Embarrassed to be seen running!

Options
Hello,

I have just started the c25k and I know I shouldn't care what other people think but my biggest challenge seems to be getting over the embarrassment of running past people, especially other runners who are fit and slim. I am very overweight and unfit :(

I know I should focus on the positive (that I'm trying to change) and not care about others thoughts.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Just looking for a little encouragement :)

Replies

• rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I feel like it all the time. I started running at night to try and get started, but eventually gave up. I am less self concious in the gym.
  • K1tt
    K1tt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What is the worst thing that could happen whilst your out running? At most someone could say something uncomplimentary and that's a reflection on them not you.

Imagine the different situations, work out your response and run with your head held high. You're doing a great thing, do not worry about anyone else!
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chances are, those runners think what you're doing is awesome! When I first started running, I had an 80 year old man blaze past me on the trail. At first I was kinda butthurt, but he turned around and gave me a thumbs up and I felt really encouraged to keep going. Just keep on keeping on!! And good luck with your running, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    PLEASE go do a search on "fatty running on the Westview track". I re-read it EVERY time I go work out in public.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    the embarrassment of running past people, especially other runners who are fit and slim.

Don't worry, they'll probably run past you!;)

(Sorry.) Seriously, though, don't worry about it at all. When I'm out running and I see a beginner runner, especially one who is a bit overweight, I'm impressed and know that person is working harder than I am. Hope that doesn't sound patronising. And I doubt if most non-runners even look at people running or notice. And if they do - well, you're running and they're not.

Take the run sections really slowly at first; you'll find them easier to complete and it'll help you build up to longer intervals.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Remember that most people are too busy worrying about themselves to notice you. Those who do notice you are most likely thinking 'good for you'.

Those 'fit and slim' runners you see had to start somewhere and if you keep going you could soon be one of them. Keep going, it'll be worth it. And in the meantime crank up the music and go for it and don't worry about anyone else. :flowerforyou:
  • jodielawson82
    Options
    I tried running but because I'm fat the embarrassment was emotionally crippling. Used to stop everytime I could hear a car coming up behind me, ran at night and sometimes even drove to where I thought no one could see me. In the end I gave it up as a bad job til I have more confidence xx
  • steelinquisitor
    Options
    Oh yes I feel like that all the time. I also feel like if I am walking people are thinking that guy needs to be running. Double whammy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one cares.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    PLEASE go do a search on "fatty running on the Westview track". I re-read it EVERY time I go work out in public.

6jEWN.png
  • ColleenMachine
    Options
    Good for you, 4stone! I'm doing C25K myself, and it's super duper intimidating. This is what I've found.

Clothes can help make you or break you. Clothes that fit well, that don't cling to the lumps and bulges that you'd rather hide, that make you feel svelte and ready to climb a mountain. I know the gym is not a fashion show, but all that means to me is that other people are missing out on my awesome workout attire. I know that the temptation is to say to yourself "I don't want to get new clothes until I've lost some weight", and it's hard to get over that. But you're unlikely to lose the weight if you never go, and you're unlikely to go if you feel bad.

Please also do your poor knees a favor and invest in some good running shoes if you haven't already. Make sure that you think they look dynamite, too. Belieeeeeve me, it makes a difference.

Good luck. :)
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wheeze and wobble my way around the park without caring......also do the C25k...
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I started running outside at 242 lbs. I think it's sad that you would allow what someone might think of you to hinder your exercise goals. Get out and run. Oh and just an fyi I had a child tell me in front of about 10 strangers how fat I was. I was also told while waiting for an elevator that I was super fat by a drunk man. Got some stares aand not so nice things said whilst out running but guess what? It didn't stop me and I'm a healthy weight and I ran 10.5 miles today and only stopped cause I got thirsty.
  • GrandeHombre
    GrandeHombre Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first read your post I thought you were embarrassed of people passing you. Then I re-read it and it sounds like you are afraid of passing others in the sense you are embarrassed to be seen by others. Either way you need to ask yourself why you are here. Are you here to get healthy and lose weight for those people that you don't know or are you here for yourself and your friends and family that care about you? Hopefully you said B. See if you can find someone that will do it with you and you can help motivate each other. Even if they are more fit than you they can still help motivate and encourage you. Have you had a bad experience in the past or are you just self conscious? Put some tunes on and crank it up and block the world out if you have to, just don't run in traffic. Soon you will be the fit and in shape person that others are worried about. Be proud of who you are and what you are working to become.
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am in awe of bigger people I see running! I walk daily in the cemetery across the road from my home (it's a large, tree-filled, historic, and very hilly place with lots of roads, so it's great for walking). I fear running but have done the first day of c25k just this week. What inspired me to give it a go was a quite large woman and a very large man I often see jogging (not together). Seriously I am in awe of them.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welllll, if it's any consolation - I live on a very small island with very steep, very narrow roads. We have no pavements so I have to run (read: flap, waddle, jiggle, puff and pant) right there in the road and people have to swerve round me. We also have a custom to wave at EVERYONE that passes, which I love when I am driving, not so much when I'm concentrating on just getting enough breath in my body, nevermind having the energy to raise my hand and find a smile.... Everyone that passes me knows me, if not in person then almost certainly by sight... and running isn't really "in" here so everyone finds it simply HILARIOUS to watch the sweaty, beetroot coloured expat flapping down the road!

Now THAT's embarrassing, at least most of the people you see, you will not be buying your veg's next to the following day!! :blushing:
  • Aton17
    Options
    Do not worry. Running has a big advantage on all sports: it is inherent to the human being and if one practice it regularly, it is a source of great satisfaction.
    The improvements are achieved quickly, very quickly! Who sees you will be cheering for you!

I do not like to run "lonely and not seen", this depresses me. I need someone to see me!
    Be patient, the world is diverse!
  • avsie2014
    avsie2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Even after losing a big about of weight, I still feel like "the fat girl running". I can't help it. I'm comparing myself to all those other gazelles I cross, who clearly run faster and look thinner than me. But then I remember where I come from, how I improved my health and my fitness level... and I feel much better.

Throughout the years, I didn't get that many nasty comments when running outside. One time, a little boy (who was clearly obese himself) asked me he I was running to lose weight because I was fat. I brushed it off and kept running. And another time, it was a bunch of teenagers hanging out outside a snack bar, greasy fries and burgers in hand, who burst out laughing and pointed at me when I passed next to them. I also just brushed it off and kept running. Why? Because in both cases, I was the one doing something good for my health, while they weren't. The teens might be skinny now, but I'd love to see them 20 years from now if they keep the bad habits. That little boy? He was probably projecting his own insecurities on me.

Just do what's good for you. If you enjoy running, keep running! Never mind anyone else...
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it. 2 years ago I was you and now Im slim and fit. When I see an overweight runner, I just think they are doing awesome by getting out there and trying. Then I go back to worrying about what Im doing. Dont be embarrassed, but there will always be people that yell from cars - Flip them the bird and keep running!
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I started out worrying about running in public, people may say things, people may look... But more often than not people don't notice me, I am just another crazy person running for no reason to the people who would make a rude comment....the other runners I have encountered from the first day of running have been supportive, nice and a great group of people.... Hold your head high and know that you are busting your butt and are just another runner out there in the wind doing it for yourself!!!! Enjoy it And enjoy seeing the changes in your body and confidence!!!! ????