I am so angry! (Rant)

Options
At my last weigh in at the dr. office a month ago, I had lost a total of 33 pounds. That took 2 months of 1600 calories and at least 30 minutes a day exercising.

Dr. put me on new medications last month for issues I do not want to discuss here.

At todays appointment weigh in I had gained 26 lbs!!!! In one month! WTH!

Dr. looked at my MFP logs and said I was doing well and that this rapid gain was from the medications and to try different medications and we'll see how that goes for 2 weeks and that I should expect some gains/losses but it will even out eventually when we get the medications figured out.

And yes, I am being brutally honest with weighing, measuring, and reporting food.

It's so frustrating.

And I hate that the ad at the side of this page is for rice krispies cereal!

*end rant*

Replies

• rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear
    that is a massive gain. I understand why you would
    be so devastated.

but as you said you are doing all the right things
    hopefully you can get your medication sorted
    and be back on track :-)
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    Awww I understand your frustration.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    That must have been hard to see - but try and look at it this way - your doctor is sympathetic and trying to help you find the right medication. Hopefully that will sort out the weight gain issue.

Also you could have gained that by going on the medication without losing the weight first - then you'd be way heavier now than you started out.

You are doing the right things, and you know that because they were working well for you. Your bosy is adjusting to some changes right now - once it's done that and settled back down those right things will help you shift the weight back off again.

Please don't let your current anger and some c****y medication stop you from getting to where you want to be.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor say it could be water retention from the medication? In which case you can lose it?
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Did you feel hungrier on the meds? I think that some meds can make you feel super hungry and thats how you end up gaining the weight. Its positive that your dr is happy to try you in a different med. I hope it works out better than the last one x
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Aww. That can definitely be frustrating! Boo for your doctor not making you aware of that potential side effect. :(

Hang in there. A gain like that so very quickly definitely seems like it might be mostly if not all water weight ... and thankfully that comes off quickly! Give it a couple more weeks doing all the tracking you've been doing (and time for the meds to work their way out of your body) and I bet you'll see a dramatic drop again soon :)

Sending happy thoughts and lots of determination & fortitude your way. :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Almost a pound a day - a lot of that has to be water retention, if you're okay with your logging. Hopefully you and your doctor will get your medications balanced soon, and you'll be able to drop that gain. In the meantime, it sucks big time, but it's better to be well.

Hugs, and good luck.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is Prednisone involved or something in that family? If so there isn't much you can do about that. Been there, done that on Prednisone. Ballooned up seemed like overnight. Plus side after I was off it the gained weight fell off.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and keep up your good habits ( calorie deficit and exercise)! These habits made your weight loss possible and hopefully you will get your medication adjusted and be back on track.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I totally understand that frustration, but be very thankful the Dr is working with you to find meds that will help your issues, and keep the weight down. I had a Dr a while ago that told me just to deal with it, we had to stick with the meds I was on. Needless to say I found a new Dr after that.:grumble:
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    And I hate that the ad at the side of this page is for rice krispies cereal!

I cannot believe that people don't use extensions to block ads. You WANT to see all those ads?
  • Pookerz
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I really needed it. Today is a new day and I won't give up. Thank you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. It has to terrible. I hope your doctor and you get it all worked out and the weight comes back off soon.

My ad urges me to "conoce más" about the Clorox wipe. "Limpieza y desinfección en cada wipe. Gracias al respaldo de Clorox." :D
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i can relate. on prednisone... have managed not to gain what i've recently lost... but that's about it. i have fought tooth and nail to stay where I am for the last 2 months. oh and now my hair is shedding at an exponential rate more than usual. and it makes me pee all night. ugh.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't have any words of wisdom but wanted to offer some support ... I have been there and I have felt your frustration.

I hope your meds get sorted out :flowerforyou:
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh man .. Sorry to read this. This must be terrible.
    Are there any chances to switch drugs?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Prednisone and Loestrin were meds in my past that caused major precipitous weight gain. It does suck, and I'm sorry you're dealing with that.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,405 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. It has to terrible. I hope your doctor and you get it all worked out and the weight comes back off soon.

My ad urges me to "conoce más" about the Clorox wipe. "Limpieza y desinfección en cada wipe. Gracias al respaldo de Clorox." :D

My add is for Domino's deep dish pizza :P
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor say it could be water retention from the medication? In which case you can lose it?

It's almost certainly water, unless the medicine itself is extremely high calorie.
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I can see how frustrating that could be!

My best friend was put on anti-depression medication that caused a lot of weight gain. It made her even more depressed. We started hiking and signing up for races together. She quit the meds and lost the weight and is now looking for healthy ways to find joy. I have no idea what your medical issues are, but I wish you the best and hope that you feel better soon.