 6 days a week!

Nobody said that.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    A typical banana has like 29 carbs ..

Go on YouTube and see about the girl that ate 51 banana's at once .. guess what, she is super fit and strong. Oh and skinny too.

And she does it all the time.

Do the math .. that should make the low carb people have a coronary just looking at that number.

The whole low carb thing is just a stupid *** idea someone cooked up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbs.

I would be more worried about all the unhealthy low carb foods that you are forced to eat when trying to avoid carbs and what they will do to your body over time.

first of all, i totally agree with you as far as the low carb foods that are pre-packaged. i am replacing carbs with healthy alternatives.

second, i do not know why people have to call what someone else does a "stupid @ss idea"
    my daughter is gluten intolerant, so she naturally eats fewer carbs because of this. i have a mental health issue, so carbs ARE bad for me. there IS something wrong with carbs FOR ME. i do eat carbs, i just do not chow down on 1000g/carbs per day like i used to. i eat HEALTHY carbs which are good for me.

and by the way, eating 51 bananas isn't healthy either. and people have died from drinking too much water. don't say what we are doing is stupid and then site an example of someone else doing something stupid.

:laugh: :laugh: