Could my body be...confused??

Options

Replies

• Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    As you've come to find - dieting is crap. Fad diets are crap. Listening to your body and merely eating healthy with a calorie deficit is what works if you want to be healthy & lose a bit of weight. It's hard at first since we're not necessarily used to providing our bodies with the proper foods, but with a bit of education and practice, you can learn to interpret your cravings and how to satisfy them with foods that won't negatively impact your weight loss efforts, or health. :)

Have you tried aiming for the 40/30/30 macronutrients? This is generally helpful when starting out - not something you need to obsessively stick to but something you can estimate/sorta aim for - and something that should help you in making more aware choices.

(That is assuming you don't have a gluten intolerance, your gallbladder removed, etc., in which case, a gluten free diet, a low fat diet, etc., would be required for medical reasons.)
  • TrulyBeee
    TrulyBeee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said about the sodium intake but I also think you eat a lot of bread. For me, that makes me feel sluggish and I have found my body has a harder time digesting. Maybe cut down the bread products (including tortillas) down to only one meal a day or not at all. Try to switch up your fruit and vegetable intake so it does not have a placebo affect on your body. I would also love to know what exercises you are doing to combat the intake.
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    *waves* As someone that had similar goals (215 to 150, 15 lbs from goal now) I just wanted to say YAY go you! I'd advise checking out the stickied post about your guide to sexy pants. It was really really useful. Did I mention REALLY?

One thing you will hear over and over and over is to get a food scale and USE it. It can be a pain at the start but now I don't know what I'd do without it. It also will help you realize that yeah, you probably are over eating. A good general rule is to over estimate your calories eaten and under estimate your calories burned.

Good luck!!

I do have a food scale and agree I was WAYYYY underestimating in the past, but these past weeks I've been using it pretty diligently :) I'm not sure what a stickied post is and where to find it???

Thank you for your help~!
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    I see you just changed your daily goal so hopefully other folks will keep that in mind. When I first went in, it was 1574, now it's 1400. I also noticed you were over some days but on average you were only over by like 50 calories and that wouldn't be enough to make you not lose weight.

1) The 1400 might help you out. I know for me, it can help to have a lower goal so I don' have to worry about any logging errors and it gives me wiggle room if I decide I need an extra snack. In the back of my mind, I know going over 100 or so isn't going to ruin my progress.

You should find a calculator online, to calculate your BMR/caloric needs. DO NOT go by MFP's recommendations or somebody else's (unless they're a physician/have a medical degree that is), since MFP doesn't tend to be rather accurate with such, and people' caloric need are vastly different, depending on their currently weight/height/activity level, and goal weight/height.

If you want, you have the option of manually going in and changing your daily calorie goal, if you want to use such a calculator.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You may have to make different meals for yourself than your family. My husband and I are vegetarians, my kids are not although one eats some of the vegetarian meals more. They get meat and we don't. You have to find what works for you and go from there.
  • McGristy
    Options
    As you've come to find - dieting is crap. Fad diets are crap. Listening to your body and merely eating healthy with a calorie deficit is what works if you want to be healthy & lose a bit of weight. It's hard at first since we're not necessarily used to providing our bodies with the proper foods, but with a bit of education and practice, you can learn to interpret your cravings and how to satisfy them with foods that won't negatively impact your weight loss efforts, or health. :)

Have you tried aiming for the 40/30/30 macronutrients? This is generally helpful when starting out - not something you need to obsessively stick to but something you can estimate/sorta aim for - and something that should help you in making more aware choices.

(That is assuming you don't have a gluten intolerance, your gallbladder removed, etc., in which case, a gluten free diet, a low fat diet, etc., would be required for medical reasons.)

SOOOOO Much crap!! :sad: Haha. I'm not really using the macros yet. It makes it very complicated for me. I figured if I can just monitor my calorie intake and eat at a deficit for a while, when I get closer to my goal I can start in with the macros. But I might take another look. They're just so confusing, idk why. I know me enough to know, if something is like crazy work and I get too overwhelmed with it, I'm not going to stick to it if it makes my existence like a job. I don't mind tracking my calories for some reason though. I'm a mess...haha.
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't see you logging any water. Are you drinking throughout the day?
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You got some great advice, so I won't repeat it. To help you with perspective, I will say that it took me about 6 weeks to figure out how to log consistently and eat to calorie goal. I also did a ton of reading of very helpful posts (one of which was linked above) to figure out how to eat without feeling starved. Protein was a big piece of that puzzle for me. Give it time, do the research, be consistent, and you will reach your goals.

Here's a helpful compilation of a lot of the useful stuff on here. I still keep coming back to this, 7 months after starting this process:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • McGristy
    Options
    I see you just changed your daily goal so hopefully other folks will keep that in mind. When I first went in, it was 1574, now it's 1400. I also noticed you were over some days but on average you were only over by like 50 calories and that wouldn't be enough to make you not lose weight.

1) The 1400 might help you out. I know for me, it can help to have a lower goal so I don' have to worry about any logging errors and it gives me wiggle room if I decide I need an extra snack. In the back of my mind, I know going over 100 or so isn't going to ruin my progress.

You should find a calculator online, to calculate your BMR/caloric needs. DO NOT go by MFP's recommendations or somebody else's (unless they're a physician/have a medical degree that is), since MFP doesn't tend to be rather accurate with such, and people' caloric need are vastly different, depending on their currently weight/height/activity level, and goal weight/height.

If you want, you have the option of manually going in and changing your daily calorie goal, if you want to use such a calculator.

Yes, I don't use MFP's count for that reason. I went to other sites and used their calculators and sort of averaged their results. Which is why I changed the amount :) I try to stay between 1400 and 1650 on any given day. Each would provide me with a pretty good deficit.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This thread helped me a lot: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Also - bump up that exercise. Try to do a little something every day. There is stuff you can do with a child in tow, like situps on the floor, or pushups, or dancing to music. It might feel hard at first but as your body remembers its muscles it will start to feel good.

Also - your macros from yesterday tell a lot of the story. Listen to them. Lots of protein left in your goal, way too much sodium carb and fat. Try to balance that out better. Try to eat cleaner, not so much processed stuff with a ton of salt in it.

Best of luck!
  • McGristy
    Options
    I don't see you logging any water. Are you drinking throughout the day?

Yes, I only drink water and drink it regularly throughout the day :smile:
  • McGristy
    Options
    You got some great advice, so I won't repeat it. To help you with perspective, I will say that it took me about 6 weeks to figure out how to log consistently and eat to calorie goal. I also did a ton of reading of very helpful posts (one of which was linked above) to figure out how to eat without feeling starved. Protein was a big piece of that puzzle for me. Give it time, do the research, be consistent, and you will reach your goals.

Here's a helpful compilation of a lot of the useful stuff on here. I still keep coming back to this, 7 months after starting this process:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

:heart: :flowerforyou: Thank you very much!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypant

Both can be found in the Getting Started forum. I start at 246lbs, on MFP I was 226, and I am now 150.4lbs. In the food database you can look for food by the grams, so that kitchen scale should be use that way. Weight prepackaged food too, as it can be over or under the weight too.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Good luck!
  • McGristy
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypant

Both can be found in the Getting Started forum. I start at 246lbs, on MFP I was 226, and I am now 150.4lbs. In the food database you can look for food by the grams, so that kitchen scale should be use that way. Weight prepackaged food too, as it can be over or under the weight too.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Good luck!

Thank you so much!:drinker:
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You go over calories a lot and your sodium intake is through the roof. You need to cut sodium...

Unless a Dr. recommends a sodium reduction I wouldn't worry about it.
    Rigorous sodium deprivation can lower the blood pressure of some patients with essential hypertension (at best, 30% to 50% of patients). In the rest, sodium depletion is ineffective and, in some instances, can raise the blood pressure and cause adverse clinical effects. In normal persons, it is difficult to affect blood pressure even with drastic changes in salt intake; for the blood pressure to rise even slightly, it may be necessary to consume more than 800 meq/d. There is no evidence to indicate that a widely applied, moderate reduction of salt intake could prevent the development of hypertension. The evidence suggesting that such moderate salt intake would significantly lower blood pressure in the patients with sodium-sensitive essential hypertension is weak. Human hypertension comprises a heterogeneous spectrum of abnormal vasoconstriction-volume interactions. Sodium deprivation, like other forms of therapy, should be applied only to those patients in whom its effectiveness has been established. http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=696571

Sure, you may see weight fluctations related to water. Yesterday my sodium was 8K+, today I was up 1.2 pounds.
  • McGristy
    Options
    You go over calories a lot and your sodium intake is through the roof. You need to cut sodium...

Rigorous sodium deprivation can lower the blood pressure of some patients with essential hypertension (at best, 30% to 50% of patients). In the rest, sodium depletion is ineffective and, in some instances, can raise the blood pressure and cause adverse clinical effects. In normal persons, it is difficult to affect blood pressure even with drastic changes in salt intake; for the blood pressure to rise even slightly, it may be necessary to consume more than 800 meq/d. There is no evidence to indicate that a widely applied, moderate reduction of salt intake could prevent the development of hypertension. The evidence suggesting that such moderate salt intake would significantly lower blood pressure in the patients with sodium-sensitive essential hypertension is weak. Human hypertension comprises a heterogeneous spectrum of abnormal vasoconstriction-volume interactions. Sodium deprivation, like other forms of therapy, should be applied only to those patients in whom its effectiveness has been established. http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=696571

Sure, you may see weight fluctations related to water. Yesterday my sodium was 8K+, today I was up 1.2 pounds.

Thank you for this. I will say my blood pressure is always perfect and my cholesterol is normal. There is just sodium in EVERYTHING. I just need to start exercising more and lifting weights here and there. AND probably lessen the sodium where/when I can because I think it leeches calcium out of bones doesn't it?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Over consumption of sodium can mask fat loss, but it won't stop it. You may not see results as quickly if you're carrying a lot of extra water weight, but if you're in a deficit, you'll still lose. Being it's only been a couple of weeks, it COULD be your sodium intake, but you'd just have to give it more time.

Add in some exercise. If you choose to eat back exercise calories, I would suggest only doing half of what MFP tells you you've burned.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. I will say my blood pressure is always perfect and my cholesterol is normal. There is just sodium in EVERYTHING. I just need to start exercising more and lifting weights here and there. AND probably lessen the sodium where/when I can because I think it leeches calcium out of bones doesn't it?

High sodium intake can increase urinary calcium output but this can be mitigated by making sure dietary calcium and potassium intakes are sufficient.
  • McGristy
    Options
    Over consumption of sodium can mask fat loss, but it won't stop it. You may not see results as quickly if you're carrying a lot of extra water weight, but if you're in a deficit, you'll still lose. Being it's only been a couple of weeks, it COULD be your sodium intake, but you'd just have to give it more time.

Add in some exercise. If you choose to eat back exercise calories, I would suggest only doing half of what MFP tells you you've burned.

Yes! Thank you :) Being in a vegetarian household for the most part, sodium is soooooo high because we have to make up for what we can't eat with what we can. And truthfully we really don't eat THAT many processed foods. Most things are fresh, with a few things that aren't. I'm normally pretty good about that. So really lowering it tons would be quite the task. I have heard that MFP is a bit off base with it's accuracy as far as exercises goes, so if I do walk or do anything I really underestimate or don't even consider the calories as burned because I'm not sure. Is there more of an accurate website that has calorie estimates for different exercises does anyone know??
  • McGristy
    Options

High sodium intake can increase urinary calcium output but this can be mitigated by making sure dietary calcium and potassium intakes are sufficient.

Thank you :)