Is it just me????

Options
Is it just me or has common sense pretty much deserted MFP? I have only been here since February so this may be a phase, you long timers can let me know. It seems that lately there have been so many threads about so many extreme ways of eating for so many spurious reasons. Water only fasting, cutting out entire food categories, inventing human history (or at least rewriting it), inventing a new name for what we used to call "eating right" (eating a well balanced diet primarily made up of the freshest, most nutrient dense foods available) and arguing over what it actually means, and on and on.

I guess it is just human nature to need a list of "do's" and "don'ts" to tell us how to get to our goals rather than figure out how to eat right for ourselves.

Sorry for the rant, I just have been a bit frustrated lately, and not with my weight loss efforts which are going along swimmingly by "eating right" and moving more.

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    sadly, this is something that has gone on as long as I've been on here June 2011 and probably, if I had to guess, much longer than that, even. There are people who are willing to try almost anything for a quick fix. You just have to pay those threads no mind and keep doing what you're doing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not a new thing. It's been here since I've been here and before. It is the way of the world. Do not try to understand it. Do not let it affect your reasons for being here. The only advice I usually give here is to keep it simple.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You are surprised at the idiot posts on an internet forum?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    There are so many threads on MFP to ignore,doesn't leave a lot of info.JMO
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Well, I did learn how to make a mean turkey sandwich today so....there's that.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a long timer....logged over 830 days in a row, years of this now. I used to spend some time on the forums, etc. and every once in a while something catches my eye, like your thread here. Folks have always been extreme; you have to filter through it all and find what you can use and apply it to your situation. You can't get wrapped up in what others think/say or it defeats the purpose. I use this site mainly to track my food and exercise to keep on track. Do what works for you!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.
    +1
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

I'm going to start making popcorn now :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....
    Also depends on the threads and the OP.

I have been asked to leave a few threads by the OP.......

So not much you can do about that......
    also not saying that my common sense is all that great either. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

I'm going to start making popcorn now :)

Need help MB? With how fast this year has gone, we may not have enough time to make popcorn for everyone!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Start stocking up on gifs now. The longer you're on the forums, the more you'll stop posting helpful,useful info and just throw out cat gifs.

tumblr_mtsxy6YGTp1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot worse on other sites, especially when they all seem to be in agreement with their odd and sometimes unhealthy ideas. At least here there are enough people that have been around for awhile with common sense advice.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it, I just don't care all that much.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think that common sense is going the way of the Dodo bird, sadly. No one wants to take a long time losing the weight it took a long time to gain, so they are all looking for a quick fix. It doesn't work that way.

Just keep doing what you are doing, ignore the ignorant posts on here, and you'll be successful and happier. I've been a member of this site for well over 840 days now, and I mostly ignore the forums except for the ones in which I'm a member. At least that way the ignorant folks can be weeded out.

Best of luck to you as you continue your healthy lifestyle!
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I ignore most of those things. Been around the block a few times and have always had the attitude eat right and healthy and exercise and make it a part of your life and it works. Never been into "diets" I kinda just ignore all the rest. I don't bother replying as I like to encourage but am not pushy at all. And I love all the water exercise you do,, and keep saying I have to start that :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I must have been filtering more when I first started because I don't remember so many of the elimination and goofy diet threads. Time to turn those filters back on and remember that my job is to get myself healthy, not to correct every ill conceived diet idea out there.

Wait until January, huh? Sounds like it should be fun.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Step 1: Get a mean turkey...
    :wink:
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

LoL, I started in January and most of the friends I made then are long gone :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

That recipe changed my life.