Shoe Recommendations

Options
Help a girl out....what is the best running shoe, tennis shoe, or cross trainer in your opinion???

I LOVE my Reebok EasyTone tennis shoes (super comfy) BUT they do not provide the most stability (when doing things like Insanity) and I have terrible shin splints so I don't know if they are the best for running.

I'd appreicate any suggestions on footwear. :bigsmile:

Thanks bunches!

Replies

• rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Nike Free.....and I love them. I don't run, and can't say how they are for that exercise, but I love, love, love mine.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    I wear Reebox RUNtones!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get a professional fitting. They should really work with you, watch you walk and run in several pairs of shoes, and find the one that is just right for you. It's not that much more expensive, but soooooo important. :)
  • lilcrittert
    Options
    Anything by New Balance. After trying them a few years ago, it's the ONLY brand of sneaker I'll buy.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about running, but am doing Couch 2 5K so I went to a running shoe store and got fitted for some shoes based on my running style. I thanked them for their time and found the shoes online for about $35 cheaper.

I purchased a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 and they feel great!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get a professional fitting. They should really work with you, watch you walk and run in several pairs of shoes, and find the one that is just right for you. It's not that much more expensive, but soooooo important. :)

Agreed.

I used to have New Balance, and loved them.... then got Saucony and love them even more!
    I know nothing about running, but am doing Couch 2 5K so I went to a running shoe store and got fitted for some shoes based on my running style. I thanked them for their time and found the shoes online for about $35 cheaper.

I purchased a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 and they feel great!

Last time I got shoes I did the same thing!! I really didn't plan to - they were out of the size I needed in the color I wanted and were going to order them for me. Impatient as I am, I went online when I got home and found them MUCH cheaper online! (so called the store and told them I just changed my mind- I already knew they'd fit and exactly what I wanted.... otherwise I'd never have bought shoes online!)
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I just bought some Nike Free.....and I love them. I don't run, and can't say how they are for that exercise, but I love, love, love mine.

I use Nike Free shoes for running. And they, so far, are my favorite . . . I've been in several different styles of Nike's, New Balance and Mizuno . . . but these are my favs! I only run about 12-15 miles a week though, so higher miles might make a difference, but so far, no complaints. :0)
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store to get fitted...very cool. They explained the different styles and videotaped me running on a treadmill and recommended a shoe.
  • TeeTee11
    Options
    there are so many good ones to choose from. Everyone's feet are different so you have to get what feels right for you. Personally, I prefer the Nike + shoes
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i love the new balance. i have a pair for work, a pair for exercise, and a pair for around the house!
  • 951heather
    951heather Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My sister likes Asics running shoes.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I quadruple the sentiment of going to a running store. I wear Asics, but not eveyone likes them. Nike's are too narrow for my feet and there's something about New Balance that just doesn't work for me (in spite of them being predominiantly american made...i really, really wanted to like them but.......)

Thank them for their time, then go to Kohls.
  • Michelle_310
    Options
    All New Balance athletic shoes work for me!
  • jimtaki
    Options
    I've always been partial to Saucony. They've been around a long time and running has always been their forte. Another good brand is New Balance. Their thing is create a variety of sizes so you can get an almost custom fit shoe. Both brands can be pricey- ranging anwhere from $60 to well over $100. See if there is a store in your area that specializes in running and they can help you pick the right shoe for your style of running- pronate, run on your toes, etc. If running is something you are interested in, do not use cross trainers. They will just aggrivate your shin splints.
  • abeth1387
    Options
    I find Asics are the best sneakers. I used to work at ****'s Sporting Goods, so I have gone through my fair share of sneakers with all the great discounts I had. If you have a more narrow foot, Nike may be best for you. I think you can never go wrong with Asics though.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love Asic shoes, at the moment i have the DS Trainer which is a running shoe however you can still use it for the gym and classes.
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have bad shin splints too...you need to make sure your shoes are made for a Neutral foot, and has lots of cushioning. I wear ASICS but I still have problems with the shin splints. You have to find the right shoe for you. Also do a google search for Running shoe types, it will show you have to make a footprint and see if you have a high arch or low arch or no arch... and it will recommend different shoes for your type of pronating...it makes a difference. ALSO, the type of sock you wear is important too. I work for an athletic program at a university and I talked to our trainer about my shin splints and he told me to wear the socks that have the support all the way around the arch part of your foot. I bought some at TJMaxx last weekend for $5.99 (4 pair of Puma socks) It really does help with the shin splints.

Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

+1000

There is absolutely no point asking other people which shoes THEY like because they don’t have YOUR feet or YOUR running style.

The “best” running shoe for you is one that:

• Fits
    • Is suitable to your biomechanical needs (subject to whether you pronate / supinate etc, your stability needs etc)
    • Is suitable to your running style (forefoot runner, midfoot runner, heel striker…)
    • Is suitable to the surface you wish to train on (tarmac, trail, cross country, fell)
    • Is the right shoe in terms of purpose (high mileage training shoes versus racing flats)

What doesn’t matter are:

• Brand
    • Colour
    • Gimmicks (and I would include “tone” shoes in that)
    • What your best friend likes…
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I think you can never go wrong with Asics though.

If you put a neutral runner into a pair of Asics Kayanos, you will go wrong, because you're forcing a neutral arch onto a huge medial post in the shoe that the runner doesn't require, and force the foot into supination. Injury waiting to happen.

If you put a severe pronator into a pair of Asics Nimbus, you will go wrong, because you're putting a pronating foot into a shoe with zero stability, resulting in lack of correction. Injury waiting to happen.

Brand means nothing, when the chosen technology is not appropriate to the runner's mechanics.

If you work in a sports shop you should know this.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options

+1000

There is absolutely no point asking other people which shoes THEY like because they don’t have YOUR feet or YOUR running style.

The “best” running shoe for you is one that:

• Fits
    • Is suitable to your biomechanical needs (subject to whether you pronate / supinate etc, your stability needs etc)
    • Is suitable to your running style (forefoot runner, midfoot runner, heel striker…)
    • Is suitable to the surface you wish to train on (tarmac, trail, cross country, fell)
    • Is the right shoe in terms of purpose (high mileage training shoes versus racing flats)

What doesn’t matter are:

• Brand
    • Colour
    • Gimmicks (and I would include “tone” shoes in that)
    • What your best friend likes…

This is an A+ answer!!!