Have I hurt my 8 year old's self image???

Options
13»

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    jmho! self image is what you think about yourself right? kids aren't dumb. they may not care much about what they look like when they are young, but they will....just give it a few more years when she really starts thinking about boys! I'm sure she doesn't and will not like what she looks like when she looks in the mirror if she is overweight. you can't change that by telling her to love herself just the way she is and so on and so forth! be honest with her, teach her healthy habits. admit your mistakes to her and yall learn how to change your lifestyle together! her self image was hurt all those years of eating bad and watching you eat bad! not now, that you are trying to fix it. would it help your self esteem if someone told you everyday you are beautiful just the way you are?? no! you would still see the truth in pictures and when you look at yourself! someone lying to you would just hinder you from reaching your goals!! so i say go for it! more for you and your daughters health than anything! it's one of my pet pieves to see parents cramming mcdonalds and other highly processed junk food down there kids throat like it's okay. obesity is one of the greatest killers...why set your kid up for that? you wouldn't let your 9 yr old smoke cigarettes would you?? food high in fat and calories is the same thing. like i said, jmho! that's why i'm on this journey, i want to change my lifestyle and raise my son to eat healthy, regardless of what his genetics are! even kids with high metabolisms need to learn this same stuff. just b/c they can burn it off now, when they hit 30 and their metabolism slows down but they keep eating the way they always have, it will catch up with them. plus you can be skinny and still be just as unhealthy as someone obese that eats that same stuff. some people just show it on the outside easier ;)
  • kmvbear
    kmvbear Posts: 16
    Options
    I grew up with a Mother who was ALWAYS nagging me to lose weight. I would say that as a result, I am OBSESSED with food. She would lose weight by binging and purging. I learned how to eat, by watching her binge(didn't realize the purge part until I was older) and thought this was the 'normal' way to eat. Consequently, I have been overweight my entire life. As an adult, I have had to teach myself how to properly eat and control my binge eating mindset. I learned a lot from my Mother. I have had a damaged self image because of the snide remarks and downright angry comments to me about my body. I am strong and love my Mom. I forgive her for her actions, knowing that she had self-esteem issues herself and was just pojecting them onto me. So, back to the original question: "Have I hurt my 8 year old's self image?"- As long as you are being positive, teaching her to make smart decisions, complimenting her on her successes, and letting her know that she is loved for who she is, she will grow in ways unimaginable! Had my parent's taught me how to properly eat and exercise, I wouldn't be here today. Putting your kids through 'bootcamp' and forcing them to do things they are not interested in will only push them away. It sounds like your daughter trusts you and still looks to you for guidance, and that's not something you ever want to sacrifice. I would have never told my Mother the kid's made fun of me, because she would have just reinforced their cruelity. Be a role model for her, every girl needs a loving and caring Mother. Don't damage, protect.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Being teased and picked on at school will do more harm to her than you ever could. She came to you and that says that she trusts you to help her - and help yourself in the process. As long as you don't push her to do something she isn't ready for I don't think it can hurt her at all.

Just make sure she sees this a changing her life and getting healthy - not dieting and obsessing over calories and numbers on the scale.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a Mother who was ALWAYS nagging me to lose weight. I would say that as a result, I am OBSESSED with food. She would lose weight by binging and purging. I learned how to eat, by watching her binge(didn't realize the purge part until I was older) and thought this was the 'normal' way to eat. Consequently, I have been overweight my entire life. As an adult, I have had to teach myself how to properly eat and control my binge eating mindset. I learned a lot from my Mother.

I'm always interested in the things are parents "did" that make us who we are now. I find it impossible to recognize skinny or fat in people because my mom constantly point it out. I remember my mom telling me when I was about 6 about her diet this and her diet that. I remember her standing in the closet crying during one of her "fat" times, the thing about it is my mom was never obese, just a higher BMI at times, but never more then 30-40lbs overweight for her height.

Because of my mom's - I have learned never to diet. I gained weight because of an auto accident, and realized that I felt so terribly by the weight I'd gained, I needed to rethink my lifestyle. To my kids, food isn't what we focus on, it's physical activities. I believe if you instill a love and desire to be outside, moving, working, playing - that wanting to eat correctly follows it.

My kids have been taught to read labels because they have celiac disease, but this also makes them aware of serving sizes and portion control. We weight and measure all of our food to form good habits. My kids are 9 and 11 - they know my husband has had gout 20 times because of the beer and pizza :) They understand that food is connected to choices.

Thank you - for this topic - I think it's so often overlooked in raising children as we get busy by eating fast food too often and making the wrong choices for them from the beginning.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Talk to your daughter's school psychologist. He or she will have the best, most age appropriate information to give you on how to handle the situation both at school and at home.

Thank you for being an actively involved parent :)
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    As a mother and a daughter let me say that I can tell more than anything from your post that you love your daughter and have her best interest at heart. You both are admitting to having issues with your weight and you are working together to be healthier. I do not see anything wrong with that. Good luck to you and your daughter.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    From what you have said it would seem that you are doing a great job.
    She came to you with a problem and you took her serious. You guys are changing up your lifestyle and getting healthy. I dont read anywhere on your post that you are calling her names or 'depriving' her of junk that the rest of the family is eating. I think when you read an article about not talking to your kids about the being over weight, they are thinking of the parents who are constantly nagging.. your getting fat, you shouldnt eat that, my favorite that MY mother told me 'you know..YOUR dad said that IF you would just lose 20 pounds he wouldnt be able to keep the guys away from you'. Yeh...we will put that one on what NOT to tell your 16 year old daughter ;-*
    But you are so supportive and doing it as a fam I commend you. You are doing this as a lifestyle and to be healthy to enjoy life. I think it is fabulous and a great way to connect. I think that in the long run of it she will feel a closer bond.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think it's never harmful to teach lessons in good nutrition and exercise. I wouldn't focus on her body image or weight loss so much as good nutrition and her overall health. At her age learning to enjoy exercise is so important. Find a way to keep her active and having fun (swimming, dance, cheer ) whatever she enjoys. Plus keep the food things enjoyable for her, teach her moderation in the things she enjoys that aren't so healthy. Once in a while have an ice cream or a cookie out ( not eating these things every day makes them so special!).
  • bwarden08
    Options
    I have been in this situation my whole life!. I am 21 and I still battle with my weight, I got teased in school and I got really depressed.. My parents have been helpful when I was trying to loose weight but there are things that upset me and made me not wanna keep going.. So maybe if I tell you things that were helpful and the thing that hurt will help you with your daughter.

The Good:

*My parents made thing easier by completely removing things in the house that were not good for me, they let me pick out food I wanted at the store but it had to be healthy.
    *My parents would try to work out with me as much as possible.
    * My parents would take me out to eat on Saturday and I got to have whatever I wanted on Saturday.
    * They would let me go shopping for new clothes after I reached a goal weight
    * My parents tried not to focus on me completely losing weight but teaching me to live a better life style and be healthy

The Bad:
    *I hated when my parents would call me out when I did want something bad.."Brittny what are you eating, your not gonna lose weight by eating stuff like that"
    *It upset me when they would say small things like don't sit on that you might brake it lol
    * It upset when that ALL they would talk about and focus on.. my weight and what i ate and drank
    * when I gained weight our stopped losing it as fast they would tell me how they saw me eat or drink this and thats its not gonna help

The best thing you can do, Get involved with losing weight with her as much as possible. Rea sure her you wont this for her and it doesn't bother what she looks like, Focus on telling her and teaching her that's its not ALL about being skinny and having the perfect body but about being healthy and having healthy eating habits.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    I would have LOVED to have been taught about healthy eating in the way you are with your daughter.

I was forcibly placed on Weight Watchers at age 10/11 by my Mother and I spent a very long time obsessing over how many calories/points/sins a certain food was and I have this horrible memory of sneaking ONE GRAPE from the refridgerator and getting hauled over the coals in front of a school friend over it.

I still have a pretty awkward relationship with food because of this.

I think you're doing a great things for your daughter, hon, I really do and more than that - I admire it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • barberella
    Options
    This is a really good topic. I have a 5 year old daughter. And I'm scared. I mean, my mom was overweight and I watched her diet all the time. And I wish my mom would have taken the time to educate herself on how to properly diet and maintain weight, but she just had a love/hate relationship with food. Plus, I think she was an emotional eater as well growing up with an alcoholic father, her comfort was food, and still is. Now, I don't want my daughter to see me go through all that turmoil and that's why I try to educate her about what foods are good, and what's junk. I still allow her junk, but I limit it. When it comes to exercise, she sees me doing it, and she wants to do it with me. But I don't tell her that I'm doing it so I don't get fat, or cuz I'm trying to get rid of fat. I tell her it's because I want to be healthy. I also reward her when she chooses an apple over ice cream by telling her she made a good choice. I also don't keep a lot of crap in the house where that's all she sees.
    However, when she's around her dad's family. It's the total opposite. Her 15 year old sister is completey obese. She spends a lot of time with her cousins when she's around her dad's family, and her aunt tells me that they think I'm "depriving" her. And they don't believe I should deprive her and let her have what she wants at this age, and that I shouldn't be encouraging her to be active; that she will naturally be active cuz she's only 5. But I believe that it's not too early to start her with proper education of foods, and teaching her to be active. I remember living with her dad when his now 15 year old was only 9, and she had no interest in playing with other kids, but just wanting to hang out in front of the tv or computer. I don't want the same for my daughter. And because her dad (my kid's dad) would make fun of her and say things mean about her weight, as well as put her on a restrictive diet while the rest of us ate whatever, she became a very emotional eater and still is. She hoards food, and her appetite is insatiable. In fact, when I lost weight last year, I gave her a lot of my old clothes. I really do think education is the key and how you explain food and exercise to a kid, but not to make it a negative campaign ad against obesity; but more for promoting health.
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this myself. I am obese. Recently I have started becoming more aware of my eating, and I have started weighting myself daily. My son is 8 and he weights 63 pounds. Now he walks around saying that he is fat and needs to lose weight. Did I damage my son? I try not to say to much about my diet, but I am honest when he asks me. I always tell him that mommy needs to lose weight, not him.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I didnt go thru all the posts, but have you taken her to her DR and let her DR help you guys out? So glad your doing something now , kudos to you for helping her!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I think the difference is that she came to YOU and asked for help. I would definitely focus more on being healthy and making good choices with her over "losing weight"... but I say that knowing that she is about to get to the stage where MANY girls are a bit chubby before growing into their weight. She could be at that point now actually.

I have a little boy who is at a healthy weight... and I know that is different... but we talk a lot about making healthy choices. I may not eat some dessert or starchy food that he and my dh are having but I always try to emphasize that I don't want it and not that I "can't have that" too. We talk about foods that are healthy foods and foods that are "sometimes" foods that we don't eat every day (cookies, cake, chocolate milk mostly).

Good for you for being a mom your daughter felt she could come to when kids were teasing!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Maybe saying things like "let's make healthy food choices with x meal" or "x snack", "what shall we have"? "What do you think?" I think checking in with her, not making it a DIET or saying the D word (diet) will help. Positive reinforcement. Force nothing. Don't even talk about weight.

My mother was damaging to my own psyche. She would say "DON'T OPEN THE REFRIGERATOR" and "YOU'LL GET FAT" all the time. Well now I *am* fat. She has ED issues bordering on anorexia, she eats a salad every day and that is probably it because she's afraid of food. Yes she's a wingnut. My grandmother on my father's side? She had BED (Binge Eating Disorder) and I actually think it killed her. She would binge out on ice cream, eating an entire carton then she wouldn't eat for days to make up for it. How can that be healthy for your pancreas? It wasn't.

As for me, after walking a fairly long distance home, yes I was hungry, yes there should have been a snack in there instead of "YOU'RE GOING TO BE FAT" / "YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN YOUR DINNER". Btw, thx to my mother I think I have a terrible case of .....hypoglycemia due to this horrible attitude.....

But OP as far as you, I think if you just continue positive reinforcements, not making it a diet, you should be good with her.

And for the mom above talking about her son, my advice would be to keep reinforcing to your son that "you're not fat honey, you don't have to worry, you can eat anything" - just keep saying things like that to him.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/obesity/l/aa012503a.htm

The first goal in getting kids to a more healthy weight should actually not be weight loss. Instead, the usual recommendation is for kids to just stop gaining weight, and then, as they get taller, they can 'grow into' their weight.

Although trying to help overweight children lose weight is important, even more important may be trying to prevent them from becoming overweight in the first place. This too is not easy, but something that needs to be started in early childhood, especially if your child is at risk for becoming obese, like if they have overweight parents.

Targeting the behaviors that lead children to become overweight can be helpful in preventing your child from becoming overweight. These include unhealthy eating habits and a lack of physical activity and exercise.

Tips, both to prevent obesity and help your child lose weight, include:

* limiting the number of calories that your child drinks. For example, many kids drink too much juice and soda each day. Sticking to the usual recommend limits of 4-6 ounces of 100% fruit juice for children under age 6 years and only 8-12 ounces for older children can help to limit excessive weight gain.
    * limiting the amount of milk that younger children drink. Although drinking milk is important and it is a good source of calcium, too much milk can lead to your child becoming overweight. Obesity often starts in early childhood, with a common scenario being a child who drinks too much milk. Children usually only need about 16-24 ounces of milk each day.
    * avoiding frequent meals of fast food.
    * don't 'super size' your child's meals. A common problem that contributes to overweight children are meals with portions that are too large.
    * don't force younger children to 'clean their plates.' An important way to help children learn to eat healthy is for them to know that they can stop eating when they are full.
    * encourage regular exercise and physical activity in your children each day. This may include going for walks as a family, playing outside, riding a bike, or participating in organized sports, like soccer and baseball.
    * limit inactivity by setting strict limits on watching television and playing computer and video games.
    * avoiding allowing your children eat while watching TV. Instead, limit meals to the dinner table.
    * don't put too much of a focus on what your child eats. Remember not too restrict calories and instead, offer a healthy diet with 3 healthy meals (don't skip meals, especially breakfast) and a few snacks, and allow occasional treats. Talking to your child too much about calories, fat and dieting can actually cause more harm than good, leading to eating disorders.
    * know what your child is eating and where his calories are coming from.

And also important, be a good role model for your children by eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. Keep in mind that a healthy diet is usually low in saturated fat (<10% of calories) and cholesterol (<300 mg/d) and moderate in total fat (<30%–35% calories).
    Get Help

Losing weight is not easy and you may need to get extra help for your child. This will likely include your Pediatrician, who can monitor your child's weight gain and loss every few months, but it might also include a Registered Dietician, who can help you come up with a more healthy diet for your family.

If being overweight is affecting your child's mood or self-esteem, then a Child Psychologist might also be helpful.