Healthy Pizza?

Options
Spitfirex007
Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
I love my pizza! But of course it's very bad for you. So I thought about taking a whole wheat tortilla shell. Little mozz cheese, light pizza sauce and then covering it with mushrooms, peppers and anything else I can find.

Anybody have better suggestions?

Replies

• Pattilynne
    Options
    we actually do that quite often at our house... that way i get my healthy pizza and whoever wants wierd/disgusting/strange combos gets theirs and its not touching my pizza
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do it ALL the time! There is a thread on here that talks about various ways to make pizza out of tortillas or flat bread.

I have recently started making them on corn tortillas - two tortillas are only 100! Add your toppings and you will have an awesome lunch or dinner for a little over 250 calories (depending on your toppings of course).

I recommend lightly spraying your tortilla with olive oil or other cooking spray and heating in the oven for 5-7 minutes while you get your toppings ready. I then add my toppings and bake an additional 10 - 12 minutes. I like a crisp crust and this ensures that to be the case!
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    Flat-out flatbread is great and taste more like pizza crust vs. whole wheat tortillas. I cook mine in the toaster oven for a quick, delicious meal.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I do it ALL the time! There is a thread on here that talks about various ways to make pizza out of tortillas or flat bread.

I have recently started making them on corn tortillas - two tortillas are only 100! Add your toppings and you will have an awesome lunch or dinner for a little over 250 calories (depending on your toppings of course).

I recommend lightly spraying your tortilla with olive oil or other cooking spray and heating in the oven for 5-7 minutes while you get your toppings ready. I then add my toppings and bake an additional 10 - 12 minutes. I like a crisp crust and this ensures that to be the case!

Oooh! I may have to try this. I'm [supposed to be] gluten free. Never thought of the corn tortillas! Thanks for mentioning this!
  • DawniesLife
    Options
    We have made pizza at home the following ways so far:

Flat Out - Flat Bread Healthy Grain Harvest Wheat, 1 flatbread
    Meijer - Chunky Marinara Pasta Sauce, 1/2 Cup (125g)
    Gv - Garlic Powder, 1/4 tsp
    Generic (Fresh) - Portabella Mushroom, 2 oz
    Sargento - Classic Mozzarella (Shredded), 1/4 cup
    Hormel - Turkey Pepperoni Slices, 17 slices
    345 calories. Of course you could use other toppings. I am thinking about making a spinach one soon, roma tomatoes. The possibilities are endless!

Also before we started using the above ingredients we made this pizza:

Arnold Sandwich Thins- Whole Grain White - Bread, 1 roll
    Kraft - Shredded Italian Five Cheese Blend, 1/4 cup
    265 calories. Of course like above you can make them to your own taste.

Looking forward to seeing others replies!
  • leweverling
    Options
    I used whole wheat pita breads, and a variety of toppings, grilled chicken, turkey pepperoni, veggies etc then everyone could have their favorite toppings and still enjoy a healthy pizza. Was always fun and they were nice to have pre-made to reheat for lunch at work etc.
  • booch221
    booch221 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There was this recipe a while back on making pizza crust out of "riced" cauliflower.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/130577-you-asked-for-it-cauli-crust-pizza-pics?page=5
    I must admit I was very skeptical of this recipe but went ahead and tried it. It's really good! Low carbs too. I put pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni and only a little cheese on top, since the crust already has cheese in it.

I wasn't sure how to "rice" cauliflower, but I found a good video here:
    http://video.about.com/lowcarbdiets/Low-Carb-Cauliflower-Rice.htm
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I use Boboli brand whole wheat pizza crust and I love it!! 1/6th of the crust alone is like 120 calories and I top it with sauce, a little cheese, maybe some sauteed chicken chunks and lots of peppers and muchrooms (no salt added). I love it and with the toppings a serving is less than 200 calories.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I just tried on of these tonight. It was delicious!! Way better then I thought.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Flatout pizza ALL THE WAY! It tastes like thin crust and is super yummy!
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I make a healthy pizza with a thin, whole wheat pre-made pizza crust, organic pizza sauce, low-fat shredded mozza, turkey pepperoni and diced pineapple. Seriously tastes like "real" pizza, but 1/4 of the guilt.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    We made pizzas on Monday night that weren't too bad. I have a Biggest Loser cookbook that uses portobella mushroom caps as a crust. Flip the mushroom over, pour in your sauce, add your toppings and cook for 7-10 minutes at 375. We added turkey pepperoni and canadian bacon slices with fat free mozzarella. You have to eat them with a fork, which was weird, but they were good and they were only 97 calories each!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    There's a company called Pizza Fit n' Free ..fat free pizzas, all you do is add your toppings. They're a bit pricey, but it's all in what's worth it to you :)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I always make my crust at home. I use whole grain flour and flax seed. I usually make a pizza for me with lots of fresh veggies and a little cheese, and then another for the boys with lots of veggies, a little meat and lots of cheese.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I am a big fan of the tortilla pizza. I love pizza too, but take out options are not so healthy.

My favorite toppings are ham and pineapple! :)
  • tuliplor
    tuliplor Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I wanted Bagel Bites, but we didn’t want the calories!! SO, we tried to make something healthier.

Arnold Select Mini Pizzas 200 calories or less

1 Arnold Select bun…both sides – OR 100 calorie English muffin
    1 tbsp. Healthy Ragu or low fat spaghetti sauce on each bun
    1/4 cup low fat or regular shredded mozzarella cheese
    Canned mushrooms
    Add any veggies you might like –Green peppers etc.

We baked in the oven on 350 for 10 min. Watch for cheese to melt. You can also make these in the toaster oven.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We have made pizza at home the following ways so far:

Flat Out - Flat Bread Healthy Grain Harvest Wheat, 1 flatbread
    Gv - Garlic Powder, 1/4 tsp
    Sargento - Classic Mozzarella (Shredded), 1/4 cup
    Hormel - Turkey Pepperoni Slices, 17 slices
    345 calories. Of course you could use other toppings. I am thinking about making a spinach one soon, roma tomatoes. The possibilities are endless!

Also before we started using the above ingredients we made this pizza:

Arnold Sandwich Thins- Whole Grain White - Bread, 1 roll
    Kraft - Shredded Italian Five Cheese Blend, 1/4 cup
    265 calories. Of course like above you can make them to your own taste.

Looking forward to seeing others replies!

sounds delish
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to make mini pizza's all the time with english muffins and tonight I made some but tried to make them "healthier" this time.

IMAG0159.jpg

These ended up being 278 calories and so yummy!! I watch my sodium so trying to find low sodium ingredients to use on these wasn't very easy but they are out there and just as tasty. I also used turkey pepperoni instead of regular, couldn't tell the difference! I will certainly be making these again. I LOVE pizza so i'm just happy that there is a viable alternative for me when my husband wants to have regular pizza. This will certainly reduce my temptation to eat some of his :)