Unsolicited (but much appreciated!) Compliments

Options
2»

Replies

• janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes! One random guy asked me if I was a professional dancer because of my Legs!! That was nice. don't know for sure if he was being a perv, but hey, I'll take it.
  • petergennery
    petergennery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

This is my first post on MFP so please, be gentle :)

Way back in June of this year I started on a low-carb way of eating, not essentially Atkins, just low carb. I already did quite alot of exercise but I wasnt getting any results so it had to be my nutrition. My starting weight? 266lb.

Anyway, I've been super strict on my nutrition and regular weight lifting / spinning / insanity sessions over the past couple of months, usually racking up 5 - 6 workouts per week. My current weight is around 208lb and 18% body fat.

Anyway, the point of this post? since losing weight my jacket has dropped 3 sizes, and my waist has shrunk 5 inches meaning I needed to buy a new suit at the weekend. During the purchase the sales guy commented that he wished he had my build to pull of this type of tailored suit.

Was rather unexpected to say the least, but a good feeling none the less.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Compliments from strangers are the best! They're honest and truthful because they don't have any reason to try to boost your day other than just a genuine appreciation for what they see. Congratulations on making an impression on a stranger.

I've had a couple instances that have shocked me into a smile. I started running a while ago with a goal of running a full mile without stopping, couldn't even do that in high school so it was a really big deal to me. I started out just jogging between telephone poles and it took a long time to run in public so when my neighbors started clapping as I ran by I thought they were crazy and honestly a part of me thought sarcasm until the neighborhood grump actually smiled at me running by, a few days later he said you know you're making amazing changes and should be proud of yourself, keep on going because YOU deserve it. Another moment was the day I ran further than ever before, new roads and they were very hilly and just when I was about to quit and walk an old man called from his porch while patting his old dog how impressive I was out there running in that heat, that kept me going and each day I drive by his house I smile at the memory. I hope these people who provide random compliments know how very much they are appreciated and remembered.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So great of that woman to take the time to pay you a compliment in person. And you know what, she is the one who spoke to you but I have to believe that there are many others who have seen you and had many positive thoughts toward you as well. I'm sure you have been an encouragement to many in your own fitness quest! Yay you!
  • redslog
    Options
    I love that!!! I started today, hope some stranger will stop me in my tracks to say the same. Way to go!!! This post just inspired me, JOB WELL DONE!!!
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Thanks for reminding us that there are still nice people out there.
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And I really like that you decided to pay it forward with compliments. You will make someone else's day just as great as yours. That is cool.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You ARE awesome and I'm so glad you're on my FL!
  • JAROQUANDO
    JAROQUANDO Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you and the lady. Never underestimate the positive differences we can make each day with seemingly small gestures.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hate compliments from strangers. They're always men and always creepy. I've had car horns from them, whistling from construction workers (its prob the norm for them) and being called a MILF. Also had someone try pick me up at the gym several times despite me saying no. I don't go to a gym anymore. Rather exercise at home.
  • Sukebind15
    Sukebind15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When men are just being rude or disrespectful, I don't count that as a 'compliment'. I have even been spat at from a car of drunken idiots while I was running. For a while I even joined a gym just to use the treadmill there because I wanted to avoid such behaviour but it was costing me a small fortune for something I could do for free! Also, a trainer at my gym left a treadmill running while he was giving a personal training session but didn't mark it properly so I stepped onto it, not realising it was on (in my defence it was going so fast it didn't look like it was moving and the gym was noisy so I didn't hear it) and got thrown onto the floor. So embarrassing. I limped through my run but that kind of decided it for me... I left the gym and reclaimed the streets! I haven't had any compliments yet but you never know...
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hate compliments from strangers. They're always men and always creepy. I've had car horns from them, whistling from construction workers (its prob the norm for them) and being called a MILF. Also had someone try pick me up at the gym several times despite me saying no. I don't go to a gym anymore. Rather exercise at home.

I think this might be in the way you take it too. I mean, I'm pretty sure most moms would kill to be called a MILF. It means your body is hot after shoving a baby out of it, which is really quite an accomplishment. And as far as the whistles go, whistle while you work, baby! If someone thinks that I'm good looking enough that they need to vocalize it to the world, then by all means, please do!

Then again, I give random people compliments all the time. If I see a person that I think is beautiful, I'll let them know. Everyone deserves to be told that they're beautiful at least once a day.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love this not just the fact that the lady noticed Your hard work ( so many people are so engrossed in there own lives they don't notice other people) but the fact that you decided to spread the love by complimenting someone. If everyone did this so many people would be a lot happier.
    Any way I have one of my own. A few weeks ago i was in a trying on a dress in one of my favorite stores I was stood outside my cubical looking in the full length mirror doing my usual not so complimentary judging on how it looked when a random lady says "you should buy that your legs look great" It made my day (and yes i did get the dress)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to get such a compliment. And congratulations on your hard work and lifestyle change. Great job!
  • chelle5555
    chelle5555 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    To the OP – a great story – I bet it made you feel great. I bet it STILL makes you feel great even almost a month later!

To @MyChocolate Diet - YOUR story was great too. I was on the edge of my seat, scrolling to the end, (oh, no!) and then it made me smile. Thanks for great breakfast entertainment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!