Headache after exercising

Options
2»

Replies

• rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar problem with running! Anytime I run more than a couple miles, I end up spending the rest of the day with a headache. I hate having to take analgesics after every workout! Further, ibuprofen works best for me, but I am a professional singer, and ibuprofen is a no-no when doing lots of singing because it makes you more prone to hemorrhage. Like you, I drink ample water, so I don't think that's the problem. I wonder if I am just overheated, or the dilated blood vessels are triggering it, but either way, it surely doesn't encourage one to run if you are then worthless for the rest of the day.

Some suggestions about which I've been reading via googling:
    1. Sodium. Some have indicated that lack of sodium could trigger this, so one idea I have is to drink a small gatorade after the run to replenish.
    2. Overheating. Some friends recommended freezing a damp handkerchief and wearing it around my neck to stay cool during runs, and also running in the morning before it's too warm, which I already do to avoid heat, because I get heat-triggered migraines anyway.

I'll let you know how changes go for me!

Having a gatorade (split before and after) hot and longer runs has been great. I haven't had a headache since. I never felt like I was a hardcore enough athlete to require it...I'm just jogging right? But it's done the trick! Such a simple fix!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    On especially demanding cardio I drink a cup of green tea with a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of honey and a squeeze of a lemon. You can use sugar, but the honey-lemon combination tastes really nice.
  • jessicaayon14
    Options
    I worked our last night and this morning have a throbbing headache, seems like I get a head ache every Monday. Usually I work out 4 days a week, but i think I am adding Friday and Saturday this week.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I would have this happen after particularly grueling spinning sessions. It wasn't simply dehydration because I always drank a lot during class (40-60 oz for an hour class!). I found that having a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade helped me immensely.