Protein for vegetarian

Options
Hi all,

I'm vegetarian and wondered if anyone has tips for adding any additional protein to my diet. Currently I'm struggling to get above 20% (for my macros) even when I have 2 eggs for lunch and tofu for dinner. I'm not keen on protein powders as really like to keep my food whole and recognisable!

I'm already at about 40% fat which rules out any more peanut butter or greek yoghurt etc despite their protein-adding possibilities. Any other ideas?! I'm wondering if there's something incredibly obvious and basic that I'm missing? Or perhaps this is the best I can do as a vegetarian which is ok too...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    % is a poor way to gauge your levels. If your on a 1200 calorie diet 20% will be very different to if your on a 3000 calorie diet so have a look at the amount of grams not the %. I'm a Vegan and have no issues hitting sufficient protein just go for a variety of foods. The below links will help

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Is peanut butter and greek yogurt more "whole or recognizable" than protein powder?

Anyway, Dannon Light and fit greek yogurt has 12P, 9C, and 0 fat.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You should just eat a steak or something.............
  • JTPug1980
    JTPug1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You should just eat a steak or something.............

Fist Bump to you good and logical sir!!!!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt has 12-15g of protein per serving
    Cottage Cheese has about 13g per serving
    Quinoa 8g per cup
    Pumpkin Seeds 7g per oz
    Most beans are 12g or so per serving
    Soy Milk 8g per serving
    Peanut Butter 8g per 2 tablespoon
    Almonds/other nuts about 8g per oz
    1 cup chopped broccoli 8g

Also Peas/Lentils/Garbanzo Beans/ Hummus/ Edamame
    Sesame / sunflower / poppy seeds/ chia seeds

:)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    It would help if you open your diary.

Top of mind: beans (chickpeas, pinto beans, cannellini, red kidney, edamame...), cheese, cottage cheese, egg whites, nuts, seeds, quinoa, tempeh, whole grains...
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If there is an Indian grocery nearby, you can get Nutrela (soy chunks).
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    beans
    lentils
    nuts
    seitan
    tempeh
    TVP
    quinoa
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    20 percent of your diet from protein is probably fine. I only eat 15 percent of my calories from protein.

That being said, for more protein without fat try egg whites, beans, non fat or skim milk dairy products.
  • Brittni__duh
    Brittni__duh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Add some seitan or TVP.

Delicious and versatile.
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So many varieties of vegetarians, so many different choices. If all you want to eat are things that don't have the ability to move on their own (I'd use nervous systems, but some plants have that) - beans, quinoa and a whole host of foods easily googled are available.

If you start getting into byproducts of living things (which still has some living animal cells in it) you've always got eggs, milk and recycled feces (yes its a thing, and you shouldn't be eating and reading this anyway).

Worms actually have a lot of protein. Plankton is also pretty good, way down on food chain but lots of protein.

I'd rather be a vegan than argue with one about whether its a choice or an eating disorder.

Good Luck!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Seitan...super easy to make, super versatile, low in calories, and super filling...and it's also really cheap.
    Beans....I make mock tuna with chick peas
    Lentil Soup
    low-fat part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks
    a variety of seeds
    low fat cottage cheese
    whole grains and whole grain bread
  • AnjaliSD
    AnjaliSD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lentils. My family has a lot of vegetarians in it and lentils seem to be the key to filling, low(er) fat meals with a decent amount of protein.

They're also really cheap and relatively easy to make!
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to eat over 20% of your calories from protein?! Only 10% are supposed to come from protein....I'd suggest more carbs.
  • anna_primrose
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I probably should have been clearer that I was looking for foods that don't also up my carb intake (eg beans) at the same time. I've been trying to hit 40% carbs, 30 fat and 30 protein as a lot of the macro fans out there find it a good ratio.

I am scrapping that idea though - usually get about 70-75g of protein per day which is good enough for me right now. Thanks for the input, largely everything i'm already eating so was useful to know I'm not missing anything!