Weight training & Cardio on the same day

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do which ever is most important for you first..

on days when i do lifting and cardio and cant break it up into 2 separation sessions, i do weights first because i lift for strength and that's the one i need the most energy for. i can't imagine trying to deadlift 230 # after having done 45 minutes of cardio :noway:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I always start with 5 min of elliptical to warm up but hard cardio is always afterwards. Not sure if it's ur ing fat bit I feel like I'm working hard!
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    A lot of the people who posted are correct. I would do strengthen first than cardio and it shouldn't affect you negative at all. The only way it will is if you negatively is if you are trying to build bulky muscles.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Quick question, on the days where my programme has me doing both cardio & weights on the same day, is it better to do the cardio 1st (but therefore tiring my body) or to do the cardio last (which can sometimes lead to skipping it because I am tired). Is there a rule?

Depends on your goals.

If you are planning/training to run a race in the future, then you'd want to do the cardio first and maybe the strength later in the day (especially if you are doing legs the same day).

If your main goal is body composition, strength increase and such, then you'll want to cardio last.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like weights first and HITT last
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I always do my cardio after lifting. I've read that it's better for your body to do it that way, but the real reason I do it is I sweat a lot while running and don't want to get all the equipment drenched in sweat.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've heard that while there haven't been any controlled studies done to show clear benefits of either order, that a lot of doctors believe that doing a warm up followed by weights will deplete your glycogen/glucose storage… so that your cardio is all fat burning. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if any of this is true… but that's what I've heard. That's typically the order I do it in, but like you, sometimes after weights (particularly my leg days), I'm so worn out that cardio is akin to torture. I'm thinking I'll switch it up just on my leg days and do cardio first. Just to see how I feel.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weights then Cardio..........ALWAYS!!!!!! If you do Cardio before weights, 3 things will happen: You will gain weight, destroy your metabolism AND you will have decreased sex drive. SO be careful!!! I saw this on Dr. Oz, so you know its true. Good Luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Weights then Cardio..........ALWAYS!!!!!! If you do Cardio before weights, 3 things will happen: You will gain weight, destroy your metabolism AND you will have decreased sex drive. SO be careful!!! I saw this on Dr. Oz, so you know its true. Good Luck

If Dr Oz says so then it must be true! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've heard that while there haven't been any controlled studies done to show clear benefits of either order, that a lot of doctors believe that doing a warm up followed by weights will deplete your glycogen/glucose storage… so that your cardio is all fat burning. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if any of this is true… but that's what I've heard. That's typically the order I do it in, but like you, sometimes after weights (particularly my leg days), I'm so worn out that cardio is akin to torture. I'm thinking I'll switch it up just on my leg days and do cardio first. Just to see how I feel.

Very few people will ever reach a point in a workout where they exhaust their glycogen stores. And if you do, you become so debilitated you can barely exercise at all--so that vaunted "fat burning" will never occur anyhow.
  • jakichan
    jakichan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ive heard you should do weight first then cardio. Thats how I do it because like you after cardio sometimes I dont feel like doing weights.

This x1000. If I'm doing the cardio "right" (high-intensity intervals) then lifting weights is the last thing I want to do after. :)
  • HardLocker
    HardLocker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It depends on howyou feel . There is no rule at all. Sometimes I do cardio before lifting and guess what ? No energy loss . You know yourself better than anybody else
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes any difference at all, but if I did them separately, I'd do the weights first because after the cardio, I just want to flop down for a bit.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If I have energy left to do cardio on a lifting day, then I didn't train hard enough... :laugh:
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I read cardio is supposed to be last so that's what I do weights first
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I've googled this in the past and the final answer is that it really doesn't matter which you do first.

I've read that you are less tired if you do strength training before cardio... something about how your body uses a bit of anaerobic energy before aerobic... I don't know, but at the end of the article it stated the same as the others-- that it really didn't matter which you did first.

I find that I am less motivated to do cardio if I save it for last, so I started doing cardio first.

Now, I'm trying something new. I'm doing calisthenics first, then treadmill, then weights. Calisthenics warm me up better than doing a warm-up walk on the treadmill.
  • tayleigh4
    tayleigh4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Strength training first and then cardio. You burn FAT while doing cardio after you strength train, and your heart rate is the highest.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    every single day...unless you are a power lifter or training for the Olympics....cardio is good for your heart every day.....

this is just my personal opinion...only