Should I be worried?

Options
I've been using MFP for 58 days now and have lost 45 pounds. My starting weight was 450. Should I be concerned about having lost that much weight that fast?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    If you have been doing it healthy then no no need for concern. if you have basically starved yourself,used gimmicky weight loss supplements,things like that then I would be concerned.looked at a few pages in your diary. I would really watch the sodium though cut back on it and drink more water.too much salt is not healthy.I see that you eat a lot of frozen meals and those have HIGH amounts of sodium which is why you are going over your sodium. do you have issues with blood pressure?

also try to get more protein in your diet as well. I have that problem with not enough protein as well.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    For the amount you want to lose and you said you are using MFP resources then i think its good. Congrats on your progress.
  • sweetpea2820
    sweetpea2820 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    On "extreme weight lose" the show they usually are expected to lose 90 lbs or so in 90 days. So I am thinking 45 lbs in 45 days would go along with that. As long as you are eating well, drinking lots of water, and getting enough sleep it sounds reasonable. Anyhow congrats.
  • joshuafitch
    joshuafitch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been eating enough, should I go see a doctor or just start eating more?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    90 lbs in 90 days is a pound a day. which is not healthy and most of those weight loss shows they exercise for hours on end as well.if you lose a pound in a day its most likely water weight and not fat. But then again they say the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off. Just as long as its done the healthy way then there would be no reason to worry
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been eating enough, should I go see doctor or just start eating more?

There are some days it seems you eating quite a bit below your goal, but the food you're eating too is void of fruits and veggies. I'd suggest you start adding that in. Though seeing a nutritionist or dietician wouldn't hurt at all.
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been eating enough, should I go see a doctor or just start eating more?

Hey Joshua, when you say that you don't think you've been eating enough, is that based on your rapid loss, or a sense of hunger or feeling of sickness?

You know, I think it would be a good idea to see your doctor. He can probably answer your questions better than we can.

At the same time, it certainly wouldn't hurt to add 500 or so calories, even though I think you already average over 2000. There's still going to be a huge difference in calorie consumption between what you WERE eating, and now. Even adding some calories, you're still going to see rapid weight loss because of that.

Consider adding calories in the form of fruits and vegetables. You've done some of that already! You could have an apple with some peanut butter or PB2, and a banana, and maybe some baby carrots. Start small, but try to have some raw fruit and a raw or lightly cooked veggie, separate from the microwave meals, each day. 2000-3000 calories may be enough for you, but if most of those calories are from processed foods, you may be missing some important nutrients that occur in fresh plant-based foods.

I think you are doing great. You have logged steadily -- just keep up the good work and tweak things as needed, as you go.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Great job on your progress so far! That does seem to be quite a fast rate of loss, though. Since you have a relatively high starting weight, it makes a bit more sense - people with more to lose tend to lose faster - but it would probably be safer for you to slow down on the loss a bit. I'd say increase your daily calories, and seeing a doctor is never a bad idea! Good for your for being concerned and proactive about your health, rather than just overlooking the abnormally fast loss.
  • DaveV90
    Options
    No do not worry. As long as your lifestyle is conducive to a healthy body, eating nutrient dense food, moving the body through exercise, lowering mental and emotional stress on the body, you will be fine. Your body has an excess of adipose tissue, body fat, so it will start to shed maybe a lot because of how much extra it has. With the change in your lifestyle you send new "instructions" to your body as to what you prefer it to adapt to and it will respond accordingly. Trust your body and get in tune with the signals that it sends to you, when your hungry, thirsty, tired etc. The human body is intelligently designed and knows what to do. Trust it :smile:
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I started at a very high weight in August and have lost 21 pounds in a month. I think this is normal if one is starting out very heavy, but I assure you the loss will slow down.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't think its particularly concerning given your starting size. Enjoy the honeymoon period. You'll be wishing it was this easy later down the road.
  • joshuafitch
    joshuafitch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll start eating more fruits and veggies, and cut back on the sodium.
  • molls10m
    Options
    Congrats on your progress though! That is great :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I would also cook more meals if you have the time instead of eating the frozen dinners. it would be healthier and less calories and sodium and you can also cook a weeks worth of food and freeze it into meals that way you can just pop it in a skillet or microwave and heat it up.
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would also cook more meals if you have the time instead of eating the frozen dinners. it would be healthier and less calories and sodium and you can also cook a weeks worth of food and freeze it into meals that way you can just pop it in a skillet or microwave and heat it up.

But when standing up for any length of time is a challenge, and you've never really cooked before, the microwave meals are a lot easier. Later on down the road, I think Joshua is going to start to try these things. He's already eating broccoli. That's a big deal!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    it doesnt take a long time to cook some frozen veggies(some can be heated in the microwave) and add some meat.He never said standing was a challenge so how was I to know that? and making more than one meal at a time is a suggestion it helps to prevent having to cook for long periods of time as well.Its not hard to cook even if you havent done it before. you learn how to do these things just like anything else.

But when standing up for any length of time is a challenge, and you've never really cooked before, the microwave meals are a lot easier. Later on down the road, I think Joshua is going to start to try these things. He's already eating broccoli. That's a big deal!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss. As others have said considering the amount you have to lose I wouldn't be worried it will slow down at some point
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    first off, congrats!! that is awesome. the more weight you have to lose, the faster it usually comes off. if you are eating enough / exercising a reasonable amount then all should be fine. your body is actually going to do what it wants.. you cant really control it.

if you have drastically changed some habits like maybe drinking alot more water.. then maybe you are getting rid of alot of fluid buildup that you had.

try the website http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and do -20%. thats how much food you should be eating.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi Joshua, I can confirm that your weight loss rate resembles mine. I started at 298 and on my 60th day, I had lost about 45 lbs. and I felt great. I am under a doctor's supervision and he's not alarmed at all, in fact he's thrilled. I am losing faster than I planned, but I expect that will level off as I reach my goal and the final average will be somewhere closer to 2 lbs. a week.

I looked at your logs. If you do not have high blood pressure, I wouldn't worry about the sodium too much. It is coming from the pre-packaged and restaurant foods that you are eating. As you get more into this, you will gradually and naturally become inspired to change over to better choices a little at a time. Your sodium will come in line as that happens.

If you do have high blood pressure, then take a look at your daily logs and pick out the meals or choices that have the highest sodium -- be aware of those so that you repeat them less often. Replace them with something you make fresh from home, or find a different low-sodium pre-packaged choice. Foods labeled that they're Heart Smart or Heart Healthy might be an indication of lowered sodium, but read the label.

Hope that helps and congrats!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats.
    I like what others have said