Is it just me????

Options

Replies

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It's not just you! MFP has become such a whiney, look at me, trolling, and absolute nonsense place, that I rarely venture outside my group of friends. Add that to a food database that is beyond inaccurate and repetitive to the point you can't find correct entries and sometimes I wonder why I'm still here.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Well, I did learn how to make a mean turkey sandwich today so....there's that.

(busted out laughing)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For people 'cutting out entire food groups,' some people need to. No one cuts them out completely. I--and many other Americans--have medical conditions that alter the way we can process and use carbohydrates. Don't pass judgment just because you think something sounds hokey. Do some research and then form an opinion. For folks like me who have metabolic challenges, cutting out grains, sugars and starches is an absolute necessity. Not disagreeing with your other points-- just remember that cutting out a food group is certainly no 'quick fix.' For many people with insulin resistance, PCOS, prediabetes, diabetes, etc., it is a necessity. ;)

I realize that this post wasn't really about THAT, but I just wanted to clarify in case you'd lumped us keto/low carb folks into your "crazy whacko" category. LOL. You're on point with everything else. LOL
  • ValGogo
    Options
    sometimes I wonder why I'm still here.

Cuz you're not all there. :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I really, truly believe that all those supermarket rag magazines have the youth of today totally washed about what's real and what's not. Like "such and such has a baby and in a week is fit and trim." Or "so and so lost 40lbs on this miraculous method."

They don't realize these pepole have hours and hours to train and work out and get money incentives to be a Jenny Craig member, and have special trainiers and chefs at their disposal (I'm looking at YOU Gwyneth Paltrow.)

Unless it's Kirstie Alley. I love her but she is hopeless.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well OP I'm not too sure since I myself have not been apart of this site for too long but, I have seen some of these posts you've mentioned particularly the water only fasting post. It seems to me that some of these posts are created by people fairly new to this site (not to say crazy posts are created by newbies alone). When I first came to this site I knew next to nothing about nutrition and I'm sure its the same for said people. Unfortunately weight loss is something that has seemed like a fantasy almost as much as developing super powers or becoming famous and with that in mind people advertise weight loss products, pills, and diets that claim to be working miracles but are all in all extremely unhealthy and so I think that's why you see a lot of new people approach weight loss with crazy diets and unreal expectations.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im looking forward to all the new year new me stuff we are gonna get in January that always cracks me up!!
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP, I've found dieting (either to gain or lose) is very much like religion in that people think their way is the right way and everyone else is wrong. It's unmotivating and unsupportive and downright sad.....everyone's goal on this site is the same: to feel and be a healthier person. I say do whatever works for you and don't worry about other people's methods.

So, yeah.....ignore the crazies and focus on yourself and your supportive followers. :smile:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Okay, I started in August... What happens in January?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm on the tapeworm diet!! So who's with me?
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Okay, I started in August... What happens in January?

new people who join for new years resolutions
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    LOL, this is a diet site, you are gonna have your weirdo's. Just shrug, and keep up your good work.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    For people 'cutting out entire food groups,' some people need to. No one cuts them out completely. I--and many other Americans--have medical conditions that alter the way we can process and use carbohydrates. Don't pass judgment just because you think something sounds hokey. Do some research and then form an opinion. For folks like me who have metabolic challenges, cutting out grains, sugars and starches is an absolute necessity. Not disagreeing with your other points-- just remember that cutting out a food group is certainly no 'quick fix.' For many people with insulin resistance, PCOS, prediabetes, diabetes, etc., it is a necessity. ;)

I realize that this post wasn't really about THAT, but I just wanted to clarify in case you'd lumped us keto/low carb folks into your "crazy whacko" category. LOL. You're on point with everything else. LOL

People with medical conditions needing to cut out food groups because of those conditions goes without saying, so I didn't say it. Obviously celiacs need to cut out gluten, T1 diabetics need to monitor sugars, T2 diabetics need to monitor total carbs, etc.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm experimenting with an intermittent fast. It doesn't mean I'm adopting it, I'm just trying to see how it works for two weeks. Then, going to research on it before I make decision to do it or not. It's checking for new options and trying new things. If there was no change, the bar would never be raised. No bar raised = no growth.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Im looking forward to all the new year new me stuff we are gonna get in January that always cracks me up!!

Now THAT sounds like a good time!
  • ValGogo
    Options

Me, me, MEMEMEME!
  • rjmolloy10
    rjmolloy10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am shocked, shocked to hear that there might be idiots on an internet forum.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    n5262789977ce4.gif
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just wait until January.

LoL, I started in January and most of the friends I made then are long gone :)

You were one of my first friends here and we are both still going strong. Here's to us! :drinker:

Let's splurge and make it a glass of wine :)

Sounds good to me. My favorite is champagne.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You have to admit that it would be pretty boring if all threads went basically like this:

OP: I'm new here and have 100 lbs to lose. Any advice?

Response 1: Eat a balanced diet that meets your health and fitness goals and takes any medical conditions you may have into account. Eat at a reasonable deficit to lose about 1-2 lbs a week. Remain hydrated.

Response 2: ^^ this

Response 3: I agree.

Response 4: +1. This is what I do and it worked great for me.

OP: Thanks everyone!

(edited for typo)
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, common sense seems to be fading out little by little in the world all together, not just in fitness.