What to drink for breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• thevaporz
    Options
    not the most exciting answer but........coffee and/or water. drinking juices or other stuff with a lot of flavors, regardless of sugar free or not, just seems to make me crave other stuff like sodas. plus you got to have your water through out the day anyway, right? :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

My friend is a trainer and she told me that breakfast needs to be my main meal of the day especially since I work out in the mornings so I don't want to replace it with a quick smoothie.

Thanks!

I don't eat breakfast.
    The first meal of the day for me, is post workout.

for some people this doesn't work. For me, I have to eat before I work out, or I run out of gas and can't complete the workout.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with water :) It's pretty much the only thing I drink besides green tea.

Also, I know your friend means well - but the way you distribute your calories throughout the day has no effect on your weight loss. You could break your calorie allotment into 5 small meals throughout the day or you could have all of your calories in one giant meal. Your body doesn't care when you eat your calories for the most part (I say for the most part because I think once you get into serious weight lifting and running marathons then the timing of when your body gets certain nutrients becomes important.)

So don't think you need to cram a ton of food into your morning meal if you don't want to :smile:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

My friend is a trainer and she told me that breakfast needs to be my main meal of the day especially since I work out in the mornings so I don't want to replace it with a quick smoothie.

Thanks!

I don't eat breakfast.
    The first meal of the day for me, is post workout.

for some people this doesn't work. For me, I have to eat before I work out, or I run out of gas and can't complete the workout.

Yep...
    Just pointing out that if the OP wishes, she could just workout and not eat.....
    The trainer is not correct....
    my only point. :wink:
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I drink water or diet coke.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Water or coffee is what I drink in the morning and I don't eat breakfast about 95% of time time, even when I do workout (walking or bodyweight circuit training) in the am.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I drink way more water than should be healthy, plus some coffee.

I actually am starting to really enjoy drinking my breakfast. Obnoxiously, I'll post my two favorite recipes. Throw everything in a blender and turn it on.

Choco-nanner-PB:

Chocolate whey protein
    one banana
    1 tbsp flax seed
    dash vanilla extract
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    ice to taste

Fruity vanilla goodness:

1 C raw spinach
    1 C frozen mixed berries
    1/4-1/2 C raw oats
    1 tbsp flax seed
    vanilla whey protein
    ETA: 1/2 C nonfat, plain yogurt

These guys are tasty, filling as hell, and chock full of goodies your body craves, like electrolytes. I think these are typically used post-workout, but I like 'em anytime as a meal.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Coffee......
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Water is best!! Once in a while, I squeeze me some oranges and have OJ. Daily, though, it's water.

Don't take health advice from Personal Trainers. If you want to follow their exercise program (assuming your doctor has cleared you for it), that's wonderful. But that is where it should end. Health and nutrition advice should come from doctors and dietitians.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Water or coffee. I try not to drink my calories, I prefer to eat them. But that's just my preference.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Tibetan style butter tea.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have Kool-aid made with Splenda. All of the flavor, none of the calories.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I drink ice water with breakfast every morning, and then when I get to work, I have a 12 oz coffee.
  • griffonholly
    griffonholly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I'm new with asking questions so I didn't know where to find this topic again.

Water is an option. I just drink a LOT of it all day long and I don't drink sodas anymore so I just replaced everything with water. However in the mornings I like something with a little flavor and the sweetness of the juice doesn't make me crave anything later on. It's not that water isn't an option, I just would prefer something with flavor before I drown my body in tasteless water throughout the rest of the day.

I have to try the almond milk. I didn't realize it was a thing until someone else started recommending it as well and now that I found it in the store, I'll try it. Same for the green tea... I knew that existed but I never tried it yet.

And lastly, I have always ALWAYS hated breakfast. I have never been hungry when I first get up but if I workout without it, I feel terribly sick and nauseous, my performance goes downhill REAL FAST so I realized I needed to eat, give it about an hour to kick in so I don't cramp up and then I can go to town feeling totally energized with more energy than I know what to do with. Now I find after eating a good breakfast before a workout, I have a small lunch and smaller dinner and I'm not starving for these huge portions anymore plus I'm now looking for breakfast when I get up.

Thank you guys!