Moderate or Vigorous? (Stationary Bike)

Options
Hello Everyone!

I'm really not sure how I should log my workout on the recumbent stationary bike, moderate or vigorous? I am doing 40 minutes, at 14-17 mph, and doing 76-80% of my THR the entire time. I am covered in sweat by the time I'm done, and I wouldn't be able to read or hold conversation while doing it. I currently do the preset fat burning program at a level 5 so it goes from a level 5 resistance to a level 3 and back again every 2 minutes. Would this qualify more as a moderate or vigorous effort in your opinion?

Thanks!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd personally call that moderate.

Vigorous is something I'd classify as a half hour or hour long sprint interval workout.
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    Options
    Okay, thanks, I'll be sure to log it as moderate :)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I do stationary bike workouts a lot and had the same question. In a First Place 4 Health book, I found this description of the rankings by average mph...

Very Light - 10 mph or Less
    Light - 10-13 mph
    Moderate - 13-16 mph
    Difficult - 17 mph and up

That said, I just log in the calories burned that the machine says I've done, MFP numbers tend to overestimate. I also do intervals w/increasing resistance, at this point levels 13-16, so I'm maxed out on my machine for resistance. Now I'm trying to increase RPMs and keep them constant at each level of resistance. Enjoy the "rides." ;-)
  • ThatOneNerdyChick
    Options
    Thank you for the info! So yes, that means I completely fall into the "moderate" category as of now.
    I am still working my way up as far as the levels and programs, I started about two weeks ago, tomorrow I'll be doing level 6. Hopefully one day I'll be able to max out the machine too! :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, those numbers are for someone new to cycling at best.

For me, a moderate spin is somewhere between 16 and 20mph on my trainer with varying load. On the road, a moderate pace on a flat area is probably 18-20.

I know guys who cruise at 24mph, and vigorous for them would be a sprint over that.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Vigorous is something I'd classify as a half hour or hour long sprint interval workout.

Vigorous isn't about time it's about effort.
  • joanrigdon
    joanrigdon Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm going with the Mayo Clinic on this one: light, moderate and vigorous are determined by your heart rate during exercise divided by max heart rate, which is 220 minus your age. If the heart rate (beats per min) / max heart rate is between 50% and 75%, that's considered "moderate." Higher is considered vigorous. Here's the article which also includes info on how to calculate your training zones. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887?pg=2
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    gvizzle74 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Vigorous isn't about time it's about effort.

Agreed.
    The speeds you are doing will also improve your heart health, the circuits will induce your body to burn lard for a good while after your workout is finished, so your bike workout is more than just calorific value. Which is why cycling is MAGIC!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    This one has to rank high among MFP zombie threads..